LeBron James back to Cleveland

ALF

This move repairs his image more than anything else he can do, except get a title for Cleveland.

Only for people with a short memory. The guy has been a colossal a-hole since his 2nd season in the NBA and the only thing growing is his personal level of douchebaggery.

I think I might even dislike him more than I disliked John Rocker.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a Cavs fan, but Go Bucks. B-) His return helps the economy of the whole state of Ohio. The interview he did with SI to announce it was phenomenal and heartfelt, IMO, especially as someone who still feels the pull of my own rustbelt hometown. However, Clevelanders are already hanging championship banners and I think that is a bit premature. But I understand and appreciate their excitement.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

For Lebron's legacy to be anything but a disappointment, he needs more than one ring in Cleveland. He needs 3 at least, otherwise he's Wilt Chamberlain -- brilliant player who never won enough rings. Ring count is all that matters when it comes to NBA legacy.

3? Why not 2 or 4? It's arbitrary. And IMO, largely irrelevant in this instance. For a title-starved city like Cleveland, if the prodigal son that once jilted them and caused such scorn, leads them to even a single title, his lasting legacy will be marked by that accomplishment. The scribes are just itching to write that story; chomping at the bit. That would also put him one up on Wilt the Stilt in titles won. In any other case I would agree with your point about what cements an NBA legacy. This narrative is just different.

GO BILLS!!!

3? Why not 2 or 4? It's arbitrary. And IMO, largely irrelevant in this instance. For a title-starved city like Cleveland, if the prodigal son that once jilted them and caused such scorn, leads them to even a single title, his lasting legacy will be marked by that accomplishment. The scribes are just itching to write that story; chomping at the bit. That would also put him one up on Wilt the Stilt in titles won. In any other case I would agree with your point about what cements an NBA legacy. This narrative is just different.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. For Cleveland, I think they would be happy with 1. He may "need" more for his own LeBron vs. Jordan vs. Kobe legacy comparisons, but Cleveland fans just need 1 to be satisfied.

So, is Mike Williams our Lebron James? :bag:

Corey Graham :)

Lebron going back to Cleveland might be the best thing that could have happened to young Johnny Manziel.

If Johnny Stinkfinger approaches his pro career with a similar focus & work ethic that Lebron has, the Browns will be quite a factor in the coming years.

So you're saying if John Manziel somehow manages to become the best QB in the NFL, then pick a team that is willing to buy the other best players in the NFL to ensure multiple championships, that this could be the best thing that could have happened to him. Somehow, I'm not seeing that in the cards.

Edited by Gugny

Lebron going back to Cleveland might be the best thing that could have happened to young Johnny Manziel.

If Johnny Stinkfinger approaches his pro career with a similar focus & work ethic that Lebron has, the Browns will be quite a factor in the coming years.

There is a noticeable link to Manziel that is partly fueled by the media (ESPN may as well construct a 2nd headquarters in Cleveland)and partly fueled by them since they share a marketing team. They have been friends since before he was drafted. I think the presence of him here could help Manziel because I think James wouldn't hesitate to give him advice if it was warranted. But he can't help him out on the field, and I don't know if he can truly change Manziel's mindset or approach (or cares to). Right now we don't know if Manziel's approach will hurt his chances for success, but with the LeBron pairing it does seem like he has already been anointed as one half of the Kings of Cleveland.

BsSMKckIIAASKeX.jpg

Edited by YoloinOhio

HA!, No, not a title contender. Miami was stacked and got destroyed, absolutely humilated by the old Spurs.

I meant any team in the East can contend as conference champs..

The Cavs a playoff contender? Sure. The East is horrible.

However, LeBron's career will always be tied to the San Antonio Spurs dynasty and how they have systematically dismantled LBJ and his teams 2 out of the 3 times they've faced them in the Finals. He's only a Ray Allen shot away from being 0-3 against them.

Wow, you guys must really not follow basketball at all huh? The Heat beat the Spurs just one season prior and all of the sudden the Spurs were completely unbeatable by an intact Heat team? Come on. If they were able to add one more piece this year they would have been right back at it in the finals, while the Spurs have a pretty good chance of not making the finals in that conference. Spurs were really the only team that matched up well against the Heat to be able to do that to them. But those "old" guys would just be another year older next year.

Also, they didn't face the Spurs 3 times, the lost to the Dallas Mavericks the first year. Guess those Texan teams with hall of fame 7 footers can get confusing though.

Edit: Re-reading this I think you're referring to the Cavs v Spurs as the third. Sorry for the misread.

Edited by Mark80

Wow, you guys must really not follow basketball at all huh? The Heat beat the Spurs just one season prior and all of the sudden the Spurs were completely unbeatable by an intact Heat team? Come on.

Also, they didn't face the Spurs 3 times, the lost to the Dallas Mavericks the first year.

I think his point was that they were a Ray Allen 3-pointer away from being 0-3. Which really doesn't mean much. Game-winning shots are part of the equation and it's beyond nit-picking to make a case like that. The Heat are a legit 1-2 against the Spurs in the finals, no matter how you slice it. And you can't take anything away from James or the Heat because the better team beat them. The players know what the deal is, even if the media and fans want to make it about something else.

GO BILLS!!!

I think his point was that they were a Ray Allen 3-pointer away from being 0-3. Which really doesn't mean much. Game-winning shots are part of the equation and it's beyond nit-picking to make a case like that. The Heat are a legit 1-2 against the Spurs in the finals, no matter how you slice it. And you can't take anything away from James or the Heat because the better team beat them. The players know what the deal is, even if the media and fans want to make it about something else.

GO BILLS!!!

No, they only played the Spurs twice in the finals. They played the Mavs, then OKC, then the Spurs twice.

Edit: On second thought though, he could have been referring to the Cavs loss to the Spurs. In that case I apologize for calling him out.

Edited by Mark80

No, they only played the Spurs twice in the finals. They played the Mavs, then OKC, then the Spurs twice.

Edit: On second thought though, he could have been referring to the Cavs loss to the Spurs. In that case I apologize for calling him out.

I totally forgot about the Cavs/Spurs finals, so I completely screwed the pooch here. Pretty sure he was making the point that Lebron is a Ray Allen 3-pointer from being 0-3 vs. the Spurs. Still doesn't matter to me, though. I don't understand how you can separate the player from the teams he plays on. In my mind the Cavs are 0-1 vs. the Spurs, and the Heat is 1-1 vs. the Spurs. If somebody needs to say Lebron is 2-3 in NBA finals, so be it. But I remember 4 other guys on the floor with him at all times.

GO BILLS!!!

great, now the sports world can move onto the next unimportant sport topic

Seriously? One of the top 5 sports figures in the world chooses to go to a small market team (very similar to our market and city) and you call this an unimportant sport topic? Crazy. If he wins a Championship there, this will be part of one of the best, most intriguing sports stories of all time. If you don't like basketball that's fine, but let's not be so oblivious to the impact of this.

Wow, there's a lot of hate here. I encourage you to read LeBron's "essay" on si.com. Perhaps somebody wrote that for him, perhaps not, but the sentiments echoed certainly reflect a guy who has grown up and is trying to understand what's important in life. I'll have a hard time pulling against the guy from now on, and before this I couldn't have cared less.

As a Miami Heat fan, it sucks. But I'm actually more of a Lebron fan and him deciding to go back and given his reasons for returning, makes me a bigger fan of his.

BTW: Unless Dwyane Wade is following LBJ to Cleveland, he should be foaming at the mouth for opting out of a guaranteed $42 million.

. If they were able to add one more piece this year they would have been right back at it in the finals, while the Spurs have a pretty good chance of not making the finals in that conference. .

Huh?

If who added one more piece? And what finals did the Spurs have a good chance of not making in to?

This, I don't follow.