Pegula is a Buffalo guy, right? And Russ Brandon is a Buffalo guy, r

Tipster19

I apologize if it came across as a shot because it wasn't meant to be. All that I was saying as that you see the whole picture and have a different perspective than most of us. Some people hate this or that with a limited understanding, you understand but see it differently.

No worries, I agree, I think you captured our differences accurately. I think the Toronto series is a good example of that point.

Like I said in the other thread, I like several things Brandon did, not the least of which is making sure Whaley became GM. I think he is one of the best talent evaluators this franchise has seen in the past 15 years.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this written here a number of times, maybe it's always by you or by others too, but can you explain how a guy who graduated from St John Fisher and worked many years for the Rochester Read Wings is a Syracuse guy? I don't see any connection??

Brandon is from East Syracuse and I think he still owns a house there.

I'm not sure if he owns a house there, but his parents still live in East Syracuse. And I've always had employees of the Bills introduce me as being from Syracuse when meeting him.

In retrospect, probably. But that was a case of Ralph being cheap. The Bills were nowhere near the cap. The GM wanted to keep the player. They just decided to cut salary for no good reason to keep it down, so they cut a player they wanted to keep simply for money reasons and not football reasons.

You've got to wonder how these moves negatively affected their reputation with the league's players, agents, and executives. The Bills often get ripped seemingly without reason in the media and fans retaliate by calling out those media types doing the criticizing. I've always believed within league circles it was well-known what Buffalo's M.O.'s was, but no one wanted to spell out how bad it was.

Either Russ was in agreement to these moves to cut veteran players or was powerless to stop it. That in and of itself reveals everything anyone needs to know that the power structure and organizational priorities were seriously out of whack.

I'm not sure if he owns a house there, but his parents still live in East Syracuse. And I've always had employees of the Bills introduce me as being from Syracuse when meeting him.

Bill from NYC convinced me he still owns a house there, because he used to be somewhat of a neighbor to Marrone when he coached there. And that was the reason he was hired, as well as both being on a board together of some kind.

I thought that was nonsense. ;)

People keep saying Brandon has done a great job, but at what? I seen a lot of hand waving, but few concrete details. In terms of marketing, isn't he basically just preaching to the choir here? And don't forget his baby was the Toronto games, and we all know how that went. I do respect him for pulling out of it, but I think that probably had more to do with foresight into Ralph's state of health.

Anyways, let's not forget Brandon's the biggest crone of them all (right up there with Littman). He had his chance to put his fingerprint on the franchise, but he chose the status quo instead. If the Bills don't have a winning season, they're likely all gone.

Brandon did exactly what the owner Ralph Wilson directed him to do, and he did it superbly!

Lets not forget that the edict was set down by the owner to keep the team as profitable as possible while still trying to win games. Why keep the team as profitable as possible you ask? To make the team more enticing for any new owner, or owners. The Toronto deal by Brandon was brilliant, which made more money for the team and sought to bring in more fans to the franchise.

Speaking of Brilliant, Brandon must be darn close to that to keep the team so profitable in such a small market area, and in such a down turned economy. Which has been almost the entire time Brandon has been with the team.

Now that Mr Wilson has passed, and new ownership is about to take control, I'd say that edict to make as much money as possible has changed somewhat to emphasize winning more games. I think Brandon was stuck with his less expensive choices at coaches, certain players, and decided that things should indeed change.

A better coaching staff, with an actual NFL experienced new QB coach, a new senior offensive assistant coach, special team assistant coaches to help with special teams, a new D line coach to help with the run game. Then the biggest addition was to hire an ex NFL head coach to run the defense, and a past proven commodity at producing a top unit. I would think that 2013 staff reflected the late owners frugal ideas of minimizing expenses. Whereas this new 2014 staff has been bolstered in almost every aspect while retaining the status quo to ensure some continuity.

Then change was also needed on the offensive side of the ball, and again with an emphasis on winning. My take is Brandon let it be known to the GM that the team needs to win, and win now. Then do what it takes to ensure that outcome as best as possible. Whaley then targeted the best offensive player in the 2014 draft he thought would help the team win, and went after him. Then bolstered the O line with an OG free agent, and drafted three more players for that line. Traded away a WR, and brought in what is thought to be an upgrade, traded for extra RB help. Thus giving the QB the best chance to win more games. Better coaching, better protection, better receivers.

Now, what remains to be seen is once the new owner /s take control and once the fear that the team will move away is no longer in the back of every Bills fans mind. That is should every Bills fan dream owner in Terry Pegula finally take control. Will the fans still support a loser? I know they didn't in the 70's, and again in the 80's in which Mr Wilson was distinctly concerned that he might need to move his team after all on several occasions.

That thought of "what is the plan" by Brandon should the team continue to lose may be all be for naught, as Russ just might have the wherewithal to recommend the hiring of a top head coach should the team fall on its face in 2014. After all, the team just hired an ex NFL head coach to run the defense.

Russ Brandon was brilliant at his job as a marketing / money man, no question about it at all IMHO. Pegula or any new owner would be foolish to make changes to the GM, CEO right away regardless if the team loses. Although, the team still does need upper management NFL leadership in terms of an experienced football man as president to run the football side of things. A true NFL football man who knows talent, an Ozzie Newsome, Ted Thompson type.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I have a friend who used to work for the bills, he is not a big Russ Brandon fan. Of all the stories, the one that bothered me most is when he was in a box with Russ, and Russ kept talking about how he thought Kerry Collins was fantastic. And That's who he would want to sign etc. just, ugh I hate Kerry Collins, and I hate Russ Brandon after hearing that story. 0 football knowledge and he was our gm for a time.... Ugh

I say can him, but that's just me.

I have a friend who used to work for the bills, he is not a big Russ Brandon fan. Of all the stories, the one that bothered me most is when he was in a box with Russ, and Russ kept talking about how he thought Kerry Collins was fantastic. And That's who he would want to sign etc. just, ugh I hate Kerry Collins, and I hate Russ Brandon after hearing that story. 0 football knowledge and he was our gm for a time.... Ugh

I say can him, but that's just me.

Ask Bill Polian what he thinks of Kerry Collins. I think that you might be a bit surprised at his response. Just saying.....

He is a 2 time Pro Bowler that threw for 41,000 yards. He is way better that anybody that we have had since Bledsoe (and to your point that is debatable).

I think I would take Bledsoe over him but it would be close. Some forget that Bledsoe had an amazing year here and broke many franchise passing records. I'm not sure what happened to him after that... I know he was slow and lumbering but the guy didn't suddenly forget how to play football.

Maybe it was the long drive from out in the countryside to the stadium every day.

Edited by TheFunPolice

So is it inconceivable that if Terry Pegula does in fact buy the Bills that he keeps Brandon? Brandon has been so committed in keeping the franchise in this community. I like the way he looks out for the Bills' welfare and believe that his loyalty is unquestionable to the franchise and community. I also really like the job that he has been doing since the passing of Ralph Wilson. Here's a vote for retaining Brandon & Co after the new ownership takes over, whoever that may be.

I don't like how we are always way under the cap and then let some of our best players go.

Pegula will straiten that out though :thumbsup:

Brandon did exactly what the owner Ralph Wilson directed him to do, and he did it superbly!

Lets not forget that the edict was set down by the owner to keep the team as profitable as possible while still trying to win games. Why keep the team as profitable as possible you ask? To make the team more enticing for any new owner, or owners. The Toronto deal by Brandon was brilliant, which made more money for the team and sought to bring in more fans to the franchise.

Speaking of Brilliant, Brandon must be darn close to that to keep the team so profitable in such a small market area, and in such a down turned economy. Which has been almost the entire time Brandon has been with the team.

Now that Mr Wilson has passed, and new ownership is about to take control, I'd say that edict to make as much money as possible has changed somewhat to emphasize winning more games. I think Brandon was stuck with his less expensive choices at coaches, certain players, and decided that things should indeed change.

A better coaching staff, with an actual NFL experienced new QB coach, a new senior offensive assistant coach, special team assistant coaches to help with special teams, a new D line coach to help with the run game. Then the biggest addition was to hire an ex NFL head coach to run the defense, and a past proven commodity at producing a top unit. I would think that 2013 staff reflected the late owners frugal ideas of minimizing expenses. Whereas this new 2014 staff has been bolstered in almost every aspect while retaining the status quo to ensure some continuity.

Then change was also needed on the offensive side of the ball, and again with an emphasis on winning. My take is Brandon let it be known to the GM that the team needs to win, and win now. Then do what it takes to ensure that outcome as best as possible. Whaley then targeted the best offensive player in the 2014 draft he thought would help the team win, and went after him. Then bolstered the O line with an OG free agent, and drafted three more players for that line. Traded away a WR, and brought in what is thought to be an upgrade, traded for extra RB help. Thus giving the QB the best chance to win more games. Better coaching, better protection, better receivers.

Now, what remains to be seen is once the new owner /s take control and once the fear that the team will move away is no longer in the back of every Bills fans mind. That is should every Bills fan dream owner in Terry Pegula finally take control. Will the fans still support a loser? I know they didn't in the 70's, and again in the 80's in which Mr Wilson was distinctly concerned that he might need to move his team after all on several occasions.

That thought of "what is the plan" by Brandon should the team continue to lose may be all be for naught, as Russ just might have the wherewithal to recommend the hiring of a top head coach should the team fall on its face in 2014. After all, the team just hired an ex NFL head coach to run the defense.

Russ Brandon was brilliant at his job as a marketing / money man, no question about it at all IMHO. Pegula or any new owner would be foolish to make changes to the GM, CEO right away regardless if the team loses. Although, the team still does need upper management NFL leadership in terms of an experienced football man as president to run the football side of things. A true NFL football man who knows talent, an Ozzie Newsome, Ted Thompson type.

That's an awful lot of writing, with few concrete facts. He kept the team profitable? Do you understand the crisis that occurring right now to keep the team in Buffalo? This area bleeds red white and blue and is probably the single most highlight of the area. Keeping the Bills profitable was like keeping a liquor store profitable in a town of alcoholics.

As for the Toronto plan, sure it made them extra cash, but it also alienated fans in Buffalo. You couldn't read one positive post on here about it. But, you know what? We still didn't care at the end of the day and still filled the seats. And you want to credit that to Brandon? Unlike a great football man, great guy or not, he's replaceable.

People have spelled out precisely what Brandon has done to help the Bills, most recently forcing the NFL to accept the non-relocation clause in the latest lease, over the objection of Jerruh Jones and Bob Kraft.

No, people have not listed things he has done. Maybe I missed them. Quote them for me. As for the lease thing, got a link for this? Otherwise it's just here say. Any other details on what he has done that some other suit couldn't do?

Just because we don't want him part of the team doesn't mean we "hate" him. I don't even know the guy, but I know he was hand picked by a franchise that hasn't been to the playoffs in forever. If EJ doesn't pan out, which is a real possibility, would you still argue he should stay? Even if he supposedly has nothing to do with football decisions? The world isn't black and white, so I'm sure he has done some good things, but does this automatically give him a free pass? And don't forget, over the last 2 decades, the Bills FO has to be in the top 5 of dysfunctional FOs in the NFL and he has played a major role for it.

Edited by kas23

Thought he graduated from East Syracuse Minoa HS. He's a Syracuse native. I think that counts as being a Syracuse guy

I've seen this written here a number of times, maybe it's always by you or by others too, but can you explain how a guy who graduated from St John Fisher and worked many years for the Rochester Read Wings is a Syracuse guy? I don't see any connection??