Round 3: Sale of the team

Beerball

I won't breathe a sigh of relief until the new owner is announced and it is either Pegula (by far 1st choice) or Golisano (a distant second but still fine)

It is worth noting that Tim Graham reported that Ralph Wilson left no specific instructions in the trust that the team remain in WNY. He reported that on the Buffalo Rumblings podcast that was linked here a few weeks ago. Obviously he could be wrong, but that gave me pause, because it matched up with what Polancarz said as well (that the team theoretically could be sold to someone who wanted to move it).

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would common sense tell us?

Why do people think Toronto would spend that much on the Bills? Why the Bills and not a different team for much less money? Why would the NFL choose the Bills to relocate when there is a willing buyer?

Look at past sales. Why wasnt Rogers trying to get another team in the past? What makes the Bills for twice the money their choice? Why didnt they have a stadium built for an NFL team?

Edited by TheTruthHurts

It is worth noting that Tim Graham reported that Ralph Wilson left no specific instructions in the trust that the team remain in WNY. He reported that on the Buffalo Rumblings podcast that was linked here a few weeks ago. Obviously he could be wrong, but that gave me pause, because it matched up with what Polancarz said as well (that the team theoretically could be sold to someone who wanted to move it).

Whether they're written instructions or not is immaterial. With the two Mary's as executors, Ralph's wishes will be granted. If they don't vote to approve the new owner there's no sale.

That said, I haven't heard Tim's exact statement, but if he's claiming to know terms of the Trust, he shouldn't be taken at his word on that.

Bottom line here is that most folks know the team isn't going to be sold to anyone that has any intention of moving them.

Thats not to say that I don't understand the hesitancy to feel relief.

Whether they're written instructions or not is immaterial. With the two Mary's as executors, Ralph's wishes will be granted. If they don't vote to approve the new owner there's no sale.

That said, I haven't heard Tim's exact statement, but if he's claiming to know terms of the Trust, he shouldn't be taken at his word on that.

Bottom line here is that most folks know the team isn't going to be sold to anyone that has any intention of moving them.

Thats not to say that I don't understand the hesitancy to feel relief.

I believe Tim said, or meant, the Will had no conditions. I don't believe TG has any idea about the terms of The Trust let alone the what Ralph may have said to his wife and friends. Perhaps I'm wrong and the Trust documents were leaked (doubtful). But if that is true, no written restrictions might protect the family in the case no legitimate local suitor steps up. Well, we know that isn't the case.

You also need to factor in court fees. 400 million penalty. Relocation fee. New stadium startup with little leverage up there. On top of out - bidding pegula. We are talking like upwards of a $3 billion price tag before they have 1 fan.

Cheaper to wait it out for expansion and they can publicly fight for stadium moneys instead of buy the team. Pay to move it. Then hope.

You also need to factor in court fees. 400 million penalty. Relocation fee. New stadium startup with little leverage up there. On top of out - bidding pegula. We are talking like upwards of a $3 billion price tag before they have 1 fan.

Cheaper to wait it out for expansion and they can publicly fight for stadium moneys instead of buy the team. Pay to move it. Then hope.

Not that they have a chance, but...

They have no stadium in which to play. They likely wouldn't be incurring the $400 million (and very unlikely to win the right to move them in court). They would play in Buffalo for a time, under the rouse they intend to keep the team here. Then move them some time down the road, during the buy out, or end of the lease.

But don't worry, that's not going to happen.

Edited by The Dean

This is all blather... It is Pegula's bid to win unless the 'Trust' and NFL decide to keep yanking his 'you know whatnot' and he simply flips the bird at them and says the f bomb you... Pegula has Greenburg running this bid, Pegula money to influence to make sure the Bills stay long term is being spread now influentially to power brokers... Toronto has no chance, Who wins in the end?... Buffalo keeps their team...Politicos can brag about saving the team and the shale fracking industry opens up shop in NYS. Profits dwarfing the cost of the team versus his now viable and profitable land holdings in NYS... It;s a game being played out... But in the end, Buffalo keeps the team and Pegula is a savior... Which I applaud... Said my peace...

I agree that it would make more sense at this point for the Toronto vultures to go circle around the Rams or even the Chargers.

Not even that though, many teams have sold in the last 10-12 years and Toronto was not even mentioned.

There is obviously a huge hurdle that has nothing to do with the NFL, but more likely politics in Canada. Had Toronto been trying to get a team and failing, this would make more sense. But right now Toronto buying the Bills makes no sense at all. That doesnt even include Pegula, who makes Toronto buying the team impossible. Its not how the NFL works. They dont want relocation, and since Pegula and even Golisano are willing to spend and also have a stadium plan, Toronto is not getting the team. At least for now. We will see how state and local gov handles a new stadium for Buffalo.

Not that they have a chance, but...

They have no stadium in which to play. They likely wouldn't be incurring the $400 million (and very unlikely to win the right to move them in court). They would play in Buffalo for a time, under the rouse they intend to keep the team here. Then move them some time down the road, during the buy out, or end of the lease.

But don't worry, that's not going to happen.

Seeing as how they would have to win the court case just for be in a position to pay the $400m to the county, I agree.

As has been stated many times here, the specter of playing before skeleton crowds as a lame duck NFL team in Buffalo is anathema to the goals of the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

Seeing as how they would have to win the court case just for be in a position to pay the $400m to the county, I agree.

As has been stated many times here, the specter of playing before skeleton crowds as a lame duck NFL team in Buffalo is anathema to the goals of the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

]

I believe just bringing the case to court might trigger the $400 penalty. But I could be wrong.

This is all blather... It is Pegula's bid to win unless the 'Trust' and NFL decide to keep yanking his 'you know whatnot' and he simply flips the bird at them and says the f bomb you... Pegula has Greenburg running this bid, Pegula money to influence to make sure the Bills stay long term is being spread now influentially to power brokers... Toronto has no chance, Who wins in the end?... Buffalo keeps their team...Politicos can brag about saving the team and the shale fracking industry opens up shop in NYS. Profits dwarfing the cost of the team versus his now viable and profitable land holdings in NYS... It;s a game being played out... But in the end, Buffalo keeps the team and Pegula is a savior... Which I applaud... Said my peace...

The only part about this that's slightly off is the idea that anyone is yanking Pegula's crank.

The process is playing out and there's nothing more to it than that--Pegula knows this, and it certainly isn't going to stop his pursuit.

]

I believe just bringing the case to court might trigger the $400 penalty. But I could be wrong.

Different penalty. The $400M is a Liquidated Damages provision that kicks in in the event the Team wins the court case.

The stipulation about the Team being forbidden to discuss relocation while under lease would place then in violation of the lease terms and allow the County to sue for damages unspecified as I understand it (although I'm sure one of my homie Sleep's Darryl brothers can probably explain better than I can).

The only part about this that's slightly off is the idea that anyone is yanking Pegula's crank.

The process is playing out and there's nothing more to it than that--Pegula knows this, and it certainly isn't going to stop his pursuit.

Different penalty. The $400M is a Liquidated Damages provision that kicks in in the event the Team wins the court case.

The stipulation about the Team being forbidden to discuss relocation while under lease would place then in violation of the lease terms and allow the County to sue for damages unspecified as I understand it (although I'm sure one of my homie Sleep's Darryl brothers can probably explain better than I can).

Gotcha. Good to know.

Report: Bon Jovi out of Toronto group

Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Good news, Bills fans. Jon Bon Jovi won’t be buying the team.

Bad news, Bills fans. The Toronto-based group is still planning to try to purchase the franchise.

According to the New York Post, Larry Tanenbaum and Edward Rogers have dumped Bon Jovi because Bon Jovi’s desire to control the team has limited the total bid that the trio can make.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/30/report-bon-jovi-out-of-toronto-group/

He is just citing the Post article from yesterday.

My bad I didn't read the last page of the thread.

Florio is going to be so depressed if Pegula wins the bid. He wants this team to move so badly he can taste it.

Yes, the guy is just a plain hater.