What is better, no guns, or more guns?

50 minutes ago, Figster said:

What points?

The high number of guns in the US is obvious.

I presented you with a list of points, each of which will make it very difficult to implement your ideas.

I examined your idea, and was considerate enough to think it through, and provide you with a list of very real challenges to it's implementation.

I now ask that you reciprocate, and address them, one by one.

People refusing to do what might be asked to help remedy the gun problem is an assumed point on your part.

That's not how this works.  You offered a logical fallacy (No True Scotsman) in place of an argument.

You've now doubled down with a bare assumption that there is a gun problem (I reject this), and imply that those who disagree on that front, and who disagree that you have the just authority to impose the confiscation/tracking you propose should not be considered law-abiding (I reject this as well).

American citizens enjoy the protection of a natural right to bear arms in order to defend their liberty from anyone who might seek to infringe it, be that other individuals or the government.  This right does not come from government.  It is rather completely intrinsic to humanity, and governments can only be legitimate if they propose to protect the natural rights of those individuals they propose to govern through just law.

A government which does not propose to protect those rights, but rather chooses to violate them on their own, is tyrannical, and therefore cannot be just or legitimate.

Further, the High Law of the land is the US Constitution.  There is no law which can be passed which invalidates or supersedes it.  As such, any law which regulated firearms in the way in which you propose would itself be illegal.

The law abiding citizens would be those to held fast to their weaponry, and fought back against your proposed tyranny.  The law breakers would be those violating the Constitution.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
Noting that I've seen your edit.
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

AR-15  type 

Don't want to hijack the discussion you are having with the other folks, but this question constantly pulls me in different directions. 

Why would I not want to buy an AR15, own it lawfully, learn to use it, and keep it for my own safety?  I see news stories constantly about extremists attacking ordinary citizens and the formula seems to be a whole 'lotta extremists--often in masks--attacking one overmatched citizen.  Add to that the challenge of leadership in cities like Baltimore and Portland advising the cops to stand by while the thumping occurs, as if the set-upon party is expendable.  Then, there is  the recent video of law enforcement personnel being doused with water or worse in NYC, and getting back to some our cities, the stand-down orders where violent pos are allowed to destroy personal property unmolested.  Now, we have leading political operatives revealing the names/addresses/employers of American citizens for the sole purpose of intimidation, exposing them to the same type of violent extremists who discussed themselves stabbing an American senator in the heart in his home, and filmed it like disciples of Charles Manson.

And that's where we are at....today. The threat to me personally is still relatively low, but certainly higher than it was 10 years ago.  At the same time...

The way I see it, the people have nothing to fear from me.  I'm mentally stable (mostly), I work for a living, I judge people on the content of their character, and present a threat to no one.  At the same time, the impression I'm getting is that I'm viewed as an enemy to many people for  the things I think and believe. I own property on a commercial strip not far from a good-sized city, worked hard to get it and harder still to keep it--and while I would hate to see it set ablaze by masked thugs, it's just property.  However, if it's set ablaze by masked thugs when it's occupied by my employees and myself, well, that is a whole 'nother story. 

I'd think in the scenarios outlined, 8 rounds is insufficient. What say you? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ALF said:

Do the right thing like New Zealand , outlaw assault rifles and destroy any out there. The police and law obeying citizens will be safer.

Nope.  Will be the largest ongoing mass casualty in history.

People will not give up their guns.  If you try to violate their rights by taking them there will be massive amounts of bloodshed.

The first time someone dies because some government agency comes for their guns, it will demonstrate the absolute necessity of having those guns to protect you from a tyrannical government.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Doing something for the sake of doing something is not a viable solution to any problem

If you are up to your nostrils in water, with your feet chained to the bottom of a well; pouring more water in would certainly be considered doing something.

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

So how would you solve this problem ?

Dunno, but I do know that you cannot un-invent the gun.  Confiscation of 300+ million firearms is a pipe dream, and a bloody one at that.  Prohibition on the sale of new firearms will fail and only create an underground market (see also the prohibition of alcohol in the 20s or current prohibition on illegal narcotics)