Most underrated player going into camp

Who is the most underrated Bills player going into the start of training camp?

I know it's a pretty simple question, but I'm curious as to what people will say. Of course we're going to be talking about Spiller and Freddy in the backfield, about Dareus and Mario on the D-line, and about Sammy Watkins. But who do you think is being passed over?

For my money, it's Mike Williams. A lot has been made about his off the field problems, and Rodak seemed ready to jump the cut and claimed that the man is on the bubble to make the team. However, despite his off the field problems, the man has had massive on the field success. He's definitely not a solo star like his old teammate Vincent Jackson, but from what I've seen on his videos, he's a great route runner, something necessary in Marrone's West Coast influenced system.He's got size and speed really close to Sammy, an even better vertical, a knack for winning jump balls and we already know that he's been able to adjust to the speed on the game on the Pro Level.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we just go through the most under and over rated players on the team last month?

With that said, finally the June/July drought is over and we have a football game coming up.

Go Bills!

Oh, and Mike Williams is an excellent WR. I've watched him for four years down here in Tampa. He was just a knucklehead off the field. People are going to be pleasantly surprised how well he plays this year.

Didn't we just go through the most under and over rated players on the team last month?

With that said, finally the June/July drought is over and we have a football game coming up.

Go Bills!

Oh, and Mike Williams is an excellent WR. I've watched him for four years down here in Tampa. He was just a knucklehead off the field. People are going to be pleasantly surprised how well he plays this year.

...maybe. But I've got the football shakes, and I think I missed that topic.

Sorry...can't do 1! Some of these qualify as underrated, some probably don't, but, these are things that interest me.

By people here...The Englishman Nigel Bradham. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be just fine in this defense. He hasn't shown a ton (to me at least) in his first couple seasons but...

Bryce Brown...best 3rd string RB in the NFL? There will come a time when his presence on the field is very important.

Dustin Hopkins...can he force the coaches to carry 2 kickers?

Seantrel Henderson...UDFA to the starting LOT for TC. Glenn will hopefully return from injury quickly but the coach's choice here is interesting. Does he deserve the reps? Are they telling him that his talent deserves the reps even if he as a player doesn't (yet)? Are they using this opportunity as a motivational tool?

Manny Hughes (yes, I know)...how will they hold up? Will their hand be in the dirt consistently? Can either handle the run?

To those at the national level...Manuel. He has much to prove and I hope he's up to the task.

For my money, I will say Ron Brooks. He hasn't had the opportunity to show much yet; largely due to injury, and his place on the depth chart, but I think that he will not quietly play an important role on this team and have a solid year.

Sorry...can't do 1! Some of these qualify as underrated, some probably don't, but, these are things that interest me.

By people here...The Englishman Nigel Bradham. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be just fine in this defense. He hasn't shown a ton (to me at least) in his first couple seasons but...

Bryce Brown...best 3rd string RB in the NFL? There will come a time when his presence on the field is very important.

Dustin Hopkins...can he force the coaches to carry 2 kickers?

Seantrel Henderson...UDFA to the starting LOT for TC. Glenn will hopefully return from injury quickly but the coach's choice here is interesting. Does he deserve the reps? Are they telling him that his talent deserves the reps even if he as a player doesn't (yet)? Are they using this opportunity as a motivational tool?

Manny Hughes (yes, I know)...how will they hold up? Will their hand be in the dirt consistently? Can either handle the run?

To those at the national level...Manuel. He has much to prove and I hope he's up to the task.

He may be the most complete back fit for our system on the roster.

tempDSC_3441--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Could it be...7-11...?

I actually agree with Mike Williams also, but since I can't pick that one, here's another one for me.

Brandon Spikes - We haven't had a player like him in a long time. I think we're undervaluing how much a hard hitting veteran LB is going to mean to this team both physically and mentally.

I agree on Mike Williams. He was TB's #2 WR next to Vincent Jackson, had 3 straight seasons of 800-900+yds per and 26 TDs before getting hurt last year, and yet he is our #3 WR.

I still think he has a shot of being a starter to open the season. Sammy looks promising, but he's still a rookie. It might be nice to have a veteran start while he works on his route running. Either way, I fully expect to see a LOT of 3 WR sets.

I also agree on Bryce Brown.

I actually agree with Mike Williams also, but since I can't pick that one, here's another one for me.

Brandon Spikes - We haven't had a player like him in a long time. I think we're undervaluing how much a hard hitting veteran LB is going to mean to this team both physically and mentally.

Agree with Spikes, especially in the typical Schwartz scheme. He basically relies on his MLB to be a thumper who controls the A gaps and very rarely drops into coverage.

Dareus and K. Williams could really shine with the Schwartz scheme too, since their job is basically to shoot the B gap and create havoc.

This should actually go under TC "sleepers", but Ty Powell could be ready to take a big step with Kiko out. He's extremely athletic and fast. Apparently his main weakness is in coverage, despite the fact he played a little safety in JuCo. Interesting talent.

I think Fred is the biggest sleeper. They are probably expecting him to be #3 on the depth chart behind Spiller and Brown but he will be the starter by week 3. Happens every year so it should hardly be a surprise

Agree with Spikes, especially in the typical Schwartz scheme. He basically relies on his MLB to be a thumper who controls the A gaps and very rarely drops into coverage.

Dareus and K. Williams could really shine with the Schwartz scheme too, since their job is basically to shoot the B gap and create havoc.

Full speed into guards all dayyyyyy. It woulda been nice knowing Kiko was scraping, but I think if our D line plays how they did last year and spikes leads the charge, it starts to matter less who is cleaning up the pile in the run game

I think Fred is the biggest sleeper. They are probably expecting him to be #3 on the depth chart behind Spiller and Brown but he will be the starter by week 3. Happens every year so it should hardly be a surprise

i don't expect him to be the #3 back, I just expect them to limit his carries, and that is where BB comes in. I also expect 28 and 22 on the field at the same time, since they don't have to worry as much about keeping one of them fresh with BB in the wings.

Full speed into guards all dayyyyyy. It woulda been nice knowing Kiko was scraping, but I think if our D line plays how they did last year and spikes leads the charge, it starts to matter less who is cleaning up the pile in the run game

IMO that was the big thing with Kiko's move to WLB. He seemed to be a reliable tackler last season and with his athleticism and instincts it seemed like he was also tailor made for the role he was going to play.

I'll go with E.J. Nobody seems to be expecting much from him this year. The national media continually questions him. The pundits ranking the 2014 starting QBs always place him in the bottom half. But, mark my words, he's going to light it up this season and toss 30+ TDs.

(Of course, this is all wishful thinking. But if it turns it he actually was the most underrated player going into 2014, it'll make for a great season).