Captains announced

eball

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite impressed that Matt Schaub is still so respected by his teammates there, that the Texans named him captain. That's impressive.

GO BILLS!!!

People have been calling Fitzgerald "Schaub" for months and he just goes with it since no one ever got his name right here in Buffalo. Hes a good guy like that.

Why didn't the "media" try manufacturing the same story last year? Where were all the raised eyebrows when EJ wasn't named a captain then?

Anyone with a clue knows why they are manufacturing a story this year; it fits their narrative.

GO BILLS!!!

I like ej more than a wide majority on here, but there is potential the narrative they are inventing could later prove accurate. I know you are more dialed into the locker room but I wouldn't say its out of the question to say that the face of the franchise, the guy that is the unquestioned starter that you'd expect to get the "c" may also be a guy that teammates complained to the coach about last year and didnt get voted captain for a reason.... There have been hints of smoke around the guy this offseason. No proof of fire but we will see, I suppose.

3rd year overall, 2002. Stretching to make a point? Perhaps. But the larger point is that being a team captain has little to do with being a leader on the field, regardless of position. It's about locker room politics.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps? Year 3 was the guys first year starting and he was captain. The 6th round rookie backup isn't apples to apples by a long stretch with ej.

Even if ejs is totally meaningless (very possible) - the Brady argument was weak to bring out without disclaimer.

I like ej more than a wide majority on here, but there is potential the narrative they are inventing could later prove accurate. I know you are more dialed into the locker room but I wouldn't say its out of the question to say that the face of the franchise, the guy that is the unquestioned starter that you'd expect to get the "c" may also be a guy that teammates complained to the coach about last year and didnt get voted captain for a reason.... There have been hints of smoke around the guy this offseason. No proof of fire but we will see, I suppose.

Perhaps? Year 3 was the guys first year starting and he was captain. The 6th round rookie backup isn't apples to apples by a long stretch with ej.

Even if ejs is totally meaningless (very possible) - the Brady argument was weak to bring out without disclaimer.

As weak as my example was (and it truly was) it's not nearly as weak as the idea that EJ not being named a captain is some sort of big indicator. It simply isn't. Being named a captain has nothing to do with being a leader on the field. The bigger surprise would have been if he WAS named one of the captains. I just should have let the Big Ben example suffice on it's own. He was year 4 as someone already pointed out up thread.

Not sure I can appreciate the "media" establishing a narrative because it "might be true" in the future. Confirmation bias is a dangerous thing. We can look for future "stories" to be shoe-horned to fit the running narrative. There's a word for that type of journalism.

GO BILLS!!!

As weak as my example was (and it truly was) it's not nearly as weak as the idea that EJ not being named a captain is some sort of big indicator. It simply isn't. Being named a captain has nothing to do with being a leader on the field. The bigger surprise would have been if he WAS named one of the captains. I just should have let the Big Ben example suffice on it's own. He was year 4 as someone already pointed out up thread.

Not sure I can appreciate the "media" establishing a narrative because it "might be true" in the future. Confirmation bias is a dangerous thing. We can look for future "stories" to be shoe-horned to fit the running narrative. There's a word for that type of journalism.

GO BILLS!!!

my point being that they might be seeing some strife that we arent yet privy to, not that they were making things up and they might happen to be true.

and ill point to the big ben discussion point i added. dude was straight up disliked by teammates. that he wasnt a captain was for reasons that deserved to be a story. if thats the case here.... i dont get the impression that hes disliked personally, but if the rumors of vets going to marrone to voice concern about him as the qb are true..... that coupled with this are the types of things that might be signs of some lack of confidence in the guy from his teammates. that could be a story. or he could end the story with a great season.

and to the ben stories.... i just googled and this is the first to pop up -- i skimmed it and it hits on some of his leadership issues early on. i also remember him turning down teammates charity requests, guys complaining that he was embarrassing them when they went out together with his entitled attitude, etc... on top of the comments i saw in here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5132299

Edited by NoSaint