Am I the only one who still believes in EJ?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm judging him from his regular season games only. I think I am the only one left on EJ island. It's nice here. Umbrella drinks.

I don't see any point in giving up hope. "Obviously" the odds are stacking up against him with each grossly inaccurate throw.

What I liked about him coming out of FSU is that he kept the chains moving and put TD's on the board with his versatile skillset. I saw that as his saving grace during the potentially long period it was going to take to make him into a top NFL passer.

I think they have coached a lot of that ability out of him. Now he just looks like a very inaccurate pocket passer with a propensity to check it down. Those kind of limitations are very easy to defense.

They needed to realize that he was never a platinum prospect.......use the things he can do well even if it means risking him to injury or a shorter career.

You always need to be looking for your Manning or Brady if you intend to become a great franchise. History proves that is largely a numbers game so if you aren't always taking chances on young QB's you are just rolling dice rather than making a concerted effort to get a great one.

For whatever reason, EJ has smothered himself in FEAR. It was so painfully obvious @ the Tampa Bay game. It appeared to me that EJ could not wait to get off of the field, and the parallels to Trent Edwards are more than a little bit disturbing. He throws passes as soft as a feather, and still can't manage to find his targets with a shred of consistency.

I hope that he snaps out of it, but I say, odds are that he won't.

I read on a message board once, after an abysmal preseason, that professional athletes can flip it on and off like a light switch. Take it for what it's worth. B-)

For whatever reason, EJ has smothered himself in FEAR.

How so? Didn't see this in any way shape or form... I am only asking because I watch a lot of football and tend to have decent patten recognition, but missed this "painfully obvious" thing you mention.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I'm not too sure what you actually mean by this.

If you are meaning that you fully believe that he will develop into a Franchise QB, then I'm sorry Yolo, I hold that line of thought in similar disdain as I do those who fully believe that he will be a bust(likely more so as the odds are in the favour of the latter).

If however you are saying that you believe EJ still has a chance to become a Franchise QB, and you are giving your emotional/mental support to him 100%......then I totally agree. I'm all-in with that!

I think there is almost no chance of him becoming a franchise QB. He would have shown some signs of that by now. I do think he still has a fair chance of being a viable NFL starting QB. We should have a much better feel for that in about 2 months.

Whew whew whew whew whew (that's a grammar police sound effect, because I don't take myself that seriously).

Luckily that sound went off in my head before I hit post in response to this gem...has to be a joke...

Their are signs that there confidence in him could be well founded. They're could be surprises, of course.

As far as EJ island...I'll take a plot up on the left shoulder. I do believe, given the chance to develop, he will be fine. Orton is simply the punching bag in waiting for Bills fans, no better than Fitz. The Fact that the OL gets so little blame or talk in these EJ threads is bothersome to me. I am not an x & o's guy, but even I can see sucky line play.

The optimist in me says the line will grow, and get better, I am just not that confident in the guards though. This makes me believe that EJ will have a mediocre start to the season, and his growth will be seen in how he adapts. If he learns to adapt (to me, meaning to stop thinking and just play the situation in front of him) then he and the team will push for a wild card spot. If not, we will see Orton, the exact same QB as just about every QB over the past 18 seasons.

EJ has not been giver the best of opportunity to succeed. With the last years #1 receiver struggling to be a # 3 else ware and the # 2 cut this year EJ has not had the best WRs to work with to say the least. This preseason the O-line have been a revolving door and has not played great.

Still a young QB that is in development and has not yet had a good opportunity to prove himself.

What I hope is going to happen, which actually has a decent chance of happening: He's surprisingly good overall, mostly because of the solid run game and four very good WR, and he has his share of clunkers every game but makes enough completions (not perfect passes) to move the chains and put some points on the board and keep us in every game.

What I fear is going to happen, which also has a decent chance of happening: He starts out slow, he gets mad at himself, the fans start to razz him, which rattles him, and while he shows flashes of real ability, maybe even full games, he's just not good enough, and Marrone, worried for his job and career, panics early and goes to Orton.

What I think, if I had to bet, is the most likely to happen: Equal parts of the two scenarios play out at random moments, quarters, halves, games, and four game blocks. He looks great sometimes, even for long stretches, and he looks godawful other times. We are in a ton of close games and he pulls a few out but for various reasons we lose more than we win, and at the end of the year he is a tease.

And if you polled 32 GM around the league, about half think he is pretty good and about half think he is not that great. And we really don't know even after a season and a half if he is our guy.

Yuuuup!

I hope Orton plays football as well as he pads his bank account. First he manages to keep all of Jerry's signing bonus, then he gets this new contract from us. I wonder if he hopes to earn it holding a clip board.

Matt flynn, and Orton are now both laughing all the way to the bank.