If we could go back to the draft

jletha

I know this is just preseason and I'm doing my best to not panic entirely but the game last night was terrible. EJ was brutal as was the O-line. That led me to think that if we could go back to the draft knowing what we know now would we stay where we were and take an offensive lineman instead of trading up for Sammy.

Yes we wouldn't have Sammy on this team but we would have better O-line talent, we'd still have Woods, Williams and likely Stevie along with our next years first rounder back.

If you could swap, right now, Sammy for a drafted offensive lineman, Stevie Johnson and our next years fest rounder would you?

The problem with the Oline IMO is that they continue to mix and match lineups which is ridiculous at this point considering they just played their 4th preseason game.

Going into last night with only two starters at their natural positions is beyond ridiculous.

Come on! Never take an O-lineman in the top 10. Never! Complete waste--zero impact.

Sammy was the best play in this past draft. I have no problem with the Bills trading away next year's first for him. He's far better than any first rounder they have drafted in YEARS and likely better than whoever they would pick next year.

I am a bit concerned about his injury though. He's going to take a lot harder hits to the ribs in his career than that one that put him out.

OK, if we're going to revisit the draft, then let's do so for a period of time that's meaningful. So using revisionist history:

2010 - We don't bother with CJ Spiller. Instead, the pick is Jason Pierre-Paul. This way, there's no need to pay Mario Williams buckets of money to be the pass rusher.

2011 - Pass on Marcel Dareus and instead take J.J. Watt. Effective bookends for Kyle Williams.

2012 - OK, would still go with Gilmore this year.

2013 - Pass on EJ and instead would have taken Kyle Long. Offensive line has been lacking for too long.

2014 - I didn't like the Watkins pick at all. Ryan Shazier should have been the pick.

At the end of the day, QB isn't the problem. Unimaginative play calling from Hackett is the problem.

OK, if we're going to revisit the draft, then let's do so for a period of time that's meaningful. So using revisionist history:

2010 - We don't bother with CJ Spiller. Instead, the pick is Jason Pierre-Paul. This way, there's no need to pay Mario Williams buckets of money to be the pass rusher.

2011 - Pass on Marcel Dareus and instead take J.J. Watt. Effective bookends for Kyle Williams.

2012 - OK, would still go with Gilmore this year.

2013 - Pass on EJ and instead would have taken Kyle Long. Offensive line has been lacking for too long.

2014 - I didn't like the Watkins pick at all. Ryan Shazier should have been the pick.

At the end of the day, QB isn't the problem. Unimaginative play calling from Hackett is the problem.

Who's the QB?

If we're going back to the draft, how about they take somebody else besides Kouandjio with the #2. Or better yet, trade the #2 to Cleveland instead of next year's #1.

This

In todays NFL a good offensive line can't make up for a bad QB.

....and this

The best fix for the offensive line would be a credible threat at qb, or at least someone with the ability to read a defense well. What this team needs is a mediocre qb and the rest of the offense would look much better, including the line.

....and this

Come on! Never take an O-lineman in the top 10. Never! Complete waste--zero impact.

Sammy was the best play in this past draft. I have no problem with the Bills trading away next year's first for him. He's far better than any first rounder they have drafted in YEARS and likely better than whoever they would pick next year.

....and this

I refuse to look backwards at this point. Boys, it is what it is and we have to look forward. How do we fix the mess we are in? Let's see what Whaley's got. I've given up on Hackett and Marrone is starting to lose me. Fix the friggin O Line, prop up EJ and find a competent back up QB. C'mon DW.

I refuse to look backwards at this point. Boys, it is what it is and we have to look forward. How do we fix the mess we are in? Let's see what Whaley's got. I've given up on Hackett and Marrone is starting to lose me. Fix the friggin O Line, prop up EJ and find a competent back up QB. C'mon DW.

I with you Hackett's play calling is out of this world bad. O-line needs to get much better, and I think they will. EJ is needs to improve, but is too young and not polished enough. He needs a veteran QB as his #2 to help speed up the maturation process. In other words he needs help not hindrance.

So is the coaching staffs fault that Glenn wasn't ready at the beginning of camp. And it turns out that the rookie who filled in for him did so well, it quickly became apparent it didn't make sense to sit him when other spots were also struggling. The only thing you could blame the coaches for at all was their 2nd round pick not looking very well, but he's certainly not the only 2nd rounder to ever fail. While all the changes are hurting them right now, give them two weeks ot have the same players out there in practice and lets see how they look in the regular season. Even then, while you hope they look supper on Sept 7th, it still may take a couple more weeks for them to really gel.

The problem with the Oline IMO is that they continue to mix and match lineups which is ridiculous at this point considering they just played their 4th preseason game.

Going into last night with only two starters at their natural positions is beyond ridiculous.

I know this is just preseason and I'm doing my best to not panic entirely but the game last night was terrible. EJ was brutal as was the O-line. That led me to think that if we could go back to the draft knowing what we know now would we stay where we were and take an offensive lineman instead of trading up for Sammy.

Yes we wouldn't have Sammy on this team but we would have better O-line talent, we'd still have Woods, Williams and likely Stevie along with our next years first rounder back.

If you could swap, right now, Sammy for a drafted offensive lineman, Stevie Johnson and our next years fest rounder would you?

I would go back and draft WR Cordarrelle Patterson and trade up for Bortles