We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw big holes in that DL, man. I didn't see anyone pushed around, I saw big running lanes and I know that is because of the Schwartz D but we do not have the LB's to support big lanes.

We had a successful run d today, I was satisfied with it. But, I do not like what I am seeing overall.

I have concerns too . but preseason goofiness with play calling, or lack of has to factor in today

see above partially.

The LB unit is supposed to be involved in the passing game and at least not exposed on passing plays. Last year we weren't. We had a great LB unit against the pass. Against the run, not so much. This preseason against the run we're pretty good but the pass just looks awful. Bradham is getting better every snap, I see, but it's not going to be enough, not when running lanes are a mile wide and not when we are a DL with Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus in the middle. Dareus is one hell of a DT, and Kyle Williams ain't no slouch. But, both of them just do not do well against the run and holding the middle up - especially goal line.

Goal line run is awful. And if you can't stop the run in the redzone you're going to lose every game.

ok but I'm more worried about QB and O-line right now. I think D will be fine.

Well, the prevent D and second-stringers were also differences.

Prevent D? In the 3Q?? :lol: No, what happened is they started calling some different plays and TB couldn't play 10 close to the line. They opened up the field, EJ had more time, and he made throws.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

EJ had time to pat the ball and check down. No excuses. I watched Bortals stand tall in the pocket and make plays last night. Bortals struggled with accuracy issues, his pocket presence was incredible.

We have no choice but to wait EJ out, but I think we missed the boat with QB.

Notice that the Bucs were targeting WR's covered by LBs. I think they scored two TDs that way.

Well couple that with the limited playbook. EJ was pressured or had to throw around rushers. Meanwhile when McCown had all freakin' day he made plays.

Lovie went after Spikes for sure . Thats a concern ^ i assume Jim is filing that effort away for review .

Josh was nearly unfettered. i dont like that very well . some pressure but not really

Prevent D? On the 3Q?? :lol: No, what happened is they started calling some different plays and TB couldn't play 10 close to the line. They opened up the field, EJ had more time, and he made throws.

Someone make another note

Prevent D? On the 3Q?? :lol: No, what happened is they started calling some different plays and TB couldn't play 10 close to the line. They opened up the field, EJ had more time, and he made throws.

someone make note. Hackett was adjusting playcalling ! Edited by 3rdand12

Just letting you know that I reported your post because it is uncalled for; no reason to respond to it at all if that's all the more you had to say. Offer something more to the thread then just name calling because offering your opinion about a poster is not the same thing as offering your opinion on football.

I suggest you should think twice and delete your post yourself.

+1000

Our offensive woes today started with failures on the O-line, in both pass and run blocking. We are so focused on what EJ is doing we completely miss the eff-ups up front.

Come on, QB is a HUGE problem

The offensive line wasn't great today either which to me is partly on the coaching staff as they continue to switch players around without deciding on a starting 5 and letting them work together. The only starters in their true positions were Wood and Glenn who was seeing his first game action. That's just asking for trouble

Edited by Max997

Somebody won't be at One Bills Drive tomorrow

Wouldn't be unprecedented and let's face it, that's how this organization rolls sometimes. Sacrifice a coach (Hackett) to the wolves to save upper management. This helps avoid having to answer uncomfortable questions when there's a pre-season cluster of a performance.

Whatever happened to Turk Schonert? Is he available? :lol:

As witnessed by the ease of which the Bills moved the ball against the Bucs second stringers. EJ had more time to throw, was more comfortable, threw the ball much better.

The first half was text book offensive line struggle. Run for little gain (OL can't penetrate), run for little gain, third and long- obvious passing down- defense blitzes or rushes 4- slant or seam route. QBs cannot thrive under those conditions. Vanilla offense cannot adjust to those conditions. EJ may not be the best QB to deal with those conditions but he and the offense would be one heckuva lot better if third down was not always an obvious passing down and he had more time to throw when it was time to pass.

Basic football.

You are making my point. Most of his bad throws happen when his protection breaks down.

I got the feeling he isn't even waiting for plays to develop/break down, according to some posters who watched the game.

What I do think is this QB and offense are not good enough to make this the playoff team that so many here are deluding themselves into believing.

Wouldn't be unprecedented and let's face it, that's how this organization rolls sometimes. Sacrifice a coach (Hackett) to the wolves to save upper management. This helps avoid having to answer uncomfortable questions when there's a pre-season cluster of a performance.

Whatever happened to Turk Schonert? Is he available? :lol:

That may be, but in this case, it would be deserved. This offense can only be described as listless. You take a raw QB from a half-field college offense and a talented outside RB and what do you do? Neutralize both of their strengths, put both of them in positions to fail. Make CJ run between the tackles. Make EJ throw from the pocket in obvious passing situations with few rollouts and few high-percentage throws. Run shotgun on third and shot. Refuse to bring in competent guards despite two offseasons and two drafts. Run a hurry up and fail offense. Feature a tight end without an actual tight end on the roster. Fail to hire a QB coach until Year 2 of EJ's development. Etc. etc.

Hacket deserves to be fired, and if I'm Whaley, I'm sweating that this moronic play caller is going to ruin his young QB and get the entire management team fired. Whaley very well might have told Marrone and Hackett that if that ever happens again, someone is getting demoted - Hacket can run quality control and film review, and Marrone can call the plays. And second prize is You're Fired.

It's funny you mention Schoenert because Whaley has been around the league long enough to know a popgun offense when he sees one. What a disaster.

Edited by Coach Tuesday