Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was detrimental to their bid why hook up with him in the first place?

Not buying this at all. Their "restructuring" or whatever.

The league or Morgan Stanley is trying to squeeze Pegula as we approach submission of final bids.

They felt that they needed his relationships with Kraft, Jones and others to get through the process. At the time that they started talking (a few years back) they didn't necessarily know who else would be involved. At that time they probably thought that they could buy the team for $950M-$1B. In addition, they didn't know that the trust would basically force the next buyers to keep the team in WNY. My guess (just a guess) is that they try to come with a strong financial bid and make the trust reconsider their stance on WNY. As I understand it there is no chance of this but with JBJ they weren't actually capable of trying this.

What if the newly constituted Toronto group (assuming this is true) comes up with a bid that is significantly higher than Pegula? What does the Trust do then? I assume they would ask Pegula to match, but I am sure he has an upward limit as well.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 24s

Two sources in Bills sales process believe Bon Jovi group totally falling apart. They think Tanenbaum/Rogers remaining viable unlikely.

Hope it's true. It's what we've been hearing for a few weeks now (or what seems like a few weeks, anyway).

This helps and hurts them. Now they lack their in to the NFL, but worse for them, there is less than no way in hell they will now be thought to want anything other than to move the team to Toronto. They started with no chance to win and they continue to have no chance to win. To me, they are just going along with the NfL and Morgan Stanley to drive up the price for the inevitable sale to Pegula, for future considerations from the league should they mount another bid another time for another team.

That was a terrible report. He didn't even see to understand the issues. "Now all they have to do is convince the Trust they will keep the team in Buffalo." That gave me a good chuckle.

OK, I read the article, an it appears that, according to unnamed sources, the only rock stars that could afford to front a bid are Paul McCartney, Bono, Elton John, Jimmy Buffet, Mick Jaeger, and Keith Richards. Even Eric Clapton, who some think is God, does not have enough money to front a bid to buy the Bills and move them to Toronto. I think the real threat here is that Mick Jaeger and Kieth Richards will partner up. HOW DARE THEY! I'm going to burn my Rolling Stones albums in anticipation.

Edited by Franz Kafka

What if the newly constituted Toronto group (assuming this is true) comes up with a bid that is significantly higher than Pegula? What does the Trust do then? I assume they would ask Pegula to match, but I am sure he has an upward limit as well.

I think the ultimate answer to what the Trust does is that they do whatever the NFL an entity wants it to do. Ralph certainly objected to a lot of what the NFL wanted to do (as seen by him and GB being the only owners to vote against the renewal of the CBA) but the simple fact is that Ralph had contractually agreed to give up his individual ability to compete in the NFL as a traditional free market because the individual owners actually male tons more money from the TV nets working in a collaborative framework.

Particularly once Ralph agreed that his and no other team would be sold unless 75% of all the owners approved of the new owner, the NFL effectively has a veto over whomever the Trust decides to sell to.

Under this configuration it is a pretty good bet that the other owners will agree to approve the Trust sells deal which maximizes the other owners profits.

It seems clear to me and I have heard no argument to contravert the idea that given a choice between a Buffalo franchise and a franchise in the larger market of Toronto (or LA for that matter) the NFL team owners clearly maximize their profits by having BOTH an existing Buffalo franchise and a Toronto franchise as soon as expansion allows.

The Bills ain't going nowhere and will stay in Buffalo as moving the franchise would mean the NFL owners simply throwing away their share of 45.000+ season ticket holders cash, 20,000+ individual ticket buyers cash the Bills routinely bring in, 100s of millions from WNY advertisers, and 100+ million in corporate welfare from NYS govt.

True this money will be replaced and even marginally exceeded by a Toronto franchise, but the NFL tends not to throw money away and there is no reason to throw the Buffalo money away when expanding the NFL (which all say is their plan to get more eyeballs and make more $)maximizes the amount of % the individual owners make.

That was a terrible report. He didn't even see to understand the issues. "Now all they have to do is convince the Trust they will keep the team in Buffalo." That gave me a good chuckle.

Cannot disagree at all.

I'm thinking sarcasm? Especially considering it's Jonah Javad. He seems to me to be a great and upcoming sportscaster. I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood his position on the issue. I believe he is all for El Pegual.

He better be.

Its not simply a highest bidder sale. The Toronto group was never alive because of the relocation fear. Had Toronto group made it clear they would not move the team then they would have been an option. But why would the Toronto group buy a team they cant move. They will try with another team in the future.

He's really been on top of this more than anyone, regardless of whose numbers you choose to believe. I wouldn't bet on it, but I tend to believe his.

If anyone is listening to Jonah Javad this thread is going to be back to doom and gloom and we're moving and blah blah blah. Watching him on the news pisses me off because he's making it sound like it's nothing but an auction and the money rules all and the team can end up in Toronto