Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of this.

Me neither. JBJ capped them out. On the other hand, there is no pretense as to what these Toronto guys want to do.

As bad as the Bills look, the only thing that matters to me right now is that the Pegulas (or someone like them) are the successful bidders. I am tired of having to worry about whether the Bills will stay in Buffalo.

This is really bad news. I know that we have been receiving all kinds of assurances from other posters on the board, but the new Toronto group has substantial resources and are no longer constrained by the inclusion of JBJ.

So, the Toronto group wins the bid, and then sells JBJ a slice afterwards. :doh: If they do put forth the highest bid we can only hope the trust goes with either TP, TG.

I know the NFL would rather see a single owner over a group.

From that link , “Rogers is very serious” about buying the team, another source close to the process said.

Edited by FeartheLosing

The problem with the Toronto group is that they are a Toronto group which will ultimately prevent them from owning the team. With that being said they were a Toronto group with a budget when they had JBJ. There was a ceiling in place because of his financial limitations. Now, they can drive the price up.

Wonder if the potential new "controlling owner" of the Toronto group will be Larry Tanenbaum or Ed Rogers? If Ed Rogers has the ability to put up whatever funds the Rogers Family Trust has available the group would have a higher potential max bid, but even if Tanenbaum becomes the lead guy the Toronto group could probably go higher than the Bon Jovi-led triad.

Tanenbaum is likely to own put options that would allow him to sell his 25% stake in MLSE to the other two 37.5% owners if he wants. That's just a guess, but billionaires like control, so I would expect him to have negotiated such an "out" when Rogers Communications and Bell bought their combined 75% stake from the former majority owner of MLSE. I don't know if Tanenbaum would want to divest his interest in MLSE if required to make a bid that might allow him to become the controlling owner of the Bills, but my guess is that he has put options that would allow him to cash out his MLSE stake if he wants.

Use that cash as 30% of the total bid and the Toronto duo could bid pretty high even with Tanenbaum as the lead dog.

Just my 2 lira - - could be wrong.

The problem with the Toronto group is that they are a Toronto group which will ultimately prevent them from owning the team. With that being said they were a Toronto group with a budget when they had JBJ. There was a ceiling in place because of his financial limitations. Now, they can drive the price up.

Agree 100%. JBJ was the cover and potential reason to believe this wasn't just an attempt to grab a team for Toronto. Ultimately, as we know, the cover was quickly blown off. Love that JBJ is no longer an issue, but it leaves the TO boys to up the ante. But now there is no more plausible deniability about the motives. In the end probably won't matter---except possibly in the price.

So, the Toronto group wins the bid, and then sells JBJ a slice afterwards. :doh: If they do put forth the highest bid we can only hope the trust goes with either TP, TG.

I know the NFL would rather see a single owner over a group.

From that link , “Rogers is very serious” about buying the team, another source close to the process said.

Doesn't Rogers literally have to play "Mother May I?" with the family money though?