Rd7 Pick #237 OT Seantrel Henderson U of Miami

Need to get him out of Miami and see if you bring him Buffalo and surround him with quality people on the team (Cordy Glenn, Eric Woods, Fred Jackson and EJ Manuel) and coaches that his attitude gets better. Some young guys float through life like a wayward leaf. They will catch with a group that will do them no good. Hope he gets his act together, for him as a human and he starts to make good decisions. I think he has a chance to contribute and be a success. This all hinges on what Seantrel Henderson wants.

What you're saying seems like a reasonable expectation. The guys what? 22 years old. I don't know squat about his upbringing or background or his experiences at Miami but there are a lot of 22 year old guys out there making stupid decisions. Most of them figure it out at some point. If everybody that made a mistake didn't get a second chance at things we'd run out of people pretty quick. So I'm willing to cut this guy some slack until he becomes a problem here. Maybe this kid will pull it together given a change of scenery and adopting a different perspective on life that being in college just doesn't give you. He's at the pro level now where talent alone won't cut it without a high level of effort and motivation. And having to work for a living has a way of changing your outlook real fast.

Here's what draft insider had to say about Henderson. In general the player assessments on that site are pretty good:

Positive: Two-year starter at right tackle. Suspended three times at Miami for violating team rules. Suffered back issues in the past. Massive lineman who flashes the ability to dominate opponents. Strong, explosive at the point, and easily drives defenders off the line. Athletic, adjusts to oncoming defenders, and knocks them from their angle of attack on the blitz. Possesses big, powerful hands and jolts opponents with violent punch. Effective when he bends his knees. Quick into blocks and flashes the ability to slide out in pass protection.

Negative: Lacks balance and struggles finishing blocks. Gets tall as the play proceeds. Indecisive and does not show great awareness. Has made a lot of questionable decisions off the field.

Analysis: Henderson looks the part and occasionally plays to it but really has not maintained the high level of consistency scouts thought possible. Underachieving on the field while showing immaturity off it, Henderson possesses the size and skill to start at the next level if the light ever goes on.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing some people close to the Hurricane program, I can say that Seantrel is a decent kid. He is like a lot of kids that age. If he wakes up (and I hope he does), he certainly has the tools and ability to be a very good offensive linemen -- either at right tackle or guard.

I hope he succeeds, both for his sake and the Bills . . . BUT, does an endorsement by anyone close the the Hurricane program have any credibility ????

Is weed the only item he failed on testing? Is the NFL now considering lowering the testing on weed? Does this make the selection less risky?

The problem isn't the weed (it appears to be his sedative of choice), it's the decision making . . . you're at the biggest tryout of your life (which by the way, he has probably never had to tryout for anything in his life—with his size and talent), and you choose to deal with the nerves and stress by smoking something—he didn't seem to consider that he would be caught with the drug test, surely the NFL had to tell these guys they would be tested?

Its the equivalent of a Business person having a few drinks before the big interview to settle themselves. Nonetheless, it shows his lack of mental and emotional maturity, his lack of normal cognitive and copping skills. There is every indication that this kid needs help—not just for football, but for normal life skills.

Again, I hope he (and the Bills) can surround him with people that will help him grow emotionally, and hold him to the highest accountability.

Edited by CSBill

What you're saying seems like a reasonable expectation. The guys what? 22 years old. I don't know squat about his upbringing or background or his experiences at Miami but there are a lot of 22 year old guys out there making stupid decisions. Most of them figure it out at some point. If everybody that made a mistake didn't get a second chance at things we'd run out of people pretty quick. So I'm willing to cut this guy some slack until he becomes a problem here. Maybe this kid will pull it together given a change of scenery and adopting a different perspective on life that being in college just doesn't give you. He's at the pro level now where talent alone won't cut it without a high level of effort and motivation. And having to work for a living has a way of changing your outlook real fast.

Here's what draft insider had to say about Henderson. In general the player assessments on that site are pretty good:

Positive: Two-year starter at right tackle. Suspended three times at Miami for violating team rules. Suffered back issues in the past. Massive lineman who flashes the ability to dominate opponents. Strong, explosive at the point, and easily drives defenders off the line. Athletic, adjusts to oncoming defenders, and knocks them from their angle of attack on the blitz. Possesses big, powerful hands and jolts opponents with violent punch. Effective when he bends his knees. Quick into blocks and flashes the ability to slide out in pass protection.

Negative: Lacks balance and struggles finishing blocks. Gets tall as the play proceeds. Indecisive and does not show great awareness. Has made a lot of questionable decisions off the field.

Analysis: Henderson looks the part and occasionally plays to it but really has not maintained the high level of consistency scouts thought possible. Underachieving on the field while showing immaturity off it, Henderson possesses the size and skill to start at the next level if the light ever goes on.

It's ironic that "Suspended three times at Miami for violating team rules. Suffered back issues in the past." are listed under positives

I hope he succeeds, both for his sake and the Bills . . . BUT, does an endorsement by anyone close the the Hurricane program have any credibility ????

The problem isn't the weed (it appears to be his sedative of choice), it's the decision making . . . you're at the biggest tryout of your life (which by the way, he has probably never had to tryout for anything in his life—with his size and talent), and you choose to deal with the nerves and stress by smoking something—he didn't seem to consider that he would be caught with the drug test, surely the NFL had to tell these guys they would be tested?

Its the equivalent of a Business person having a few drinks before the big interview to settle themselves. Nonetheless, it shows his lack of mental and emotional maturity, his lack of normal cognitive and copping skills. There is every indication that this kid needs help—not just for football, but for normal life skills.

Again, I hope he (and the Bills) can surround him with people that will help him grow emotionally, and hold him to the highest accountability.

It is NOT the equivalent of someone having few drinks at an interview - he did not show up stoned at the combine. Its more the equivalent of a person having a drink a few WEEKS before an interview and being tested for it.

I agree its dumb not to hold off - but your comparison is poor.

The fact that marijuana may no longer be tested (or tested much lower) could bode very well to this 'risk'.

Whats really dumb is the NFL even testing for weed at all. Its legal in multiple states, it gives the player no competitive advantage over another, it only gives the NFL a black eye when headline reads star players fail drug test and now it can have the NFL lose the services of a star WR like in Cleveland - over what???? It creates a lose/lose situation

It is NOT the equivalent of someone having few drinks at an interview - he did not show up stoned at the combine. Its more the equivalent of a person having a drink a few WEEKS before an interview and being tested for it.

I agree its dumb not to hold off - but your comparison is poor.

The fact that marijuana may no longer be tested (or tested much lower) could bode very well to this 'risk'.

Whats really dumb is the NFL even testing for weed at all. Its legal in multiple states, it gives the player no competitive advantage over another, it only gives the NFL a black eye when headline reads star players fail drug test and now it can have the NFL lose the services of a star WR like in Cleveland - over what???? It creates a lose/lose situation

Re: Henderson, I'm all in favor of giving this kid a chance and hoping that working with some NFL Vets and a good coaching staff will help him turn things around and that he can really help the BILLS dominate the line of scrimmage at some point in his career. However, for me it's not really that he used marijuana that concerns me, it's that he used marijuana despite issues with it in the past and knowing the Combine is coming up and testing is standard, this is closer to being an addict. Not in the negative sense of the word, but in the clinical sense of the word. When someone uses a drug knowing there are potentially negative ramifications and carelessly or recklessly use the drug, whatever that drug may be, that demonstrates an inability to abstain. This, fits the generally accepted notion of an addict, continuing with addictive behavior in light of potential consequences. Now, a change of scenery and having a different set of influences around him may, and I hope, make all the difference, but the larger issue - he just needs some help to deal with any addiction related concerns. All of this is what concerns me at Josh Gordon, it's not the marijuana, it's that he's unable to remain sober despite so much at stake for himself and the team.

Re: Henderson, I'm all in favor of giving this kid a chance and hoping that working with some NFL Vets and a good coaching staff will help him turn things around and that he can really help the BILLS dominate the line of scrimmage at some point in his career. However, for me it's not really that he used marijuana that concerns me, it's that he used marijuana despite issues with it in the past and knowing the Combine is coming up and testing is standard, this is closer to being an addict. Not in the negative sense of the word, but in the clinical sense of the word. When someone uses a drug knowing there are potentially negative ramifications and carelessly or recklessly use the drug, whatever that drug may be, that demonstrates an inability to abstain. This, fits the generally accepted notion of an addict, continuing with addictive behavior in light of potential consequences. Now, a change of scenery and having a different set of influences around him may, and I hope, make all the difference, but the larger issue - he just needs some help to deal with any addiction related concerns. All of this is what concerns me at Josh Gordon, it's not the marijuana, it's that he's unable to remain sober despite so much at stake for himself and the team.

More than likely there were many players who smoked in the 30 day period prior but had different ways of hiding it from the test - addiction to marijuana? Kids think they can 'get around' things....Are you really worried he might be smoking at home days before a game?

Either he can play or not - if his addiction impacts his play where he no longer can do the job then he gets cut/fired - why the need to test????

More than likely there were many players who smoked in the 30 day period prior but had different ways of hiding it from the test - addiction to marijuana? Kids think they can 'get around' things....Are you really worried he might be smoking at home days before a game?

Either he can play or not - if his addiction impacts his play where he no longer can do the job then he gets cut/fired - why the need to test????

First, the issue with Henderson is that it isn't his first marijuana related issue while in college, so it's a continuation of a persistent problem. Second, yes, I work in a field that has seen an "addiction" to marijuana, although less frequent than the other more potent drugs, it is possible, regardless of what popular media may tell you. Lastly, I also went on to provide a clinical sense of the definition of "addiciton" and not necessarily the biological one, in that an inability to remain sober despite potentially serious consequences is a strong indicator of an addiction or substance abuse issue. The type of definition is used in treatment centers accross New York State, as for other states I don't know with certainty so I can't speak with any authority on their diagnoses parameters. And, to the extent of being concerned about a human being, and not just treating him as a piece of property or employee, yes, I would be concerned about this addiciton regardless of his playing status, and the test indicates the level of his use. The nanogram level can point to frequent, occassional, or long-term abuse....so the test is necessary and is an assessment tool related to needed treatment.

First, the issue with Henderson is that it isn't his first marijuana related issue while in college, so it's a continuation of a persistent problem. Second, yes, I work in a field that has seen an "addiction" to marijuana, although less frequent than the other more potent drugs, it is possible, regardless of what popular media may tell you. Lastly, I also went on to provide a clinical sense of the definition of "addiciton" and not necessarily the biological one, in that an inability to remain sober despite potentially serious consequences is a strong indicator of an addiction or substance abuse issue. The type of definition is used in treatment centers accross New York State, as for other states I don't know with certainty so I can't speak with any authority on their diagnoses parameters. And, to the extent of being concerned about a human being, and not just treating him as a piece of property or employee, yes, I would be concerned about this addiciton regardless of his playing status, and the test indicates the level of his use. The nanogram level can point to frequent, occassional, or long-term abuse....so the test is necessary and is an assessment tool related to needed treatment.

Why is it ANY concern of yours if a citizen smokes weed or drinks a beer in their own home ??? You are worried about their addiction??? its not an 8 yr old child -its not our concern or worry - NONE!

Why is it ANY concern of yours if a citizen smokes weed or drinks a beer in their own home ??? You are worried about their addiction??? its not an 8 yr old child -its not our concern or worry - NONE!

Well, that's where we diverge on opinion although I believe you are merely reading too much into what I said, when I stated, "...being concerned about a human being, and not just treating him (Henderson) as a piece of property or employee, yes, I would be concerned about his addiction regardless of his playing status"...as in, the welfare of all people "concerns" me, in that I don't want to see anyone journey down a path of self-destruction...not to say that marijuana use / abuse would necessarily lead to that, but in Henderson's case, depending on how the NFL mitigates the positive drug screens in the future, would in fact be a demise of his professional capability....you're taking this too far when it comes to "my concern", not that I'm entitled to know or have any influence on another person's choices, unless they impact me directly, but that I have a larger "concern" about all mankind and the people we share the world with....in other words, right now, I'm concerned about the people of the Ukraine and how that impacts global politics, I'm concerned about the girls being sold into slavery in Nigeria, I'm concerned about the countless homes that have been lost to wildfires...not because it's any of "my concern" but because I think that as a human being, I simply want all people to live peacefully, among each other without war, violence, constant suppression of justice and human rights....so, by extension, specifically Mr. Henderson, I would be concerned about his overall well-being...not that I'm "owed" any explanation...does that make sense? Have I clarified it enough? I hope so, because by your last statement you seem to have taken an antagonistic tone to this discussion, when my intent is the antithesis to that: genuine concern for the man, the person of Mr. Henderson, and not just the player and not because it is of "my concern", but because I would hate to see anyone lose their livelihood for something entirely avoidable if he gets help for it....that's it, that's all...if you take umbrage with my statements, then all I can say is, I have nothing but sympathy for you, as a man or person...

Adam Schefter discussed Henderson's failed drug test(s) in this ESPN clip sometime between the combine and the Draft--- he also added these comments:

"Recruiting analysts thought that he was a mix between some of the great offensive tackles that ever played the game, like: Orlando Pace...

...when you watch him play, he's an elite talent--- but there are questions about his decisions and his judgement.

...there are players that have tested positive at the combine...

...People close to him, people that know him swear by him--- they say that he's a good kid."

I am going to go with this one

Thanks for the post Punch

edit and by the way Big Buff i am glad there are people like you .

some folks need to pull up their own boot straps and some need a little help.

Judging which is which is a fine line. But being able to offer the assist, after recognzing a need, goes long way in my book .

well done

Edited by 3rdand12