Rd7 Pick #237 OT Seantrel Henderson U of Miami

here are MMQB.coms thoughts:

"

Bills: OT Seantrel Henderson (seventh round)

I don’t care if he was a seventh-round pick. And I don’t care that if you drew a picture of a franchise left tackle, this 6-7, 331-pound athlete with sweet feet would be it. Henderson has been nothing but trouble since being one of the top high school recruits in the country. Multiple failed drug tests during college at Miami and then, again, reportedly during the scouting combine. Henderson couldn’t even finish his pro day workout. And on the field, he’s not even good. Henderson didn’t come close to earning the privilege of hearing his name called during the draft. He should have been undrafted. That’s what he earned."

If this quote was from Peter King, I might ponder it a bit. But Greg A. Bedard?

Um.....no.

Pick #237 is exactly the place you take a guy like this...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this quote was from Peter King, I might ponder it a bit. But Greg A. Bedard?

Um.....no.

At first I did, I saw it on twitter from King and went with it....

I agree this is the best place to grab a player like this. Hell even Mayock said the kid could have been in the first if he didn't have a 1/2 cent head...

Yeah. Because if he becomes a free agent he gets scooped up by freaking Bill Belichick and he becomes an 8 time pro bowler. Edited by sodbuster

Yeah. Because if he becomes a free agent he gets scooped up by freaking Bill Belichick and he becomes an 8 time pro bowler.

Doubtful, now that Dante Scarnecchia has retired. Which is a huge loss.

He sounds like an idiot who is pissing away a lot of talent. Still, it's a godo risk. I'd just have a very short leash. But I'm so not looking forward to the 100 pages threads if we cut him about how the Bills were wrong not to baby a 7th round pick. :(

kind of bad timing to pick this kid in the wake of the whole dareus situation IMHO. And you shouldn't have to babysit a grown man, but i guess htey might have too.

The difference is Dareus is the #3 overall pick and has been to a pro bowl. This dude wasn't that good in college. They will have no patience for him. Then if he gets cut, there will be 100 page thread on how it was a giant mistake to cut him because he's "talented." :)

Great pick. Prototypical OT talent. If he gets his act together (and we should offer some help) he can dominate.

I'd much rather take a flyer on a guy who at least has the physical attributes to excel at his position, than a stable guy who whose upside is capped due to a lack of physical attributes.

Finally we have a coaching staff that "gets it"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The difference is Dareus is the #3 overall pick and has been to a pro bowl. This dude wasn't that good in college. They will have no patience for him. Then if he gets cut, there will be 100 page thread on how it was a giant mistake to cut him because he's "talented." :)

Another epic DaRick-like thread in the making?

GO BILLS!!!

Da'Rick had issues, but produced on the field. Henderson hasn't. I doubt anyone complains or is surprised if he gets cut.

What I find amusing are people on this board who will say, "Take a 7th round flier on the kid and see if he can get it together with some motivation and professional help, and maybe getting out of Florida will do him some good. Worth a chance" and then the other half who say things like, "The BILLS are pathetic! They give this assh*le a chance, I don't care that it's the last pick of their Draft in the 7th Round! Losers!"....sometimes, often - ok, no, DAILY - this board is bi-polar and manic....so often I see people crucifying DW for making a trade and Drafting guys who fit both a need an are rated highly on their board (according to them of course) and then complain that the BILLS "do nothing to win"???? Or blame Whaley for something last year while not giving him credit for this year?? Honestly, I know we're all passionate about the BILLS and we all have our opinions on how to get this team winning, but it can't be unjustified prejuidice to simply believe something without reason if we're to have an honest discussion related to the BILLS and their improvement....to be fair, I like this move...it's exactly the kind of thing a "forward thinking, progressive" team does, they get the talent and then work with the man as a person to help him overcome some of the challenges he's faced...I'm not excusing his behavior, but there are always reasons and causes for things like repeated drug use...counseling and a strong leader might very well help this young man and a change of scenery might do him some good too....either way, I'd rather Draft this kid in the 7th Round over a kicker...

Adam Schefter discussed Henderson's failed drug test(s) in this ESPN clip sometime between the combine and the Draft--- he also added these comments:

"Recruiting analysts thought that he was a mix between some of the great offensive tackles that ever played the game, like: Orlando Pace...

...when you watch him play, he's an elite talent--- but there are questions about his decisions and his judgement.

...there are players that have tested positive at the combine...

...People close to him, people that know him swear by him--- they say that he's a good kid."

Adam Schefter discussed Henderson's failed drug test(s) in this ESPN clip sometime between the combine and the Draft--- he also added these comments:

"Recruiting analysts thought that he was a mix between some of the great offensive tackles that ever played the game, like: Orlando Pace...

...when you watch him play, he's an elite talent--- but there are questions about his decisions and his judgement.

...there are players that have tested positive at the combine...

...People close to him, people that know him swear by him--- they say that he's a good kid."

Knowing some people close to the Hurricane program, I can say that Seantrel is a decent kid. He is like a lot of kids that age. If he wakes up (and I hope he does), he certainly has the tools and ability to be a very good offensive linemen -- either at right tackle or guard.

Need to get him out of Miami and see if you bring him Buffalo and surround him with quality people on the team (Cordy Glenn, Eric Woods, Fred Jackson and EJ Manuel) and coaches that his attitude gets better. Some young guys float through life like a wayward leaf. They will catch with a group that will do them no good. Hope he gets his act together, for him as a human and he starts to make good decisions. I think he has a chance to contribute and be a success. This all hinges on what Seantrel Henderson wants.

Besides Burfect a couple years ago, when has a player ever fallen far in the draft that had off field issues AND below average play on the field that suddenly figures it out and becomes relevant on the NFL level? When players fall because of issues off the field and then have good NFL careers, they were pretty much always top performers in the college ranks. Honeybadger, Moss, Lewis, etc. I don't see anything in Seantrell that makes me think he can do anything at a high college level, much less the NFL. He won't make the squad.

Is weed the only item he failed on testing? Is the NFL now considering lowering the testing on weed? Does this make the selection less risky?

Not really much risk being that he's a 7th rounder. But yes.