Round 2 : Sale of the team

I'd love to know what "services" they will be providing that would net them 2% interest in the team, lifetime jobs, up front cash payment, and most bizarre "final say on all football decisions"?? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hey...ask for the moon, hope for a crater.

Sounds like a good initial offer on Jimbo's part to the bidders who've got to assemble a consortium to come up with the necessary scratch.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...ask for the moon, hope for a crater.

Sounds like a good initial offer on Jimbo's part to the bidders who've got to assemble a consortium to come up with the necessary scratch.

Doesn't answer my question. What exactly are the Kelly brothers providing in return for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Starting to think the "lofty" demands by the Kelly brothers might have been an "offer to bad to accept" to JBJ given the situation. Do we know whether the Kelly's took that ridiculous offer to Golisano, Trump or Pegs ?

Supposedly he took it to Trump if I recall Tim Graham's article correctly.

If true, it is an absolutely ridiculous demand. If I were the one bidding $1B +/-, I would have declined - politely only because it is Jim. Without being rude, Jim and his brother bring very little to the table other than Jim being an ambassador for the club - unless of course, you are JBJ trying to create the mirage that he wants to keep the team in Buffalo. In the list of demands that were published, there was no mention of an ironclad agreeement to keep the team in Buffalo - only personal demands.

I prefer to think that this was Jim's brother Dan trying to get all he could (as ridiculous as the demands are) knowing that JBJ and his group are circling down the toilet - and not Jim and certainly not Jill Kelly.

Are we sure the Pegulas don't already own the team because the injury report on Sammy is very NHLesq just missed saying "upper body injury". In the NHL that can range from a decapitation to a tooth ache. Sammy has "ribs"...

Well done. Good post.

I think that it is about a JBJ group in Buffalo (imagine that). I've been reading on here for a while that is impossible so it must be true. They are saying that JBJ and Gundlach with Jim Kelly as a part of it would be a real threat. At least that is how I interpreted it. Morgan Stanley is just trying to keep around someone that is considered a thread to Pegula.

My first thought when I heard the JBJ/Kelly meeting was JBJ was looking to link up with Kelly/Gundlach as an alternative to his TO partners. Kryk now suggests that may be the case, as well with the TO group fracturing. Graham has never suggested that possibility.

The news that this was orchestrated by Morgan Stanley makes bringing Kelly to the full TO group more likely, I think. Make the TO bid more palatable. Of course, once the discussion began, any sort of combination could have been discussed. "You won't join us? Well maybe I can get the TO guys to let me go on my own as we have no chance, because of them." All speculation of course, as none of the reporters, or their sources, attended that meeting.

I have stayed away from criticizing Morgan Stanley, or The Trust. But the very idea of them suggesting the TO group go to Kelly (not Gundlach and Kelly as I understand it) to simply make the TO more bid politically palatable, and make no difference to the amount bid, seems sleazy. I believe their job is (or should be) to solicit legit bids and do their best to get the selling price as high as possible, while respecting the wishes of The Trust regarding relocation. Their inability to solicit more bids may have made them a bit desperate. But shining up a turd to make it seem less---well---turdish doesn't seem like a legit move on their part.

Now if course the Bills will likely sell for a very high price, and everyone will be happy and Morgan Stanley will get their money and add the sale to their "success" stories. But that's the kind of move that might disturb some future clients, if they have any ethics. Oh, wait, we're taking billion dollar deals here. Forget I mentioned ethics.

Edited by The Dean

Deano, while I believe the whole thing is a sham, perhaps Morgan Stanley is saying to the Trust, and to the Toronto group, "Okay, you guy are putting out that you want to keep the team in Buffalo, prove it to Jim Kelly, because we don't believe you and we will not sell it to you until you convince us."

They couldn't, which proves the point.

My first thought when I heard the JBJ/Kelly meeting was JBJ was looking to link up with Kelly/Gundlach as an alternative to his TO partners. Kryk now suggests that may be the case, as well with the TO group fracturing. Graham has never suggested that possibility.

The news that this was orchestrated by Morgan Stanley makes bringing Kelly to the full TO group more likely, I think. Make the TO bid more palatable. Of course, once the discussion began, any sort of combination could have been discussed. "You won't join us? Well maybe I can get the TO guys to let me go on my own as we have no chance, because of them." All speculation of course, as none of the reporters, or their sources, attended that meeting.

I have stayed away from criticizing Morgan Stanley, or The Trust. But the very idea of them suggesting the TO group go to Kelly (not Gundlach and Kelly as I understand it) to simply make the TO more bid politically palatable, and make no difference to the amount bid, seems sleazy. I believe their job is (or should be) to solicit legit bids and do their best to get the selling price as high as possible, while respecting the wishes of The Trust regarding relocation. Their inability to solicit more bids may have made them a bit desperate. But shining up a turd to make it seem less---well---turdish doesn't seem like a legit move on their part.

Now if course the Bills will likely sell for a very high price, and everyone will be happy and Morgan Stanley will get their money and add the sale to their "success" stories. But that's the kind of move that might disturb some future clients, if they have any ethics. Oh, wait, we're taking billion dollar deals here. Forget I mentioned ethics.

Well done sir!, "ethics" should not be in the discussion. Too much money involved,

Deano, while I believe the whole thing is a sham, perhaps Morgan Stanley is saying to the Trust, and to the Toronto group, "Okay, you guy are putting out that you want to keep the team in Buffalo, prove it to Jim Kelly, because we don't believe you and we will not sell it to you until you convince us."

I suppose but Kelly's supposed list of demands seemed like he was in this to get something--not be a litmus test. But perhaps they could have been working at cross purposes.

Well done sir!, "ethics" should not be in the discussion. Too much money involved,

:lol: Well I believe that's the most important place for ethics to hand out. But it's one of the last places I would go looking for it.

I suppose but Kelly's supposed list of demands seemed like he was in this to get something--not be a litmus test. But perhaps they could have been working at cross purposes.

Morgan Stanley does not have to know about nor care about Kelly's (ludicrous) list of demands. They are just trying to do anything to drum up some competition for El Petulante.

I sincerely doubt he would do this, but if Pegula wanted to, he could probably lower his bid from the first one and still win. I imagine he is just sitting back, half amused by the shenanigans and half mildly annoyed he has to put up with this crap, but knowing this is how business is often done at this level.

Morgan Stanley does not have to know about nor care about Kelly's (ludicrous) list of demands. They are just trying to do anything to drum up some competition for El Petulante.

I sincerely doubt he would do this, but if Pegula wanted to, he could probably lower his bid from the first one and still win. I imagine he is just sitting back, half amused by the shenanigans and half mildly annoyed he has to put up with this crap, but knowing this is how business is often done at this level.

Perfectly said, Kelly!! Morgan Stanley and the Trust just want anybody (literally anybody) to be a "threat." They don't want Pegula stealing the team. He probably scared off a good deal of buyers when he liquidated $1.75B. There aren't too many guys that want to throw it on the table and measure next to TP. The only hope for Morgan Stanley and the trust is that they can assemble some kind of viable alternative to keep Pegula's bid where they want it. If JBJ and Gundlach were to combine (hypothetically) with Kelly as a public face they would at least be taken seriously. Pegula is the guy but they don't want him running unopposed.

Man, this thing can't end soon enough. Please, for the love of all that is holy...just pick El Pegual and send the card up to the NFL owner's podium...

Man, this thing can't end soon enough. Please, for the love of all that is holy...just pick El Pegual and send the card up to the NFL owner's podium...

Think of how quiet it will be around here?

Just kidding.

I'm thinking early September, but I am willing to be very wrong.

Glass half full - Morgan Stanley is trying to pump up the price

Glass half empty - The NFL wants the Bills in Toronto and they will do anything they can to make it happen...

Or "glass full of stupid". Have you not been paying attention?

That's a very charitable interpretation!

That's a very charitable interpretation!

To me, Morgan Stanley 1] was hired to do a job for the Trust, 2] is trying to get the most money in the deal for their client, for themselves, and for the NFL owners, 3] don't really care if the Bills are in Buffalo or not, except for the fact that they were hired by the Trust and "should" be working for what the trust wants, not what they want.

Morgan Stanley also knows 1] this game is completely over and has been for weeks, 2] the Toronto guys had no real shot at this from the start and have substantially less than zero shot now, 3] Kelly/Gundlach and Golisano are the only ones left that have a chance at any kind of bid that would make Pegula bat an eye, and neither has the money right now.

So.... Morgan Stanley is trying whatever kinds of matchmaking they can with Toronto, Jk/Gundlach, and Golisano, if only because if they don't, they may as well just accept whatever Pegula wants to offer.

Even knowing the Toronto Group has zero chance, the only plausible explanation for faking they have a chance is for Jim Kelly to come out and say publicly what Jaws did. And he is not going to do it unless it is true.