Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

If anyone is listening to Jonah Javad this thread is going to be back to doom and gloom and we're moving and blah blah blah. Watching him on the news pisses me off because he's making it sound like it's nothing but an auction and the money rules all and the team can end up in Toronto

He just doesn't really understand. It's a shame that someone like that is tasked with spreading the word. At any rate I wouldn't worry.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now the way it's being reported by him is that now Rogers or Tannenbaum will bid more than Pegula can and we will move to Toronto. This isn't an open auction because if it were then there would be a ton more bidders IMO

Yeah, he just doesn't understand. The fact that their bidding power is higher without JBJ is in fact true. Moving the team to Toronto is just not an option. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He's really been on top of this more than anyone, regardless of whose numbers you choose to believe. I wouldn't bet on it, but I tend to believe his.

Kryk and JW are the only ones I'm even bothering to read.

I think Jonah Javad is simply using time-tested clickbait tactics to drive traffic. "You won't believe how the Toronto group torpedoed the Bills long term future using this one weird trick."

While the absence of JBJ allows the Toronto group to submit a higher number in theory, the reality is that they would have to go through a myriad of machinations to do so. Eddie Jr. had to get permission from mom and sis and the rest of the Rogers trust just to become a member of the buying group in the first place and that in and of itself took a while. Rogers as a partner looks good on paper, but in reality it's mom, sis, and the rest of the trust pulling the strings that preclude any decisions he makes. Just not an ideal ownership scenario, especially from the NFL's point of view.

GO BILLS!!!

ok...i don't take this as any kind of threat...i still have faith in the trust...toronto group will provide no evidence of their intentions to keep the team in buffalo. I still have faith that the nfl does not want to piss off NYS and the governor who could potentially be president (i just threw up).

Yep. By NFL rule and owner is prohibited from owning a franchise in different sport UNLESS its a franchise in a different sport but in the same town.

Even this prohibition can likely be worked around. For example, Buffalonian Jeremy Jacobs is a gazillionaire who owns the Boston Bruins, but there was talk that if he wanted in on the Bills he might be able to sell his Bruins ownership to a relative or have a relative buy the Bills on paper while he in essence owned the team.

There also was talk of him not owning the team but investing substantially in a new stadium which the Bills would play and practice in essentially giving him free reign to be around the team and be intrinsically linked financially while not being the titled owner of the Bills.

You took all the fun out of it

While the absence of JBJ allows the Toronto group to submit a higher number in theory, the reality is that they would have to go through a myriad of machinations to do so. Eddie Jr. had to get permission from mom and sis and the rest of the Rogers trust just to become a member of the buying group in the first place and that in and of itself took a while. Rogers as a partner looks good on paper, but in reality it's mom, sis, and the rest of the trust pulling the strings that preclude any decisions he makes. Just not an ideal ownership scenario, especially from the NFL's point of view.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe this is the best way to look at it: with JBJ they had 0.000% chance and without him they 0.001%.

You took all the fun out of it

It stopped being all that fun quite a while ago. But, whatever.

Back to the TO group. Wouldn't they have to go back to square one, more or less? They aren't currently in the process, right? After all they constitute a new bidder. Now I suppose Morgan Stanley could fast-track them, as they have already been involved, albeit with a different group (one led by JBJ). But, for instance, did these guys attend the meetings with The Trust? Have they met Mary Wilson, and assured here their intentions are to keep the Bills in Buffalo? It seems to me, on a deal of this scale, it would take longer than a week to do all of the things necessary to make the Sept 9 deadline.

Again, not worried about these guys, just thinking out loud (and online).

It stopped being all that fun quite a while ago. But, whatever.

Back to the TO group. Wouldn't they have to go back to square one, more or less? They aren't currently in the process, right? After all they constitute a new bidder. Now I suppose Morgan Stanley could fast-track them, as they have already been involved, albeit with a different group (one led by JBJ). But, for instance, did these guys attend the meetings with The Trust? Have they met Mary Wilson, and assured here their intentions are to keep the Bills in Buffalo? It seems to me, on a deal of this scale, it would take longer than a week to do all of the things necessary to make the Sept 9 deadline.

Again, not worried about these guys, just thinking out loud (and online).

I agree it would take longer than a week if only because of the time constraints faced by the Toronto group. Morgan Stanley can fast track them all they want, but Eddie Rogers Jr. needs approval from mom, sis, and the rest of the Rogers trust before he can commit to any dollar amount above what was previously allowed. Unlike his dad, Eddie Jr. can't wear the big boy pants in this deal.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Could kicking JBJ out just be sending a message to him because he was talking to others (Jim Kelly) about joining them and deep down they have no chance of getting the team anyway?

It could. But that isn't what happened, in all likelihood.

Maybe this is the best way to look at it: with JBJ they had 0.000% chance and without him they 0.001%.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is bad news. They will regroup with the almost double in billions that TPegs has, all without having jbj in the way as a soft walleted front man.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Let's not kid ourselves, this is bad news. They will regroup with the almost double in billions that TPegs has, all without having jbj in the way as a soft walleted front man.

That makes no sense at all. I dont understand some of the comments here. Must be the doom and gloom attitude of Buffalo, but this scenario just isnt happening.

It's worth noting that (a) they do NOT have double the billions that El Pegual has; he's worth more than Forbes et al says, and (b) El Pegual has more cash on hand than these two put together, plus the ability to practically liquidate on command a few billion more. Rogers' money is tied up in a Trust with multiple non-family executors.

Kirby is, IMO, right on when he pegs their chances at 0.001%.

I mean, maybe Kelly has heard something I haven't, but all signs still point to El Pegual.

It's not good but if they are moving the team the trust won't pick them.

Are you sure? I don't think I've seen you say this before...

:lol: