Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

Florio is going to be so depressed if Pegula wins the bid. He wants this team to move so badly he can taste it.

I don't get that. He's mostly a regurgitator of press releases and rumors. The more drama there is in this the better for Florio I guess. But if the Bills moved he would likely post his diatribes against the NFL for allowing it.

Florio is at his best when it comes to the legal stuff, IMO. But when he does stick his toe into actual football analysis, he seems like he is in over his head. Fake controversy is his strong suit in that regard.

My bad I didn't read the last page of the thread.

No worries.

Edited by The Dean

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts:

*The NFL wants one owner who is accountable versus and consortium

*Rogers access to cash is very complex

*Even if they have the cash, it still needs to be acceptable to the Wilson Trust and approved by the NFL owners

*If approved by the Wilson Trust and the NFL, there will be a strong fight within Canada to not approve any relo due to the impact to the CFL and any money towards a stadium

*This bid appears to be very risk for the trust and the NFL

*So far the trust and the NFL have been huge proponents of keeping the team in Buffalo

*TPegs is a much safer choice

*Nothing eliminates rational more than money, any bid from Toronto has to create the WOW factor to be considered

*As a Bills fan we know its not over until it’s over, but I see this as a smart ploy by MS to increase the cost of the franchise to any local bidder

You also need to factor in court fees. 400 million penalty. Relocation fee. New stadium startup with little leverage up there. On top of out - bidding pegula. We are talking like upwards of a $3 billion price tag before they have 1 fan.

Cheaper to wait it out for expansion and they can publicly fight for stadium moneys instead of buy the team. Pay to move it. Then hope.

Well said. Here is the breakdown:

Cost of team: Let's say for argument sake, $1.3 billion

NYS Penalty: $400 million if they try and move, or dead man walking losing 55,000 of their 60,000 seats guaranteed sale for the next 6 years. Owners seriously consider giving away dedicated season and game day ticket sales, and it would be a ghost town if they own the team.

Cost of a Move in fee to NFL: $200 million

Cost of building their own stadium as the Rogers Center will not work: $800 million to $1 billion

So the poster is correct in a overall cost of $2.9-3.1 billion. This does not count towards soft costs in legal fees, the move, etc.

Why bother when Pegula will buy for a similar price, and Toronto sits on the waiting list for expansion. I can see that happening much easier in the next 6 years. Consider we could easily expand in LA x 2, Toronto, and even Mexico City (lots of projections they could handle a city). This is not including Europe.

all of these points just keeps pointing back to the trust giving the team to Pegula, the NFL owners are happy, and NYS ponys up for half of a new stadium.

Well said. Here is the breakdown:

Cost of team: Let's say for argument sake, $1.3 billion

NYS Penalty: $400 million if they try and move, or dead man walking losing 55,000 of their 60,000 seats guaranteed sale for the next 6 years. Owners seriously consider giving away dedicated season and game day ticket sales, and it would be a ghost town if they own the team.

Cost of a Move in fee to NFL: $200 million

Cost of building their own stadium as the Rogers Center will not work: $800 million to $1 billion

So the poster is correct in a overall cost of $2.9-3.1 billion. This does not count towards soft costs in legal fees, the move, etc.

Why bother when Pegula will buy for a similar price, and Toronto sits on the waiting list for expansion. I can see that happening much easier in the next 6 years. Consider we could easily expand in LA x 2, Toronto, and even Mexico City (lots of projections they could handle a city). This is not including Europe.

all of these points just keeps pointing back to the trust giving the team to Pegula, the NFL owners are happy, and NYS ponys up for half of a new stadium.

Mexico City will never happen, between the drugs, mobs, immigration bs and corruption the shield won't venture there. I also don't see NYS putting up $500 million for a new stadium. They should after the gifts they gave the NYC teams but not enough upstate votes. Maybe we can buy a gently used stadium from the Redskins as that moron Snyder wants a new stadium already!

Nothing's changed. Pegulas are still the front-runners, likely candidates to win.

jw

Can you explain why the Toronto group losing Jon Bon Jovi can now bid much higher does not potentially change anything?

Either the Toronto group is totally out - or they can now bid much much higher than when JBJ was their front man.

Can you explain why the Toronto group losing Jon Bon Jovi can now bid much higher does not potentially change anything?

Either the Toronto group is totally out - or they can now bid much much higher than when JBJ was their front man.

Because bidding much higher is not their problem, wanting to move the team is. And that, if anything, looks worse now.

Because bidding much higher is not their problem, wanting to move the team is. And that, if anything, looks worse now.

Agreed - as long as they dont offer $3billion I dont think we want to test the degree that the Wilson Trust is committed to keeping in Buffalo - Pegulas strongest card has been high bidder in cash

Edited by jahbonas

1) The team won't be sold to anyone that wants to now them, regardless of the number.

2) They will NOT bid $3B, or even $2B.

Until you or anyone can point to language in the trust agreement that indicates that - it is just words (not to be sold to anyone moving team),

I bank my hopes on the fact Pegula is high bidder with cash - not on the goodwill of the Wilsons that all this time has only been speculated

Until you or anyone can point to language in the trust agreement that indicates that - it is just words (not to be sold to anyone moving team),

I bank my hopes on the fact Pegula is high bidder with cash - not on the goodwill of the Wilsons that all this time has only been speculated

Obviously nobody can show you the terms of the Trust, so if you want to live in fear of relocation that's your choice of course.

It's not happening.

You don't have to take my word for it, as there's others here that have proven reliable and have said the same.

Edited by thebandit27

First I think they stay.

It costs the Toronto guys millions to stay in this. Even if they don't get the team. They obviously feels this increases their chances. The most obvious reason is they can bid more. They must feel they have a chance or wouldn't spend the money.

There should be room for little worry?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

I think Jonah Javad is simply using time-tested clickbait tactics to drive traffic. "You won't believe how the Toronto group torpedoed the Bills long term future using this one weird trick."

Haha - does he have a picture of a super hot chick that has nothing to do with anything there as well?

Nobody has even indicated what the wording (in general) states that prevents relocation, Its been a long time for that type of info not to have been leaked. Only way its not been leaked is it does not exist at all -its a myth,

Bids and other items have been 'leaked' - why wouldnt the general wording/directive in the trust be leaked in some way?

Only items keeping team here is the Lease known publicly cannot be broken for 6 years and that a local Buffalo bidder happens to be the highest bidder given that 6 year condition left on the lease.

This is all blather... It is Pegula's bid to win unless the 'Trust' and NFL decide to keep yanking his 'you know whatnot' and he simply flips the bird at them and says the f bomb you... Pegula has Greenburg running this bid, Pegula money to influence to make sure the Bills stay long term is being spread now influentially to power brokers... Toronto has no chance, Who wins in the end?... Buffalo keeps their team...Politicos can brag about saving the team and the shale fracking industry opens up shop in NYS. Profits dwarfing the cost of the team versus his now viable and profitable land holdings in NYS... It;s a game being played out... But in the end, Buffalo keeps the team and Pegula is a savior... Which I applaud... Said my peace...

Does he actually own land on the Marcellus Shale in NYS already?

Nobody has even indicated what the wording (in general) states that prevents relocation, Its been a long time for that type of info not to have been leaked. Only way its not been leaked is it does not exist at all -its a myth,

Bids and other items have been 'leaked' - why wouldnt the general wording/directive in the trust be leaked in some way?

Only items keeping team here is the Lease known publicly cannot be broken for 6 years and that a local Buffalo bidder happens to be the highest bidder given that 6 year condition left on the lease.

And common sense.

And knowing how the NFL works.