• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one. Reminded me of another movie "Time Bandits"

For good reason.

---------

Mine: Overnight, After Hours

Edited by GG

A movie that came out in 2004, that I had never heard of until I happened upon it about a month ago, and was pleasantly surprised:

The Machinist

An Alfred Hitchcock style movie starring a severely thin Christian Bale.

Seriously?

That movie had major critical appraisal and numerous academy award nominations. Not even close to being a sleeper.

I didn't realize that. I am blissfully ignorant to American pop culture. I don't watch TV, and have seen very few films that past decade. Being John Malkovich was brilliant I thought, and dark. I am surprised to hear it got the acclaim it did. That closing scene is quite disturbing. And noone I know has ever seen it, so I thought it might of been a sleeper

I didn't realize that. I am blissfully ignorant to American pop culture. I don't watch TV, and have seen very few films that past decade. Being John Malkovich was brilliant I thought, and dark. I am surprised to hear it got the acclaim it did. That closing scene is quite disturbing. And noone I know has ever seen it, so I thought it might of been a sleeper

To be fair, BJM is praised and lauded by cinephiles more so than mainstream audiences. Critics loved it and raved, it won awards but it only drew $25 million domestic, 79th at the box office that year. Even though it won Kaufman a lot of cred, it is very much a sleeper movie for mainstream audiences. Movie junkies like some on this board wouldn't consider it a sleeper but I think it's probably safe for inclusion on this list.