Who's Gonna Sniff Out (And Snuff Out) The Run With Kiko Out?

OK, so our run defense has been pretty bad for several years now. And Kiko's hurt. So we need somebody else to sniff out running plays and shut 'em down. How are we gonna do that with the talent at hand?

Preston Brown's a rookie - - so he's likely to over-pursue and leave cutback lanes.

If Aaron Williams is taking Byrd's FS spot, he's gonna be preoccupied with the pass. True, we got several other Williams on the team - - but they ain't Kiko.

Marcel Dareus - - well, don't get me started on Marcel's shortcomings.

But we are in luck. Advances in stem cell research can now give our weaker players the opportunity to sniff out the run, even if some road-grading OL or smash mouth FB gets them completely turned around at the line of scrimmage.

Don't believe me? Read this article - - this breakthrough could have made John DiGiorgio a star:

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/woman-grows-nose-her-spine-after-stem-cell-experiment?src=related&con=outbrain&obref=obinsite

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the board forgets that a lot of Kiko's success came from outstanding defensive line play. He was able to scrape freely last season. Our DT's allowed him to flow without interruption while edge players kept the ball contained. Losing Kiko is undoubtedly a blow to our team. However, with our addition of Brandon Spikes and consistent defensive line play, I think whoever fills the WLB role will be adequate.

Two years ago the board raved about how bad Bradham was. I argued that it was often our scheme and lack of Nick Barnett's ability to take on a Offensive Lineman. If we sit in the true wide nine, 4-3 look that it appears we're going for, Bradham, Rivers or whoever should often be the 'snuffer'.

OK. I am going to be the !@#$ here.

We are worried about who replaces Kiko? Well, I am not exactly worried about who replaces kiko as much as I am worried about who is going to finally play the run. Yeah its great having a MLB make a ton of tackles but who cares when the RB penetrated the next level every single time?

Schwartz's defense is designed to funnel all of the runs up the middle to the DT's and MLB. They spread the line out and attack the QB from the outside in. That's why we signed Spikes, possibly the best run stuffer in the league at his position. And we already have the best DT combo. I think we are going to be ok

Schwartz's defense is designed to funnel all of the runs up the middle to the DT's and MLB. They spread the line out and attack the QB from the outside in. That's why we signed Spikes, possibly the best run stuffer in the league at his position. And we already have the best DT combo. I think we are going to be ok

Exactly!!! Funneling the run to one of the best Mike's in the league against the run should certainly help disguise some other short comings... I also agree that Bradham will surprise some overlooking him...

OK, so our run defense has been pretty bad for several years now. And Kiko's hurt. So we need somebody else to sniff out running plays and shut 'em down. How are we gonna do that with the talent at hand?

Preston Brown's a rookie - - so he's likely to over-pursue and leave cutback lanes.

If Aaron Williams is taking Byrd's FS spot, he's gonna be preoccupied with the pass. True, we got several other Williams on the team - - but they ain't Kiko.

Marcel Dareus - - well, don't get me started on Marcel's shortcomings.

But we are in luck. Advances in stem cell research can now give our weaker players the opportunity to sniff out the run, even if some road-grading OL or smash mouth FB gets them completely turned around at the line of scrimmage.

Don't believe me? Read this article - - this breakthrough could have made John DiGiorgio a star:

http://www.popsci.co...&obref=obinsite

Do you think that was a weakness of Kiko as a rookie also?

Brandon Spikes will be a big difference in stopping the run.

I also think Alan Branch should be used a lot more, he's a very good run defender, and I still would rather see Manny Lawson play at OLB or at not be a down lineman, he's great at run defense.

your handle tells it all, you are asleep....does that mean dead???? Brandon Spikes, have you heard of him...is the middle LB

With the breakthrough described in the article, Spikes could even play "nose tackle" (if we ever switch things up and play a 3-4 in certain down and distance situations), and still be a great run defender. And do that despite being outweighed by the other team's center by a wide margin.

Being more instinctive at sniffing out the run can make up for a lack of size. If Spikes underwent the new procedure, it would almost be like he had eyes in the back of his head. You could never surprise him.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead