Am I the only one who still believes in EJ?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably swimming upstream on this board on this, but I hope we use this time to try to develop EJ rather than close the book on him -- as presumably the original plan was last year with Kolb.

EJ certainly is not a finished product. We have A LOT invested in him. Jumping from the FSU offense (where he only had to read half the field and a disparity in talent much of the time) or any college offense to the NFL is quit a leap. Playing QB in the NFL is probably the most difficult job in sports.

I am not saying that the switch is a bad move for now - time will tell. I just hope that they treat it internally as an opportunity for EJ to develop without the weight of the team on his shoulders. EJ is a good kid with both raw and partially developed talent. There are very, very few who can make the leap to an NFL QB quickly. This might end up being a positive for EJ. I hope EJ and the team treat it as such.

Just my two cents.

The only solace I can take is that maybe the game is going too fast for EJ. That is the comment from every rookie that enters the NFL; The Speed of the game is so different it takes time to adjust.

You can see the game is slow for a 10 year vet like Rivers. Kyle Williams and the D-Line got a lot of pressure but Rivers looked at them like they were moving in slow motion and delivered the ball at the last second.

EJ got skittish with any movement on the D-Line and couldn't deliver the ball on time in a place where a receiver could make a play on the ball. It truly was trrrrible on Sunday. If you try to defend his play from last Sunday you just look silly because it was so so so so bad.

Now again with time maybe the game can slow down for EJ and he can look past the D-Line and deliver the ball downfield.

The problem is the rest of the team is built to win today not 3 years from now.

Kyle Williams, Dareus, Freddy Jackson, Spiller, Mario will probably all be out of town in 3 years. Maybe by then something might click with EJ.

My main source of frustration is that it is clearly just such a waste of potential. The Bills need only adequate QB play to win in 2014. EJ just isn't an adequate NFL QB in 2014. It doesn't matter what colored glasses you have on EJ doesn't look ready for 2014.

The Division is wide open and the Bills only need a game manager QB to win it.

My problem with that is he's just not a sufficient game manager because he simply won't fire the ball downfield enough. You can't fix the accuracy issues. They tried with Downing working round the clock with him on mechanics. It simply didn't work. He has all the physical attributes you want but he simply can't progress through his reads well enough. Look at the way his receivers look at him when he overthrows them by 5 yards. He's a likeable kid and everyone wanted him to be the guy....he just isn't ready to be. IMHO I also think this benching will be the last you see of him.