My open letter to you all

With everything that has transpired in the past 6 months with the Bills I thought about reposting my letter to you all to express how I feel about our team.

Here it is....

Like many others I’m sure, my father raised me as a Bills fan and it is one of the best things that has happened to me (besides the birth of my daughter and marrying my wife)

It is one of my fathers and mines closest bonds and still is to this day. Every day we talk about the Bills and what we think needs to be done with the team or the latest rumors we hear. I tell him that I get all my sources from this message board. You all are great. I rarely need to check Twitter or Google anything because I know that someone will have posted something on here first and it holds true 100% of the time. This board is truly amazing and I feel honored to be a member and fellow poster.

Looking back through all the years I have come to realize that many of many of my happiest memories come from the Bills. Especially going to the Ralph.

Being from Toronto and now living in Hamilton, we don’t get to experience the level of fun, excitement, and comradery that one experiences going to Bills games in Buffalo.

I always get to the stadium early around 8am, just to take everything in. I stop at the duty free where friendly nods are exchanged with other Canadians wearing Bills jersey’s and shakes of the head are exchanged at fellow stupid Canadians who are wearing the jersey of a team who isn’t even playing.

I pull in to the parking lot and as soon as I open my car door I am greeted with everything I have been looking forward to since I bought my tickets in the summer.

I see all my fellow Bills fans and just feel at home. I hear the sounds of chatter, laughter and sports radio talk as fans tailgate with their trunk open and the radio on. I get to see special moments happen in front of me such as a father tossing around the football with his son. I also am greeted with the wonderful smell of tailgating. Oh what a smell. It’s just too perfect. I always tell people who never have been to a Bills game in Buffalo that the game itself is just one part of the experience and that the hours before the game are just as special.

I have made the horrendous mistake of going to a Bills game in Toronto. After almost filing for bankruptcy(kidding) after paying the enormous ticket prices, the closest thing there was to tailgating was having a hot dog and a Coke outside of the Rogers Centre (yes us Canadians spell it Centre rather than Center lol)

I have been going to Bills games for the past 28 years and there has never been a time that I remember where I was made fun of for being Canadian. In fact, I sometimes get thanks for my countries strong beer lol

I just wanted to thank all of you for playing a part in some of my best memories and for being the main reason why Bills fans are among the most passionate and best fans in the world and for the great feeling that we are all part of one enormous family.

From your Canadian Bills Fan

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Gave in to the dark side of the force, you knob. :thumbsup: We hope you enjoyed the beer, oh, like I mean the game, eh. I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!" CBF@ at the new Duff's stand "Gimmie a toasted back bacon, hold the toast, you hoser, Jeez, two minutes for elbowing!" ;)

Nice letter.. I have never experienced the Toronto series live but I can't imagine it could be any better. I am no longer live in WNY but I go through the rituals like I am at the game (but watch the game off of the ticket). When I do get the chance to make it to the Ralph, like yourself, I sit back and absorb as much as I can. I just can't wait until my son is old enough so I can take him to a game and see the rituals (like the Shout song after every score) with other fans.

Thanks CBF.

Well said brother. Well said. With the exception of living in Canada I can pretty much relate to all of it.

It really is a pleasure having you here. Enjoying and celebrating some of the best moments and memories of our lives with this team. I, like you, holds love for the Bills higher than many things in life. My wife, my family, and my closest friends and my puppy are about the only things in life that I love more.

The season is almost here. Time to enjoy the game, the food, the tailgate and cold beer with each other. I can't wait until just a few weeks away when I'll be in Canton Ohio watching one of my all time greats grace the stage of the highest honor in football.

No, thank you, thank you for bringing to the forefront of what it's like to be and what there is to love being a Bills' fan. What I enjoyed about your post the most, other than just witnessing your pure love, passion and adulation for our favorite team, is that it was completely a positive experience being a Bills' fan. Too often we clamor towards the negatives of being a fan. I will say that it mostly comes from our worries and fears from not succeeding, which has been going on way too long. CBF, I can honestly say that you are one of the great additions to this fraternity that we all find ourselves in. I can't ever remember reading anything negative, derogatory or abusive in your posts and responses. For this I thank you and greatly appreciate it, you are a great example to immulate and your participation is not only welcomed but more so it's valued. Thanks again for reminding me why I have been such a loyal fan of this organization, it has given me an identity that is not only unique but also personal.

I, like you, live afar. You see I live in SW Florida for the past 20+ years. I actually live in Fort Myers, home of Sammy Watkins! How cool is that?!! Matter of fact the city of Fort Myers gave Sammy the key to the city last Friday night. The Mayor Randy Henderson happens to be a friend of mine, our sons are good friends and went through Little League and high school baseball together. I really wanted to go but as of now I got bronchitis and thought better of it. I bring this all up because I was thinking of all you. I had a perfect opportunity and it slipped through my hands. My point is this, it had greater value to me because I couldn't wait to share it with all of you. I know what it would have meant to so many of you, hearing an experience with our exciting new super star but I failed you. I feel worse about it because I let my fraternity brothers and sisters down, not so much about missing the experience personally.

I better cut this short, I'm doing this all by an IPhone and it's torture. I could go on and on but I probably already been long winded enough. Thanks again CBF for refreshing who I am. I look forward to an exciting and hopefully a very successful season this year but truth be told that no matter what happens I'll still be thinking about my Bills everyday, waiting for that long awaited moment when that Lombardi Trophy gets hoisted up there in Western New York!

Go Bills!

No, thank you, thank you for bringing to the forefront of what it's like to be and what there is to love being a Bills' fan. What I enjoyed about your post the most, other than just witnessing your pure love, passion and adulation for our favorite team, is that it was completely a positive experience being a Bills' fan. Too often we clamor towards the negatives of being a fan. I will say that it mostly comes from our worries and fears from not succeeding, which has been going on way too long. CBF, I can honestly say that you are one of the great additions to this fraternity that we all find ourselves in. I can't ever remember reading anything negative, derogatory or abusive in your posts and responses. For this I thank you and greatly appreciate it, you are a great example to immulate and your participation is not only welcomed but more so it's valued. Thanks again for reminding me why I have been such a loyal fan of this organization, it has given me an identity that is not only unique but also personal.

I, like you, live afar. You see I live in SW Florida for the past 20+ years. I actually live in Fort Myers, home of Sammy Watkins! How cool is that?!! Matter of fact the city of Fort Myers gave Sammy the key to the city last Friday night. The Mayor Randy Henderson happens to be a friend of mine, our sons are good friends and went through Little League and high school baseball together. I really wanted to go but as of now I got bronchitis and thought better of it. I bring this all up because I was thinking of all you. I had a perfect opportunity and it slipped through my hands. My point is this, it had greater value to me because I couldn't wait to share it with all of you. I know what it would have meant to so many of you, hearing an experience with our exciting new super star but I failed you. I feel worse about it because I let my fraternity brothers and sisters down, not so much about missing the experience personally.

I better cut this short, I'm doing this all by an IPhone and it's torture. I could go on and on but I probably already been long winded enough. Thanks again CBF for refreshing who I am. I look forward to an exciting and hopefully a very successful season this year but truth be told that no matter what happens I'll still be thinking about my Bills everyday, waiting for that long awaited moment when that Lombardi Trophy gets hoisted up there in Western New York!

Go Bills!

Wow.

Thank you so much my friend. I am humbled by your words

So, is this a suicide note?

Nope. More like you guys are awesome note!

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Nice write up CBF. I'm glad we have die-hard fans like you on the other side of the border. I hope this team continues to bring us happy memories for years to come and god help anyone who tries to take them from us

Great post CBF.

I envy you. While I grew up in Cheektowaga, I live on the West Coast now and rarely have an opportunity to see a Bills game in person. While you live across the border, you're closer to the Bills - in more ways than one - than I am.