Am I the only one who still believes in EJ?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm comfortable with *him*.

I'm not confident he'll develop with our OL and coaching staff. Which is a damned shame.

On another team, I think he'd develop into a pro bowler. On this team, I suspect he'll be replaced in a year or two.

Still feel the same after the first three games of the season.

I think he has the talent. I don't think he's being developed by the right people.

On board for what I guess. If you mean that he will be one of the top QBs in the NFL then no. If you mean that he can and will become a serviceable, middle of the road starting QB, then yes he still has that potential but he is not there yet.

I took "on board" to mean: willing to see how this plays out and not calling for his head (or trading him for guys like Tannehill) just yet.

I'm on board but I also think this week will tell a lot. The Chargers developed the blueprint for how to beat Manuel - pressure him up the middle and get him moving/panicking. Now it's up to the coaches and EJ to be able to counter that. Can he stand in the pocket and make throws under pressure, and can he be quicker at deciding to pull it down and run when he needs to?

If you watch Russell Wilson play, you notice how incredibly decisive he is about what each play offer him. He makes quick decisions and acts quickly on them. I wish I saw that level of decisiveness and then quickness out of EJ.

I'd like to see more of this.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I'm on board but I also think this week will tell a lot. The Chargers developed the blueprint for how to beat Manuel - pressure him up the middle and get him moving/panicking. Now it's up to the coaches and EJ to be able to counter that. Can he stand in the pocket and make throws under pressure, and can he be quicker at deciding to pull it down and run when he needs to?

If you watch Russell Wilson play, you notice how incredibly decisive he is about what each play offer him. He makes quick decisions and acts quickly on them. I wish I saw that level of decisiveness and then quickness out of EJ.

I agree that this is an important week. But for the whole team; not just EJ. He's not "the guy" to carry the team on his back if the defense isn't doing its part. I can't think of many (any?) QBs who have been that guy after a dozen starts.

He needs support from his O line and from his defense; neither of which did he get last week.

Not making excuses; merely offering explanations.

I still think this kid can be good, but fans need to stop demanding it immediately (not you, Billnut); this isn't Madden.

The decisiveness is definitely an area of "needs improvement," but just a second more might help him develop.

I'm sick of watching an incompetent QB....14 years and counting (minus one season with Bledsoe while the Defense sh*t the bed)...I don't care if it's Big Bird throwing the ball with some velocity, spiral, and on target on time to get this Offense clicking, just F-IN do it!

On board for what I guess. If you mean that he will be one of the top QBs in the NFL then no. If you mean that he can and will become a serviceable, middle of the road starting QB, then yes he still has that potential but he is not there yet.

on board as in, do you believe at this point that he can take this team to a winning record/ playoffs this season...

on board as in, do you believe at this point that he can take this team to a winning record/ playoffs this season...

If the Bills make it to the playoffs this season it will be due to something other than QB play, probably the defense.

Games where it will require the offense in general and QB in particular to carry the team, like last Sunday, won't go well in general this season anyway.

So based on your definition, I would be a no for this season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree that this is an important week. But for the whole team; not just EJ. He's not "the guy" to carry the team on his back if the defense isn't doing its part. I can't think of many (any?) QBs who have been that guy after a dozen starts.

He needs support from his O line and from his defense; neither of which did he get last week.

Not making excuses; merely offering explanations.

I still think this kid can be good, but fans need to stop demanding it immediately (not you, Billnut); this isn't Madden.

The decisiveness is definitely an area of "needs improvement," but just a second more might help him develop.

^^ agree with all of this. ^^

Ok here is the thing....

The Chargers just "wrote the book" on how to beat EJ. Football is like military operations. You force your opponent to react to what your doing. Until EJ counter-attacks what the the Chargers did to him.. all other teams will just keep doing it to him... like Fitzpatrick. Once teams knew Fitz could not throw deep they focused on the short game.

Football is about one-ups-manship. EJ has to learn what teams are trying to do to him and counter it successfully. The coaches have to help him. If he can not continue to change and improve, then he is JP Loseman/Trent Edwards. They never figured out/countered their own weaknesses.

Payton Manning has a book on him too... but the difference is he knows it and hides his weakness. Manning knows he can not scramble and throws away when flushed. Manning studies himself and his opponents, all the great ones do. Brady, Brees, and Rogers sure do.

Here is the upside... I think EJ rarely makes the same mistake twice. Which means we might not be anywhere near his ceiling. I think he has the athletic ability to be great. Can he keep improving to the point where makes teams react to him? I think he can, but it will take all year and maybe next year to get there.

Unfortunately, Bills fans are tired of losing and have lost patience already. For as smart of football fans that the Bills fans are.... we can be dumb and impatient. I think EJ (don't laugh) could be one of the greatest of all time as long as his learning curve keeps going up and he keeps fixing his mistakes.

He has been in 13 games, people!!! Most of last year he played hurt!!!! Relax!!!

Barring injury EJ needs the entire season to prove himself. With the uncertain ownership situation I wonder if he gets it if things start to turn sour. Front office and coaching staff are playing for their jobs and they know it. I rather give EJ the full season and if he can't cut it turn the page and look for his replacement.

Do you think he'll become more accurate over the course of a full season? Doubtful. You can't teach accuracy - or feel for the game.