This EJ Scouting Report Proven Deadly Accurate So Far

No, what does Winston have to do with anything? Should we have drafted him? Should he be our starter this year?

Explain why Ponder was 183 for 294 for 2038 yards and 20 TD's vs 8 INT's and was drafted 12th 4 slots ahead of where EJ went?

You've convinced me, EJ is better than Ponder. Thank god we got that cleared up.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truley fear 3-4 more years of STILL trying to land a bona-fide NFL QB.

You and me BOTH... sick of people trying to find all this good when it hasn't all shown up on the field... and so, like this year, I guess we have to go big to find THE GUY if we have to add yet another name to the "Failed Former Bills QBs after Jimbo" list... hoping we don't...!

Edited by BmoreBills

You and me BOTH... sick of people trying to find all this good when it hasn't all shown up on the field... and so, like this year, I guess we have to go big to find THE GUY if we have to add yet another name to the "Failed Former Bills QBs after Jimbo" list... hoping we don't...!

Yes you do.

Actually, Manning would be "33 jet flat Z waggle slide X post OMAHA!"

With regards to the article, one key point was

Well...yeah, but the bigger problem there would be that those mechanics should not be things you think about. That's what practice is for - you drill and drill and drill until the mechanics, footwork, throwing motion, etc., become second nature and embedded in "muscle memory" and you don't have to expend any conscious thought on them. That's what differentiates professionals from everyone else.

The good news is that's fixable - not easily, but it is fixable. Bad news is it takes time - time that Manuel is not going to be given.

That is exactly what i thought. At 23 and with over 1000 passing plays in college alone, mechanics are going to be a difficult thing to change. It can happen but is going to take years to do so. I also think the assessment about of the great QB's have that ego is something EJ lacks. They all have it the 'f you and i will show you' mentality. It is a fine line between real confidence and arrogance, Players know when someone is real and believes in themselves, they will then follow you. EJ could posses this for sure, to this point he seems more like a 'say the right thing and look the part' guy.

That is exactly what i thought. At 23 and with over 1000 passing plays in college alone, mechanics are going to be a difficult thing to change. It can happen but is going to take years to do so. I also think the assessment about of the great QB's have that ego is something EJ lacks.

I love the fabricated critiques of EJ. They can come from all directions.

"He's not accurate!"

"He's as accurate as were Kelly and Andrew Luck in their rookie seasons."

"He is too cocky and sure of himself for a rookie! Did you hear him! He said the offense was easy! Too relaxed! Doesn't he take this seriously?" at the same time as "he has that hang-dog look and bad body language! Not enough ego!"

"His mechanics are bad! Mechanics are hard to change!"

"Aaron Rodgers changed his mechanics with good coaching, and now EJ has a QB coach."

"Oh, so NOW you're comparing him to Aaron Rodgers!"

"No, I'm explaining that QBs have altered their mechanics to great success."

"He doesn't have 'IT' / possess magic beans / ARGLE FLARBLE" <--- the last resort of someone who just wants to be right more than they want to evaluate football on its merits.

The one criticism or worry that I think is most warranted is the injury one. Hopefully he can defy the injury-prone label this season. The other things are questions most NFL QBs face, at least those not named Luck or Manning. I'm not saying he will answer all of those questions and is destined for success.

I'm not saying he will answer all of those questions and is destined for success.

I'm not saying he will answer all of those questions and is destined for success.

But there is nothing that will prove any of us right or wrong like time.

Bud Elliott is legit. He has no axe to grind for or against, and he is about as astute and dedicated a FSU observer as you can find.

I came across his article three quarters through the 2013 season.

My immediate reaction was "but wait...that's exactly what I thought I was seeing from EJ".

It was not a good feeling.

Hopefully the Bills know better than Bud.

Or maybe they should have read the article.

I suppose we will all find out in due course.

This is precisely what we saw when EJ returned from his injury early in the season. It's too bad the Bills didn't see this report. It's not what you want to hear and certainly not what one expects of a high first round pick. Do things improve? Hopefully, but one thing is pretty certain: EJ will not be the running threat he once was.

its too bad the Bills - with an NFL scouting dept that has at least 40% more info than even a draft expert let alone a couple guys in Tallahassee who are reporters, not football evaluators - didn't see this report? I have no words.

Manuel's only hope is to emulate the early days of Big Ben. That would be high teens for touchdowns and under 10 interceptions. Limit the turnovers and 3 and outs, while improving redzone touchdown % and we have a chance.

Said every coach and GM, everywhere.

I love the fabricated critiques of EJ. They can come from all directions.

"He's not accurate!"

"He's as accurate as were Kelly and Andrew Luck in their rookie seasons."

"He is too cocky and sure of himself for a rookie! Did you hear him! He said the offense was easy! Too relaxed! Doesn't he take this seriously?" at the same time as "he has that hang-dog look and bad body language! Not enough ego!"

"His mechanics are bad! Mechanics are hard to change!"

"Aaron Rodgers changed his mechanics with good coaching, and now EJ has a QB coach."

"Oh, so NOW you're comparing him to Aaron Rodgers!"

"No, I'm explaining that QBs have altered their mechanics to great success."

"He doesn't have 'IT' / possess magic beans / ARGLE FLARBLE" <--- the last resort of someone who just wants to be right more than they want to evaluate football on its merits.

The one criticism or worry that I think is most warranted is the injury one. Hopefully he can defy the injury-prone label this season. The other things are questions most NFL QBs face, at least those not named Luck or Manning. I'm not saying he will answer all of those questions and is destined for success.

But there is nothing that will prove any of us right or wrong like time.

Awesome post, EJ could put up numbers like 3,500 yds, 25 tds, 13 ints, with a 63 completion percentage and some would say its alright but.......

Awesome post, EJ could put up numbers like 3,500 yds, 25 tds, 13 ints, with a 63 completion percentage and some would say its alright but.......

Speaking of fabricated stuff.

its too bad the Bills - with an NFL scouting dept that has at least 40% more info than even a draft expert let alone a couple guys in Tallahassee who are reporters, not football evaluators - didn't see this report? I have no words.

Phew! What a relief!

Glad the Bills had it all figured out.

Not dissing the football evaluators, but they do seem to get it wrong a lot, and not just the Bills of course.

Here's hoping they got it right.

Time will tell all.

Phew! What a relief!

Glad the Bills had it all figured out.

Not dissing the football evaluators, but they do seem to get it wrong a lot, and not just the Bills of course.

Here's hoping they got it right.

Time will tell all.

im sorry - but this is not a "scouting report." Nice write up? Good observations? Sure.

If EJ does the Bills are in the playoffs, let people say what they will at that point.

EJ could be the guy and i want him to be, i am not going to let me hope cloud what i have seen so far. This report given BEFORE he was drafted has been accurate to date. We all as Bills fans want the part about him being able to learn be true. This does possibly points out the fact EJ, to date, is not a true natural QB passer. That does not mean he can not be a good to great QB, he has to learn and adapt a style that works for him and allows him to maximize his talents and accuracy.

Bud Elliott is legit. He has no axe to grind for or against, and he is about as astute and dedicated a FSU observer as you can find.

I came across his article three quarters through the 2013 season.

My immediate reaction was "but wait...that's exactly what I thought I was seeing from EJ".

It was not a good feeling.

Hopefully the Bills know better than Bud.

Or maybe they should have read the article.

I suppose we will all find out in due course.

I doubt the Bills evaluate talent by reading random articles on the internet.

So we're comparing scouting reports after 1 year in the NFL? You realize there are a ton of really good Qbs who struggled as rookies right?

This hot pocket mentality over every practice is getting downright stupid. Do this after the season.

We did - and now those HOF or bust evaluations hang on every tweet from each reporter we hated all offseason about throws we never saw but heard were short hopped on a broken play (bust!) or td thrown over a future september 2014 wegmans employee of the month (HoF!) (Also, I knew that guy had hustle and it would pay off. A shame we couldn't outbid the produce manager for his services)