Who's Gonna Sniff Out (And Snuff Out) The Run With Kiko Out?

Brandon Spikes.

He was may be their biggest FA signing since Mario Williams. There is simply no better ILB against the run then Spikes right now. He has led the league the past 2 seasons and in the prime of his career.

The scary thing is, he has never played behind a line as good as our current d line. 3 pro bowlers in front of him eating up blockers and letting him do his thing which is to destroy the ball carrier. He takes tremendous pride in that and is looking to bring the pain.

He has a huge chip on his shoulder after the way things went down in NE and cannot wait to take it out on BB twice a year.

This unfortunate injury to Alonso also opens the door for Spikes to show he can be more then just a 2 down ILB. He claims he wasnt given the chance in NE so hopefully he can step up and provide some 3rd down reps. He is also a natural leader. This team has been desperate for some vocal, fiery leaders on defense and Spikes brings that

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so our run defense has been pretty bad for several years now. And Kiko's hurt. So we need somebody else to sniff out running plays and shut 'em down. How are we gonna do that with the talent at hand?

Preston Brown's a rookie - - so he's likely to over-pursue and leave cutback lanes.

If Aaron Williams is taking Byrd's FS spot, he's gonna be preoccupied with the pass. True, we got several other Williams on the team - - but they ain't Kiko.

Marcel Dareus - - well, don't get me started on Marcel's shortcomings.

But we are in luck. Advances in stem cell research can now give our weaker players the opportunity to sniff out the run, even if some road-grading OL or smash mouth FB gets them completely turned around at the line of scrimmage.

Don't believe me? Read this article - - this breakthrough could have made John DiGiorgio a star:

http://www.popsci.co...&obref=obinsite

Thats some crazy stuff. I was reading something about visual enhancements, possibly based of google glass.

Goodell has his hands full.

Of technological media challenges . Which creat moral discussions , and purist get uppity .

As soon as the plays were called into the helmet , the Game changed .

And then the Patriots cheated .

I want hard dirt turf , bulhorns and head hunting back .

Bradham will surprise .

yep. i agree .

The best run stop MLB in the league? I read somewhere we signed him

Oh yes then again we have Spikes !

I think he is The Problem Solver.

even if he looks fat at camp

Who sniffed/snuffed the run out when Kiko was in last year?

No one.

This is not a huge loss. Get over it.

Was just going to say this. And when did Kiko consistently snuff out the run? He is an animal and a playmaker. Not a run stuffer.

He'll be missed but this injury can be overcome. Plus what if Brandham is the real deal?

Edited by Big Blitz

Brandon Spikes.

He was may be their biggest FA signing since Mario Williams. There is simply no better ILB against the run then Spikes right now. He has led the league the past 2 seasons and in the prime of his career.

The scary thing is, he has never played behind a line as good as our current d line. 3 pro bowlers in front of him eating up blockers and letting him do his thing which is to destroy the ball carrier. He takes tremendous pride in that and is looking to bring the pain.

He has a huge chip on his shoulder after the way things went down in NE and cannot wait to take it out on BB twice a year.

This unfortunate injury to Alonso also opens the door for Spikes to show he can be more then just a 2 down ILB. He claims he wasnt given the chance in NE so hopefully he can step up and provide some 3rd down reps. He is also a natural leader. This team has been desperate for some vocal, fiery leaders on defense and Spikes brings that

what he said !

Who sniffed/snuffed the run out when Kiko was in last year?

No one.

This is not a huge loss. Get over it.

The abilty to stop the run was not exactly last years starting MLB fault now was it? Really.

He was the best one they had to put there maybe ?

But gugny it is a huge loss . And its not about the run game . Its about having the best players on the field . Alosnso will be missed. He was just scratchin' . The kid has a ton o f upside. The reaons most of us are butt hurt , well me anyways . He was moving to what i considered his natural position of running to the ball .

Spikes in theory fixes the run along with DC Jim .

I will be pining for Kiko all the Fall long . But Nigel Bradham will surprise.

what he said !

what both of them said.

in

Was just going to say this. And when did Kiko consistently snuff out the run? He is an animal and a playmaker. Not a run stuffer.

He'll be missed but this injury can be overcome. Plus what if Brandham is the real deal?

Bradham is certainly athletic, but is he instinctive enough? Once he figures out where to go, he snuffs things, but does he sniff them out quickly enough? I'm not convinced he has a nose for the ball, but maybe with more experience he'll get better.

Do you think that was a weakness of Kiko as a rookie also?

That was going to be my point. We will see the loss of Kiko against the pass, but he was beaten up by Guards against the run as he was just not big enough and made for the Wil.

I think Preston Brown could surprise people with his speed, and coverage skills. He's definitely stronger and more powerful than Kiko so we could be stout against the run.

It would be fun to shut down the Jets so they have to pass as we can watch Geno get picked 4 times a game.

Thats some crazy stuff. I was reading something about visual enhancements, possibly based of google glass.

Goodell has his hands full.

Of technological media challenges . Which creat moral discussions , and purist get uppity .

As soon as the plays were called into the helmet , the Game changed .

And then the Patriots cheated .

I want hard dirt turf , bulhorns and head hunting back .

Bradham will surprise .

yep. i agree .

Oh yes then again we have Spikes !

I think he is The Problem Solver.

even if he looks fat at camp

Its like a bear shedding his winter layer of fat......and its all good at absorbing punishment from blockers to run stuff.....

Dont worry....I think Spikes has been in this rodeo before

Every rodeo needs a clown, insert MD99

No that wasnt called for was it ? : )

To John's point .

No doubt Spikes is all in and about competing to win every down he can get on the field . I am going to assume he is well prepared and has a mind set to dominate the game. I think he wants everyone withiin earshot to do the same . even though he is still shedding those wintry layers LOL !

Kiko could play the run like nobodies business with his very good play recognition and speed to the ball . I expected that to improve this year . And being able to move him outside is just a joy to consider . Some of us think its his natural postion .

Those who criticise the run defense and focus on Alonso are barking at the wrong tree .

Spikes and Alonso are both excellent at play recon And Brandon has enough experience to give me confidence this year in him.

But we have Rivers an unknown really. And Nigel . I believe that Nigel weakness is his reading plays , as another fine poster mentioned .

Last year is last year let it go.

I did not at first think Jim Schwartz was all that hot .

I currently think he might be just what the doctor ordered and a smart pickup by Whaley.

Bills defense should be making a marked improvement this year .

If the DTs can get in shape finally ?

Go Preston Brown !

Do you think that was a weakness of Kiko as a rookie also?

I think most rookie LBs who aren't high draft picks have a tendency to over-pursue. Think about it - - you're new to the league, you've spent a few months with your nose in the playbook trying to figure out what's what, and all of a sudden you're chasing a hard-nosed speed merchant like Antoine Peterson. You know the guy is probably faster than you, so you run as hard as you can to beat him to the corner. Leaves you set up for the cutback.

Until a rookie like Preston Brown realizes that nobody can rub his nose in it, and he really does have the talent and speed to get to the edge, he's gonna go flat out to avoid getting' embarrassed.

A guy who nose he has the speed to avoid getting beat to the edge is less likely to over pursue, because he will be more under control as he heads toward the sideline. Makes change of direction easier if the RB cuts back.