Marrone on the Hot Seat?

+2 A HC needs time to change a culture, implement a system, and add/delete the personnel needed to win with both of those things.

Not when there's a new GM, as was the case in Cleveland and Jacksonville recently. Besides, when someone spends upwards of 1B they usually want their own people making decisions. Not the previous owner's people.

It's going to take a playoff season for Whaley, Marrone, and the rest of the front office and coaching staff to keep their jobs. A new owner probably won't be swayed by an 8-8 record with lots of youth.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to take a playoff season for Whaley, Marrone, and the rest of the front office and coaching staff to keep their jobs. A new owner probably won't be swayed by an 8-8 record with lots of youth.

I think it would be a terrible mistake to lose Whaley. Marrone's refusal to address special teams coach concerns me greatly, and it could lead to a job search on his part, but I hope not for a lot of reasons.

I think this is a good staff. I think most of the fans like the talent brought in by Whaley and I think most of the fans relate to/like Marrone. Winning record this year and they stay with or without the playoffs. If these guys get kicked to the curb, get ready for another long wait. Players will want to leave if that happens for sure. I trust Marrone for some reason...

Wow. What an assumption. There could be many reasons a team could go 6-10 with decent QB play. Like, a bad defense, or a kicker that missed 3 game winning FGs or injuries to Fred, CJ, Brown, Watkins and Woods. Horrid kicking teams giving up points. Coaching blunders like DJ used to make (and coach Marrone did last year) costing a couple of wins. QB putting the football right in a WRs hands in the EZ in overtime only have him drop it. On and on ...

It doesn't ALWAYS come down to QB play. Sometime it do, and sometimes it don't.

I disagree. Manuel would have to have a great statistical year in a losing record. It goes both ways. Jauron was a horrible coach as was Gailey. If Manuel succeeds so will Marrone.

When's the last time they tanked a season, though? The year before they got Dareus?

If you come up just short or are mediocre, it's a lot harder to make that decision. Maybe not for a fan but for a front office, definitely.

The new era may be here, but anything is possible when it comes to the Bills. I'm not predicting they will tank this season, not at all. It's so early, but right now, I'm thinking 8-8... and unlike some, I don't necessarily think it's playoffs or bust. Depending on your perspective, 8-8 is mediocre ... but if the team looks significantly better on the field than the recent past, I think that will probably buy everyone another year. I don't think another 6-10 season will be acceptable, especially if it's a 2003-like 6-10. Less than 6 wins, changes HAVE to be made IMO. Edited by Rico

I disagree. Manuel would have to have a great statistical year in a losing record. It goes both ways. Jauron was a horrible coach as was Gailey. If Manuel succeeds so will Marrone.

I disagree. A bad coach can mess up a good team. Think Dan Devine taking over for Vince Lombardi or Les Steckl taking over for Bud Grant. Both teams had HOF QBs and stunk.

QB is the most important position, but not the end all be all by any means.

Marrone and EJ will sink or swim together. He had a hand in picking EJ. He has had a say in not bringing in a veteran. If EJ sucks this year then Marrone is out and so is EJ. There will be enough of a nucleus of a team and enough cap room they can spend in FA for a veteran QB to get this team to the playoffs in 2015.

Marrone can keep his job even without a playoff appearance if EJ develops. It is all on EJ. Nothing else matters this year.

I don't think so but according to Vegas he comes in right after Jason Garrett as the 2nd choice to be the next head coach fired: https://www.sportsbo...categoryId=1085

This is a little odd to me. He certainly has at least this season. There are other guys (Allen) that may not.

He's not getting fired by Pegula this year. Time will tell if learns from the sabres and cleans house right away or hangs in there until it is obvious they need to go.

I hope Marrone stays but if not I would want Greg Roman or Vic Fangio of the niners to be our new coach.

I think it would be a terrible mistake to lose Whaley. Marrone's refusal to address special teams coach concerns me greatly, and it could lead to a job search on his part, but I hope not for a lot of reasons.

The addressed it by signing ST warriors like Dixon. They upgraded the roster rather than fire the coach.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Marrone and EJ will sink or swim together. He had a hand in picking EJ. He has had a say in not bringing in a veteran. If EJ sucks this year then Marrone is out and so is EJ. There will be enough of a nucleus of a team and enough cap room they can spend in FA for a veteran QB to get this team to the playoffs in 2015.

Marrone can keep his job even without a playoff appearance if EJ develops. It is all on EJ. Nothing else matters this year.

This pretty much sums it up. If EJ stinks, Marrone will go down with him since he has hitched his wagon to EJ. Whaley could be in the same boat.

This pretty much sums it up. If EJ stinks, Marrone will go down with him since he has hitched his wagon to EJ. Whaley could be in the same boat.

Unless the new owner wants to just clean house Whaley's not going anywhere. Barring a catastrophic collapse, GMs get a bit more time than coaches.

Who is this Veteran QB that you have in mind ? Veteran castoffs don't take team to playoffs.

He's not getting fired by Pegula this year. Time will tell if learns from the sabres and cleans house right away or hangs in there until it is obvious they need to go.

I hope Marrone stays but if not I would want Greg Roman or Vic Fangio of the niners to be our new coach.

I want Marty Ball....

Not when there's a new GM, as was the case in Cleveland and Jacksonville recently. Besides, when someone spends upwards of 1B they usually want their own people making decisions. Not the previous owner's people.

i don't think there will be a new GM. And I don't think Cleveland is a model franchise to emulate how they approach things. In fact, the opposite. jax is a little diff IMO because Caldwell knew mularkey from ATL and hated him so there was no chance of him retaining him when he came in.

Who is this Veteran QB that you have in mind ? Veteran castoffs don't take team to playoffs.

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. (I have a hard time with sarcasm)

Here's the ones I can think of off the top my head:

Kurt Warner

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Doug Flutie

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

Joe Montana

Craig Morton

Matt Hasselbeck

Mark Brunell

Alex Smith

Kelly Holcomb

Peyton Manning

Jay Cutler

Dave Krieg

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. (I have a hard time with sarcasm)

Here's the ones I can think of off the top my head:

Kurt Warner

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Doug Flutie

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

Joe Montana

Craig Morton

Matt Hasselbeck

Mark Brunell

Alex Smith

Kelly Holcomb

Peyton Manning

Jay Cutler

Dave Krieg

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Yeah but besides those.

Well that's the thing...you'll never know. I guess we should fire every coach/GM after one season then. That way you're never wrong. You'll never win but no coach will stay too long...or work for you at all. If they don't win a Super Bowl in one season, they never will.

I get your point, but Marrone and Whaley went all in with EJ and now Watkins in a HUGE way. I can't emphasize this enough. No #1 draft selection in 2015!!!!!

So Promo, if they really do tank the season, should we keep Marrone? Should we really?

Absolutely.

Agreed. When Pegula bought the Sabres, he went in w/ the perception of Lindy/Darcy being in year one. Erasing almost everything they did prior to his ownership. I believe Pegula, if ends up owning the Bills, would give Marrone and Whaley the same opportunity. And I'm all for that. The Bills have been a bit more liberal in the draft/offseason. That's not typical front office Buffalo. Keep Marrone/Whaley. Wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to get back into the first round of next year's draft.