Had to put my dog down this weekend.

Gordio

I know I mentioned it a few weeks ago when another poster had to put their dog down that my dog's time was coming to an end but I had to put my dog down this weekend. She was diagnosed with bladder cancer awhile ago & it progressively got worse the last 10 days or so. She couldn't go to the bathroom the last few days & it looked like she was in quite a bit of pain. Our Vet told me it was definately the right thing to do. I actually drove her in to be put down about a month ago but sat in my car with her for about an hour in the Vet parking & drove home. Just could not bring myself to do it. This wekend was different. I just knew it was time. We got her when my wife & I first got married 14 years ago. She was the most docile friendly dog I have ever seen. All she ever wanted in life was to have someone to snuggle with. A true lap dog indeed. Our Vet often commented that this was the most friendly pommeranian he has ever seen. He said he usually dreads the appointments with poms but he said he really looked forward when Maisy was on the schedulle becasue she was so friendly. He said often times Poms could be a bit nippy & standoffish to people they don't know. When my wife was pregnant with our first child 10 years ago she had a rough pregnancy & was put on bed rest for the last 4 months. That dog would stay by her side in bed the whole day & would only come down to go to the bathroom. It got to the point where I would put her dog bowls right by our bed for those last few months. When my son got sick when he was 2 years old & had namonia Maisy never left his room until he got better. It is kind of weired & the house feels a bit empty now. I have woken up the last 2 nights thinking I was hearing Maisy walking down the hall that leads to our bedroom. I am sure it will get better over time. She was a very special dog.

Edited by Gordio

One of the tougher things in life for animal lovers...been through it a few times including a 6 month old puppy...I remember them all and have the memories....you will find peace and when the time is right you will find another to love....Take care....

But remember, and I hope it brings you some solace: death isn't tragedy. It sounds like you had long wonderful years together, a wonderful success. Still, I feel your pain and wish you luck adjusting to your new normal rhythms.

Sorry for your loss. We had to put our 18 year old dog down a year ago and we think about her daily.

You had a great 14 year time frame and your memories will live with you for a very long time.

Really sorry to hear that, Gordio. Yeah, that was me that posted that about a month and a half ago. Our dog was 15 and had bladder cancer as well. It got to the point where she was peeing all the time, and only a little bit each time. Finally she started to leak, and we knew it was time. It was really hard because other than having to pee a lot, she was otherwise doing great for a 15-year-old.

I've definitely had that incredibly empty feeling over the past few weeks, and there are times my wife and I think we see or hear her. When you have a dog that is such a big part of your life every day for years and years, it's going to leave a big empty hole.

I did find some solace in reading this book by Jon Katz. He has an interesting perspective on pets and the process of life and death with animals. It's short, and has a few good passages that I thought helped. Worth a quick read, I think.

It's getting better, but it will take some time.

Very sorry to hear that, Gordio. But it sounds like you gave her a long and happy life, and she more than returned the favor. You did the right (albeit difficult) thing by her, and she can rest easy now. Good girl, Maisy.

Edited by DrDareustein