Pegula is a Buffalo guy, right? And Russ Brandon is a Buffalo guy, r

Tipster19

I would be surprised if he were not retained. He is very good at what he does. With that being said does anybody find it odd that he is sitting in on the presentations at this point? I am not saying that because his opinion is not valued because it is highly valued by the Wilson family but because of the conflict of interest. I know that the league wants him to remain in charge and a lot of the bidding groups to do but picking your future boss is a little weird to me.

I've spoken up on his behalf in the past and no doubt will again. Even in this thread people complaining that he should just be marketing etc etc. His current role he is Mr. everything to this franchise and he is doing it well. He is the face of the franchise and I don't see it as odd that he's in the room for these presentations. There is likely no one more capable and qualified to speak and make a presentation of the franchise really. No?

Now it would be odd if at the end of a presentation he spins for a job lol but I believe whoever buys, retains him and retains him in his current role. El Pegual knows the team is headed in the right direction and Russ should be rewarded for that. He sucks as a GM but he's not the GM.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope the next team president comes up through the football ranks and isn't a financial/marketing guy.

I sincerely doubt this happens. You may have a football guy run football operations but not the whole show. These are business people that want business people controlling their money. Often times you may see a former player or something as the front guy but don't kid yourself into thinking that guy has the ultimate say regardless of title. The money people (whether it be owner or CEO in RB's case) ultimately have the say.

So is it inconceivable that if Terry Pegula does in fact buy the Bills that he keeps Brandon? Brandon has been so committed in keeping the franchise in this community. I like the way he looks out for the Bills' welfare and believe that his loyalty is unquestionable to the franchise and community. I also really like the job that he has been doing since the passing of Ralph Wilson. Here's a vote for retaining Brandon & Co after the new ownership takes over, whoever that may be.

I would imagine Pegula would retain him. Even if it means with a different title.

IMO Russ has earned his right to remain with the franchise and the more I see of his actions the more I respect and like him

CBF

So is it inconceivable that if Terry Pegula does in fact buy the Bills that he keeps Brandon? Brandon has been so committed in keeping the franchise in this community. I like the way he looks out for the Bills' welfare and believe that his loyalty is unquestionable to the franchise and community. I also really like the job that he has been doing since the passing of Ralph Wilson. Here's a vote for retaining Brandon & Co after the new ownership takes over, whoever that may be.

I don't see Pegula tipping the apple cart at this point in time.

He is going to evaluate Brandon and Co in his time, imo.

Especially when in the last two years as President and CEO the GM Brandon hired has been stocking the team with talent and the stadium renovations look like a better game day experience.

So if you judge Brandon since the Org change when he was empowered as President and CEO it is positive evaluation imo.

If you look at Russ Brandon's long history it looks pretty bad though. It is hard to say what is him and what was the owner\Owner's henchmen (Liitman)

I believe Brandon and Whaley will have atleast the 2014 and 2015 season to show and prove if Pegula is the owner and maybe longer if they have success.

That would be my expectation.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I would be surprised if he were not retained. He is very good at what he does. With that being said does anybody find it odd that he is sitting in on the presentations at this point? I am not saying that because his opinion is not valued because it is highly valued by the Wilson family but because of the conflict of interest. I know that the league wants him to remain in charge and a lot of the bidding groups to do but picking your future boss is a little weird to me.

I think it's odd he's sitting in, however, he probably is limited to speaking about the financial facts of the franchise and no more. As for retaining him, I'm pretty sure Pegula will split the organization into two components; football and non-football --- Brandon would be lead candidate for the non-football role, similar to Ted Black's role with Sabres; however, I've been told by two separate friends that Brandon ultimately wants to be in the NFL offices and this might be best opportunity for him to make the jump after a transition period.

I think it's odd he's sitting in, however, he probably is limited to speaking about the financial facts of the franchise and no more. As for retaining him, I'm pretty sure Pegula will split the organization into two components; football and non-football --- Brandon would be lead candidate for the non-football role, similar to Ted Black's role with Sabres; however, I've been told by two separate friends that Brandon ultimately wants to be in the NFL offices and this might be best opportunity for him to make the jump after a transition period.

NFL commissioner Russ Brandon ?

:sick:

There isn't anything to demonstrate keeping anyone at OBD for the simple reason they haven't accomplished anything. The caveat remains they've had all of 1 season, although if year 2 isn't a playoff year, it's inconceivable why anyone would invest north of 1B dollars and not clean house. Many of the same OBD lifers should be excised with a new owner coming.

The NFL has grown rapidly over the past 10-15 years, as evidenced by soaring team values and television contracts. The Bills, by virtue of existing within this have naturally benefitted. That's not to say everyone at OBD on the business side of the house has remained idle because they haven't. Sure, they've regionalized, but that's not a new concept. Businesses (which the Bills are first and foremost) always look to expand globally and/or into emerging markets. If you're not growing in this business environment you're dying. And the Bills have been doing that for several years.

I would hope the next team president comes up through the football ranks and isn't a financial/marketing guy.

Very nice read. Agreed.

That's definitely possible. He is thought of very highly around the league and would be an asset to them in their globilization efforts and TV negotiations. He won't come cheap and will have options with other teams as well (I'd imagine $2-$3M a year).

To your point though maybe this is already agreed to with the league which is why he is now sitting in on the presentations? I know that he has been intimately involved to this point but felt that it would be a conflict of interest to remain in through the sale.

I've seen this written here a number of times, maybe it's always by you or by others too, but can you explain how a guy who graduated from St John Fisher and worked many years for the Rochester Read Wings is a Syracuse guy? I don't see any connection??

Brandon is from East Syracuse and I think he still owns a house there.

Hahahahahahahaha, I just saw the errors of my ways! You guys are cracking me up, thanks for breaking the monotony! Could this be the start of a whole new thing (el Petulant Pegual)??! Lol! I promise that I did it all inadvertently, I'm at the hospital with my wife and as a true Bills' fan when there is something to post we don't let anything stop us, no matter how serious the matter is at hand! Lol! I was just in a rush and blurted this thought out while I had a few moments between doctors/tests, I didn't want to lose the train of thought like I have with so many others. Damn auto spell! Lol! I'll go back and fix the title now. Thanks again guys!

Go Bills!

I guess that I'll have to wait until I get home and do it from my laptop, I can't figure it out on my IPhone. Sorry!

I too have been impressed by Brandon since RW's death. That said, he's still a gigantic part of the culture that's fielded a sub .400 team and zero playoff appearances.

I'd be upset if Whaley doesn't get a fair shake with the new ownership, but would completely understand if Brandon's fazed out.

Stop the madness already! The "gigantic part of the culture" that Brandon is the creator of is taking the dysfunctional, aging, on the garbage heap franchise and rebuilding it from the bottom up. It was Brandon who Brought in Nix to rebuild the scouting department, who brought in Whaley, who brought in Marrone, who "regionalized" the team, who loosened the purse strings for acquisitions and better coaches, and on and on. If you feel the Bills are a better team all around today than 5 years ago, and if you feel that are on the verge of breaking out, you can thank Brandon whose vision it is you're seeing in action. If Pegula is as smart as his fans around here think he is, the first person he locks up is Russ Brandon.

There, I finally figured it out! Man, it's been a long night! Lol!

Stop the madness already! The "gigantic part of the culture" that Brandon is the creator of is taking the dysfunctional, aging, on the garbage heap franchise and rebuilding it from the bottom up. It was Brandon who Brought in Nix to rebuild the scouting department, who brought in Whaley, who brought in Marrone, who "regionalized" the team, who loosened the purse strings for acquisitions and better coaches, and on and on. If you feel the Bills are a better team all around today than 5 years ago, and if you feel that are on the verge of breaking out, you can thank Brandon whose vision it is you're seeing in action. If Pegula is as smart as his fans around here think he is, the first person he locks up is Russ Brandon.

A BIG Amen to that one Brother!

Let's see results and I'm on board.

Maybe, selling inventory is only a part of the CEO's job. Fielding a good product being another.

The kool aid intoxication is in full force for a few more weeks anyways. let's see how good this team is.

This year special interest should be placed on Special teams and well the OC.

He most Likely knows the numbers better than anyone at OBD

Yes, but it is a pretty darn big part of the job. Maybe he shouldn't be as in control as a chef, but if he can get you to eat a rotten piece of fish year in and year out...well, there is value in that!

...and great points by you, BPA.

:thumbsup:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

There's two things that haven't worked out well for him to change the results, coach hiring and QB's selected. For both of these things though not certain how much he was really involved with either. Did he approve of the choices, yes, but there were others making the actual call who he likely deferred to. And looking around the league in both these cases, it's more a crap shoot to get the right guy than being real good at the selections. Money isn't the answer either as look no further than Dallas or Washington.

Let's see results and I'm on board.

There's two things that haven't worked out well for him to change the results, coach hiring and QB's selected. For both of these things though not certain how much he was really involved with either. Did he approve of the choices, yes, but there were others making the actual call who he likely deferred to. And looking around the league in both these cases, it's more a crap shoot to get the right guy than being real good at the selections. Money isn't the answer either as look no further than Dallas or Washington.

I'd agree with you on the QB but venture to say that Marrone was ultimately his decision. Marrone directly reports to him I believe (as does Whaley).

There isn't anything to demonstrate keeping anyone at OBD for the simple reason they haven't accomplished anything. The caveat remains they've had all of 1 season, although if year 2 isn't a playoff year, it's inconceivable why anyone would invest north of 1B dollars and not clean house. Many of the same OBD lifers should be excised with a new owner coming.

The NFL has grown rapidly over the past 10-15 years, as evidenced by soaring team values and television contracts. The Bills, by virtue of existing within this have naturally benefitted. That's not to say everyone at OBD on the business side of the house has remained idle because they haven't. Sure, they've regionalized, but that's not a new concept. Businesses (which the Bills are first and foremost) always look to expand globally and/or into emerging markets. If you're not growing in this business environment you're dying. And the Bills have been doing that for several years.

You are making a big mistake in not recognizing what Brandon has done for the franchise. He, more than anyone else, has modernized a very archaic organization. Ralph Wilson has a history of blundering when making key hires for the franchise. However, he got it right when he entrusted Brandon to act on his behalf when he retreated from the business.

There was a year when he was involved in the football side of the business. It didn't take him long to make an adjustment to a more suitable role as a CEO, a critical role for a successful operation. That personal recognition about himself and the adjustment in his role says a lot about him as a person. For him it wasn't about ego and power, it was about the success of the franchise.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your "clean slate" approach to the current football staff. Whaley and his staff are very credible football people. What this long-term struggling franchise needs more than ever is some continuity and not the continuous churning of staff that kept this bedraggled franchise in a constant state of flux. Very often when searching for a fix the solution is thoughtful patience and not unthoughtful reaction.

I would have no problem with RB staying as CEO, as long as the team hired an NFL experienced team president to run the football side of operations. Let Brandon continue to be the top guy and handle the money side. Then hire a top notch football guy on the other side.

The Bills need a Ravens type Ozzie Newsome pres, or a Green Bay Ted Thompson. Heck, look what new president John Elway did to change the teams fortunes so quickly.