What is better, no guns, or more guns?

25 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

maybe if you were good at the first job (or really had it), you wouldn't need a second job

Also if you do write it up, you should enlist the help of a statistician to calculate the odds of not finding a condition in hundreds of subjects that have an overall prevalence of that condition of over 50%.  It's got to be astronomical!!  Remarkable.  or absolute BS

Oh wow, personal attack again. Weird, I've never done that to you. 

I took a position at the High School I work for after a friend passed away (who was doing this job) and they needed to fill the void. I started last year and enjoyed it so much,   I signed another contract. As a mental health counselor, I am basically an independent contractor and have to pay for my own health insurance. Working at the school I get AMAZING health benefits. So I have the best of both worlds and I'm happy. 

BTW: A lot of people who work in education work two jobs. I do it because I want to, not because I have to. 

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The following is a partial list of when an AR-15-style weapon was used in a mass shooting:

Feb. 14, 2018: Shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida leaves 17 people dead.

Oct. 1, 2017: The Las Vegas slaughter of 58 people.

Nov. 5, 2017: The Sutherland Springs, Texas, church shooting that claimed 26 lives.

June 12, 2016: The Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., that left 49 dead.

Dec. 2, 2015: The San Bernardino, Calif., shooting that killed 14 people.

Dec. 14, 2012: The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut that took 27 lives.

It was ar-15's. the weapon of choice in mass shooting. 

Damn, can't wait to see this thing banned again 

For his 2016 book “Rampage Nation,” Klarevas collected data on every gun massacre — which he defines as six or more people shot and killed — for the 50 years before 2016. His aim was to see whether there was any change in the number of gun massacres while the 10-year federal ban on assault weapons was in place.

He calls the results “staggering.” Compared with the 10-year period before the ban, the number of gun massacres during the ban period fell by 37 percent, and the number of people dying from gun massacres fell by 43 percent. But after the ban lapsed in 2004, the numbers shot up again — an astonishing 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/02/15/its-time-to-bring-back-the-assault-weapons-ban-gun-violence-experts-say/

Orlando, Islamic terrorist also used a handgun. Va Tech, worst school shooting in American history, used two handguns (9mm and .22LR), you know this. We've gone over it a million times. 

And the 1994 "assault weapon ban" didn't do anything to change any effectiveness of the AR platform. Having a "birdcage" muzzle vs no muzzle changes NOTHING. 

main-qimg-ace17fb3f70f72073f1ca1ebb4cb5f7d-lq.thumb.jpg.a4f5fccd51a39d240c9db263c4c3548f.jpgxm-15-comparison-1.thumb.jpg.502d460bb3bbb3c1057714e0275275c7.jpg

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

25 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The following is a partial list of when an AR-15-style weapon was used in a mass shooting:

Feb. 14, 2018: Shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida leaves 17 people dead.

Oct. 1, 2017: The Las Vegas slaughter of 58 people.

Nov. 5, 2017: The Sutherland Springs, Texas, church shooting that claimed 26 lives.

June 12, 2016: The Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., that left 49 dead.

Dec. 2, 2015: The San Bernardino, Calif., shooting that killed 14 people.

Dec. 14, 2012: The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut that took 27 lives.

It was ar-15's. the weapon of choice in mass shooting. 

Damn, can't wait to see this thing banned again 

I'll do one even better... out of the worst "mass shootings" since 1949:

13 were carried out by semi-automatic rifles (rifles including the Austin bell tower shooter's M1)

17 were carried out by handguns

So, ban the AR-15

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

When I was kid we had mandatory drills where we went into the hallway and covered our heads with our butts in the air, preparing for a nuclear bomb to hit the playground! And as you’all know I turned out just fine. 

You're not traumatized? 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Oh wow, personal attack again. Weird, I've never done that to you. 

I took a position at the High School I work for after a friend passed away (who was doing this job) and they needed to fill the void. I started last year and enjoyed it so much,   I signed another contract. As a mental health counselor, I am basically an independent contractor and have to pay for my own health insurance. Working at the school I get AMAZING health benefits. So I have the best of both worlds and I'm happy. 

BTW: A lot of people who work in education work two jobs. I do it because I want to, not because I have to. 

Then you know the odds of not finding a student with a particular diagnosis that has a prevalence of 50% is the same as flipping a coin that number of times and it always coming up heads.  So for 500 students, that would be 500 heads in a row. (higher if you make the reasonable assumption that those students seeking counselling would likely have a higher than 50% prevalence)

I'm not interested in attacking you.  I'm interested in attacking lies.  Those same odds are the likelihood that you are being truthful here about students and your work with them

As an  aside and with your psychology hat on, how bout a hypothesis on this:

why do so many MAGA's here lie about their jobs?

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

When I was kid we had mandatory drills where we went into the hallway and covered our heads with our butts in the air, preparing for a nuclear bomb to hit the playground! And as you’all know I turned out just fine. 

School shootings aren't ending up "just fine"

Edited by redtail hawk

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

Then you know the odds of not finding a student with a particular diagnosis that has a prevalence of 50% is the same as flipping a coin that number of times and it always coming heads.  So for 500 students, that would be 500 heads in a row.

I'm not interesting in attacking you.  I'm interested in attacking lies.  Those same odds are the likelihood that you are being truthful here about students and your work with them

so your saying all students are murderers and we should lock them all up!? were you hit in the head with a golfball last time out? thats CRAZY you even suggested it.

lol i like your debate style. its easy. 

whoops almost forgot the emoji. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffarukus said:

so your saying all students are murderers and we should lock them all up!? were you hit in the head with a golfball last time out? thats CRAZY you even suggested it.

lol i like your debate style. its easy. 

whoops almost forgot the emoji. 😁

you need a new bulb in your flashlight or perhaps new batteries.  better yet, a new flashlight...

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Reading comprehension problems today Hawk? It’s Friday….I’ll let it slide. 😉

uh huh...I'm not letting slide an analogy between school shooting induced fear and anxiety in children and nuclear weapon drills.  you know, cuz it's really sick, 8 days a week.

Edited by redtail hawk

51 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you need a new bulb in your flashlight or perhaps new batteries.  better yet, a new flashlight...

you kids and your high tech gobbly goop. in my day you made your own candles out of shoe polish and a shoe string. boom light for weeks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

Then you know the odds of not finding a student with a particular diagnosis that has a prevalence of 50% is the same as flipping a coin that number of times and it always coming up heads.  So for 500 students, that would be 500 heads in a row. (higher if you make the reasonable assumption that those students seeking counselling would likely have a higher than 50% prevalence)

I'm not interested in attacking you.  I'm interested in attacking lies.  Those same odds are the likelihood that you are being truthful here about students and your work with them

As an  aside and with your psychology hat on, how bout a hypothesis on this:

why do so many MAGA's here lie about their jobs?

You think I’m lying about my jobs? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You think I’m lying about my jobs? 

if you really work as a counselor at a high school and claim to have never seen anyone experiencing fear and anxiety over school shootings, then yes.  Flip a coin 20 times and see how many times it comes up heads.  Either you’re lying about your job, lying about your experience in it or about to win the lottery

Edited by redtail hawk

45 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

if you really work as a counselor at a high school and claim to have never seen anyone experiencing fear and anxiety over school shootings, then yes.  Flip a coin 20 times and see how many times it comes up heads.  Either you’re lying about your job, lying about your experience in it or about to win the lottery

interesting you…who made up a story about nazi recruitment posters…is calling someone a liar 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

Here’s the thing… I don’t give a ***** if you believe me or not. 

Have a great evening!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Here’s the thing… I don’t give a ***** if you believe me or not. 

Have a great evening!

"Never believe that (insert your bias eg MAGA's)) are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The (eg MAGA's) have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side."

Edited by redtail hawk

Eventually, as the demographics change, as more horrendous slaughters occur, the  politics will change. At some point in the future , Gen Z will vote in change if politicians don’t act. People in other developed and less developed nations think we are absolutely nuts tolerating this in our society.

The problem with these guns is their killing power far outlives the lives of, or the desire of, their owner to possess them. They sit in homes for decades, waiting for some tragic event of human error to occur. Taxes on guns and ammo should be used for aggressive gun buy-back programs to get unneeded guns out of society. A lot of other changes can be done too regarding safe storage, background checks, etc too. 

• Dislike 3

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

Eventually, as the demographics change, as more horrendous slaughters occur, the  politics will change. At some point in the future , Gen Z will vote in change if politicians don’t act. People in other developed and less developed nations think we are absolutely nuts tolerating this in our society.

The problem with these guns is their killing power far outlives the lives of, or the desire of, their owner to possess them. They sit in homes for decades, waiting for some tragic event of human error to occur. Taxes on guns and ammo should be used for aggressive gun buy-back programs to get unneeded guns out of society. A lot of other changes can be done too regarding safe storage, background checks, etc too. 

Gen Z will grow up to be more and more conservative just like the millennials did. It wasn't too long ago that people were probably saying the same things about millennials but the older you get the more conservative you typically get because you are working hard and you don't want to take 1 step forward and 2 steps back by paying the way of idiots that don't work or people that take advantage of the system and you want the world to be more like the way it was when you were a kid so that your kids can have the same good life

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Gen Z will grow up to be more and more conservative just like the millennials did. It wasn't too long ago that people were probably saying the same things about millennials but the older you get the more conservative you typically get because you are working hard and you don't want to take 1 step forward and 2 steps back by paying the way of idiots that don't work or people that take advantage of the system and you want the world to be more like the way it was when you were a kid so that your kids can have the same good life

You may be right, but I think “conservative” 20 yrs from now will be different than what is conservative today. Just as todays Trump brand is different from the Bush brand.I could see a version of conservatism that is somewhat more restrictive on guns. Ideologies of both parties evolve over time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Watched Ted Nugent's show on RAV. Had Kyle Rittenhouse on on as a guest.  He went over the video of Kyle being attacked with him.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Watched Ted Nugent's show on RAV. Had Kyle Rittenhouseon on as a guest.  He went over the video of Kyle being attacked with him.

Ted carries much weight with voters.  Especially centrists and independents.  Ted who?  But they know who Rittenhousen is...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ted-nugent-who-once-dismissed-covid-19-tells-fans-he-n1264648

Edited by redtail hawk

On 3/31/2023 at 12:18 PM, Chris farley said:

he did summarize it pretty well and has a way with words.

Clever sounding sentences dont make a clever person.  Here is IACP's statement from 2018.  Does it read like they are dedicated to protecting the gun rights of dumb patriots or they are clearly for logical gun control. 

https://www.theiacp.org/sites/default/files/2018-08/IACP Firearms Position Paper_2018.pdf

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

> IACP

lol, lmao

Criminal Use of Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons
First passed in 1994, the assault weapons ban required domestic gun manufacturers to stop
production of semi-automatic assault weapons and ammunition magazines holding more than ten
rounds except for military or police use. While the ban was in place, it was remarkably effective in
reducing the number of crimes involving assault weapons. In the period of the ban, (1994-2004) the
proportion of assault weapons traced to crimes fell by a dramatic 66 percent.
Semi-Automatic assault weapons are routinely the weapons of choice for gang members and drug
dealers. They are regularly encountered in drug busts and are all too often used against police officers.
The IACP has been a strong supporter of the assault weapons ban since 1992, and our membership has
approved several reauthorizations of support in the years since. The membership took this action
because we, as law enforcement executives, understand that the criminal use of semiautomatic assault
weapons pose a grave risk to our officers and the communities they are sworn to protect

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Criminal Use of Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons
First passed in 1994, the assault weapons ban required domestic gun manufacturers to stop
production of semi-automatic assault weapons and ammunition magazines holding more than ten
rounds except for military or police use. While the ban was in place, it was remarkably effective in
reducing the number of crimes involving assault weapons. In the period of the ban, (1994-2004) the
proportion of assault weapons traced to crimes fell by a dramatic 66 percent.
Semi-Automatic assault weapons are routinely the weapons of choice for gang members and drug
dealers. They are regularly encountered in drug busts and are all too often used against police officers.
The IACP has been a strong supporter of the assault weapons ban since 1992, and our membership has
approved several reauthorizations of support in the years since. The membership took this action
because we, as law enforcement executives, understand that the criminal use of semiautomatic assault
weapons pose a grave risk to our officers and the communities they are sworn to protect

By semi auto you mean semi auto handgun.  One that can be hidden. The  weapon of choice in ***** world.  Proven by the actual statistics 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillStime said:

Wait. What? Good guy w gun was busy?

she went to a different school that had visible security guards and instead went here. Every school should have visible cops.  We send endless amounts of money and guns to Ukraine but our schools need it tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

she went to a different school that had visible security guards and instead went here. Every school should have visible cops.  We send endless amounts of money and guns to Ukraine but our schools need it tomorrow. 

Or we just get rid of assault rifles and save our kids? 

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Red states are doing away with free lunch meals at schools - they’re going to pay for security? 

Make it federal. We send endless amount to support democracy overseas let’s do it here. Shooters are copy cat killers. Do this until they stop trying to do this

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Make it federal. We send endless amount to support democracy overseas let’s do it here. Shooters are copy cat killers. Do this until they stop trying to do this

Biden signed the Keep Kids Fed Act last year, Republicans still voted against the bill and red states sued the Biden administration because the act specifically said you cannot discriminate against LGTBQ students.

What a sick bunch of pigs you freaks vote for…