Best Actor/Actress Of All Time?

I'm surprised there was no love for Gene Wilder. So let me toss out two other wild cards who I think deserve some honest recognition:

Woody Harrelson--his range is so narrow it's actually unfathomably wide. A lot of nuance in his chops, IMO.

Charlie Sheen--in spite of his maniacal escapades of late, he was a pretty brilliant comedic actor in his day. Not bad at the serious stuff, either.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised there was no love for Gene Wilder. So let me toss out two other wild cards who I think deserve some honest recognition:

Woody Harrelson--his range is so narrow it's actually unfathomably wide. A lot of nuance in his chops, IMO.

Charlie Sheen--in spite of his maniacal escapades of late, he was a pretty brilliant comedic actor in his day. Not bad at the serious stuff, either.

Mentioned him earlier as a "when did he become such a great actor" referencing his performance on True Detective. But looking back at him, he's been good for quite a while. Greatest ever, hell no, but damn good, hell yes.

Mentioned him earlier as a "when did he become such a great actor" referencing his performance on True Detective. But looking back at him, he's been good for quite a while. Greatest ever, hell no, but damn good, hell yes.

I think his subsequent performances have really validated his lunk-headed straight man character on Cheers. That aint as easy to pull off as he made it seem.

And "greatest ever" no. Of course not.

If we're going by metrics alone, not least of which is batting average, I challenge anyone to come up with a more decorated actor than D.D Lewis.

Agree on Spacey & Moore.

I'm not as big a fan of DiCaprio as others are.

Watson does have a bright future, but it is a bit early for best ever. Otherwise I'd have added Chloe Grace Moretz.

Would it be too early to add Jennifer Lawrence? I think I could safely add Amy Adams.

Right up to this last year my daugher was managed by the same management company as Chloe Moretz brother.....

She is great

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Humphrey Bogart or Henry Fonda. Both fantastic in whatever they're in.

EDIT: I just saw Fonda mentioned.

Other greats: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Buster Keaton, Clint Eastwood, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leo DiCaprio, Michael Caine, Jimmy Stewart.

I was going to say Bogey and Bacall... But I didn't want that song going through my head. Thanks.

;-)

If you were going to make a Mt Rushmore of actors, one would have to be Meryl Streep - hands down. Second would have to be Sir Laurence Olivier. Now it gets hard. Tight race between Marlon Brando and Daniel Day-Lewis. (I know - I've mentioned 4 right there) Then, a whole host of others - Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Charlie Chapman, Tom Hanks, many others that have been mentioned previously. I haven't seen Harrison Ford mentioned.

Actor: Brando for sure

Actress: this a tough one. Technically I guess Streep, but its not like I see a movie just because she's in it. But I will say an under rated one is Cher.

That's how I feel about Streep. I think she gets far more credit than she really deserves. She is talented, but she's not enough to get me excited to see a movie just because she's in it. I also think that all the numerous Oscar nomination she's gotten are a bit ridiculous. Sorry, I just don't get the love for her.

If you were going to make a Mt Rushmore of actors, one would have to be Meryl Streep - hands down. Second would have to be Sir Laurence Olivier. Now it gets hard. Tight race between Marlon Brando and Daniel Day-Lewis. (I know - I've mentioned 4 right there) Then, a whole host of others - Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Charlie Chapman, Tom Hanks, many others that have been mentioned previously. I haven't seen Harrison Ford mentioned.

There's probably a reason for that.

John Cazale...He was in very few films, but he was fantastic in all of them.

Meryl Streep.

I like both of these choices and the funny thing was that they were a couple - Streep threatened to exit The Deer Hunter if they dumped Cazale due to his diagnosis (fun fact - every full length movie in which John Cazale appeared was nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award).

I'd also vote for Daniel Day Lewis and Annette Bening - I love a lot of the work they've done in the movies I've seen.

That's how I feel about Streep. I think she gets far more credit than she really deserves. She is talented, but she's not enough to get me excited to see a movie just because she's in it. I also think that all the numerous Oscar nomination she's gotten are a bit ridiculous. Sorry, I just don't get the love for her.

I agree. I think it's partly due to her being talented enough to succeed without much in the way of looks, and also one of those things that just gets repeated so often that everyone just accepts it. Kind of like ca. 2000 when Susan Sarandon was the consensus greatest female actress.

I agree. I think it's partly due to her being talented enough to succeed without much in the way of looks, and also one of those things that just gets repeated so often that everyone just accepts it. Kind of like ca. 2000 when Susan Sarandon was the consensus greatest female actress.

Well said.

Gene Hackman. Good call.

Dennis Hopper get some love?

I'm going to make my case for Sasha Grey since no one else is on the bandwagon. First, theres almost no scripted lines in her films which requires her to ad lib most of the dialogue and guttural noises. Not since Tom Hardy's portrayal of Bane have I ever seen an actor so adept at communicating emotions relying mainly on the use of their eyes with their mouth obscured or otherwise occupied. And lastly, shes got range that would make Johnny Depp jealous. She plays school girls, nurses, cheer leaders, cops, you name it. No part is too big or too wide!

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Humphrey Bogart or Henry Fonda. Both fantastic in whatever they're in.

EDIT: I just saw Fonda mentioned.

Other greats: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Buster Keaton, Clint Eastwood, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Daniel Day-Lewis, Leo DiCaprio, Michael Caine, Jimmy Stewart.

Good call on My Cocaine.