Vince Young officially retires

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's o bad that when a player get's a bad rap they don't get a REAL second chance …

2 players recently have the same plight (?) Vince Young is one that once he left the Titans he was never given another legit chance to learn the offense enough to get a command of it any where he went especially when he was in B/Lo .

I for one was hoping when he came that Chan would have kept him around long enough that he could have learned the offense inside & out & given Chans ability to work with guys like Fitz & make him look good could have made Vince a better QB .

What really would have been good was if he (Chan) the mad scientist of offense could have taken Fitz brain & put it in Young's body WOW ! What a combo that would have been ...

The other is (here we go ) TEABOW he was shafted !! Never given a true chance ! All's he did in Denver was win .

You always here the "experts" talk about how teams need to cater to a young QB's strengths & build the offense around the guy yet Teabow was never afforded that luxury & will probably be made to retire or give up on his dream & never see just what kind of player he could have been if a team would have gotten behind him & given him a second chance out side of the Broncos ...

I think he tweaked something neural at some point . something you cant rehab to 100% from.

Was Fisher really that rough on him ? Honest question

Qb is a tough position when your head coach wants you. I imagine when it feels like he doesn't have your back it's incredibly hard to succeed.

Qb is a tough position when your head coach wants you. I imagine when it feels like he doesn't have your back it's incredibly hard to succeed.

I dont know any of the story . i would like to here folks perspective on that . the Fisher Young thing.

I cant imagine being a QB at all. I got enough troubles already brother !

I dont know any of the story . i would like to here folks perspective on that . the Fisher Young thing.

I cant imagine being a QB at all. I got enough troubles already brother !

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jeff-fisher-vince-young-tennessee-titans-cruel-game-112910

I don't like Whitlock too much but it popped up at the top of a google search on the topic. I also recall a weird comment deep into youngs career that he and fisher had never had dinner together or something along those lines.

The head coach and franchise qb have to be on the same page - or atleast have a deep understanding of each other. These two flat didnt like each other. I don't think there's a right side to be on in this one.... Both sides needed to handle things better, even if the owner put them in a bad spot forcing them together.

Edited by NoSaint

The kid played well in his first 5 years in Tennessee. His conflict with Jeff Fisher, his immaturity, pressure from family and friends all under cut his on field success. He had talent to play but the mental and emotional aspects escaped him. I wish him well. Wasted talent is depressing.

http://msn.foxsports...uel-game-112910

I don't like Whitlock too much but it popped up at the top of a google search on the topic. I also recall a weird comment deep into youngs career that he and fisher had never had dinner together or something along those lines.

The head coach and franchise qb have to be on the same page - or atleast have a deep understanding of each other. These two flat didnt like each other. I don't think there's a right side to be on in this one.... Both sides needed to handle things better, even if the owner put them in a bad spot forcing them together.

Thanks .

I would imagine that especially today with fans short attention span and need to win now mentality that pervades, the Rookie QB is the hardest position to learn and a number of things need to be in place for success.

Thanks .

I would imagine that especially today with fans short attention span and need to win now mentality that pervades, the Rookie QB is the hardest position to learn and a number of things need to be in place for success.

So true

http://msn.foxsports...uel-game-112910

What always stood out to me, as Whitlock points out, when Young had his melt-down with Fisher, he has started 9 games for the Titans that year, and was having, by far, his best year as a pro. His QB rating was 16 pts higher than his previous high. My memory is a little hazy now, but I remember that there was a lot of speculation at that time that not all of the Titans players were on Fishier's side in this dispute with Young, and there was a feeling that Fisher was trying to get fired. Apparently, Fisher resented Vince Young, from day one, as he never wanted the Titans to draft him. The previous season (2009) Young was put on IR, with a relatively minor injory.

What always stood out to me, as Whitlock points out, when Young had his melt-down with Fisher, he has started 9 games for the Titans that year, and was having, by far, his best year as a pro. His QB rating was 16 pts higher than his previous high. My memory is a little hazy now, but I remember that there was a lot of speculation at that time that not all of the Titans players were on Fishier's side in this dispute with Young, and there was a feeling that Fisher was trying to get fired. Apparently, Fisher resented Vince Young, from day one, as he never wanted the Titans to draft him. The previous season (2009) Young was put on IR, with a relatively minor injory.

yup - the whitlock article cites that his qb rating was a 98 and his TD to INT ratio was 10:3 but he got shelved for a thumb injury that he was comfortable waiting til January to get fixed. I have no idea how serious it really was, or if fisher was simply done with him (or both) but it was an odd situation all around. the only comparable i can think of is freeman in TB but that was atleast a different coach than drafted him and he wasnt playing well when it all went down. VY had them in the playoff hunt when he was shelved.

Edited by NoSaint

He's been given chances in multiple cities. I know I'll forget one or two, but here, Philly, and GB after TN.

He squandered his wealth, and now has to figure out how to be successful in life. I have no issue with him, he just blew it.

Fisher has a lot of patience, but he was sick of his temperamental, and immature nature.

"It's definitely official, I think... "

Box of rocks > VY

so is VY still broke? i remember reading that article about how he blew through 10's of millions of dollars pretty quickly. he can't be raking in too much loot being an assistant for Texas. maybe he can get a job at cheesecake factory to help pay for his $5,000 per week tab there

I don't hate the guy but never understood people's delusions about him. Dumb, self-centered and unable to read a defense doesn't go away with 'another chance'.

Backyard, run-around and chuck it up for grabs football doesn't work for very long in the NFL.

Unable to comprehend the pro level playbook. That's it in a nutshell. He was a better athlete than Ja-normous Russell, but not a good quarterback at all. In 5 years, many won't even remember his name..lol.

I don't hate the guy but never understood people's delusions about him. Dumb, self-centered and unable to read a defense doesn't go away with 'another chance'.

Backyard, run-around and chuck it up for grabs football doesn't work for very long in the NFL.

he's johnny football except he's a half a foot taller and more athletic. he pretty much single-handidly beat USC for the national title at the height of their college football dominance in one of the most amazing individual efforts i've ever seen. and he was rookie of the year and a 2 time pro bowler. he definitely had some talent. i think the thing with him was people stopped trusting him. if you are a coach do you want your job to be in the hands of a guy who is going to go off the deep end if he gets boo'ed at home? he was always such a question mark at a position where you need stability. he never became that franchise QB and team leader that people expected him to be. i had high hopes for him when the Bills signed him. but i guess he had trouble learning the plays and he never got comfortable in the offense. it's too bad, i think physically he has all of the tools but he wasn't able to keep it together mentally