2014 Bills OTAs Part 2 (June 3rd - June 5th)

I pay the most attention to Joe B.'s reports, as he (at least to me) is impartial and not overly negative or positive. He has reported both good and bad thus far out of EJ, but overall the impression I get is he is seeing significant progression from last season.

Yeah, and from what I've read, the bad seems to be miscommunication between EJ and his receivers. Hopefully that gets worked out.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and from what I've read, the bad seems to be miscommunication between EJ and his receivers. Hopefully that gets worked out.

Been reading a lot about receivers running wrong routes or otherwise breaking them off, too. If that's the case, I hope EJ gets in their earholes.

GO BILLS!!!

Been reading a lot about receivers running wrong routes or otherwise breaking them off, too. If that's the case, I hope EJ gets in their earholes.

GO BILLS!!!

After listening to Hackett talk yesterday, it's abundantly clear that they traded Stevie not because of talent and not because of personality, but simply because they wanted all receivers to run the exact same routes every single play, and are making that a priority for each and every player on each and every route run, so the QBs can go through their progressions quicker and know where everyone is.

After listening to Hackett talk yesterday, it's abundantly clear that they traded Stevie not because of talent and not because of personality, but simply because they wanted all receivers to run the exact same routes every single play, and are making that a priority for each and every player on each and every route run, so the QBs can go through their progressions quicker and know where everyone is.

Yeah, we were talking about this yesterday. Hackett's passing game is all timing-based and Stevie wreaked havoc with timing. Especially on shorter drops of 1-3 steps.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that's a good call. The other thing to consider was something Marrone said in his radio interview yesterday, essentially that it was tough for EJ to be a true leader (as it is with any rookie) because he's trying to figure out the game himself and correct his own errors, trying to lead veteran players becomes tough. But now that Stevie's gone, the WR corps is young and can learn and grow together. (Paraphrased).

Stevie was set in his ways and even though I've only heard that he is a terrific teammate, EJ had to defer to Stevie's experience. Now he doesn't. Now EJ has as much experience and is around the same age as all the WRs save for Williams who is in his first year with the team so it balances out.

I think that's a good call. The other thing to consider was something Marrone said in his radio interview yesterday, essentially that it was tough for EJ to be a true leader (as it is with any rookie) because he's trying to figure out the game himself and correct his own errors, trying to lead veteran players becomes tough. But now that Stevie's gone, the WR corps is young and can learn and grow together. (Paraphrased).

Stevie was set in his ways and even though I've only heard that he is a terrific teammate, EJ had to defer to Stevie's experience. Now he doesn't. Now EJ has as much experience and is around the same age as all the WRs save for Williams who is in his first year with the team so it balances out.

Yup. That's really true. I'm getting excited for this offense. I don't think that EJ is going to be very good this year, but he can be good enough and the team can still make the playoffs because we have some potent playmakers, and a bunch of weapons.

Yup. That's really true. I'm getting excited for this offense. I don't think that EJ is going to be very good this year, but he can be good enough and the team can still make the playoffs because we have some potent playmakers, and a bunch of weapons.

And a talent-laden defense.

Why don't you think EJ will be very good this year?

Why don't you think EJ will be very good this year?

I don't mean to say he will be bad. I just think he is on an extended learning curve and not a meteoric rise to stardom. He's still got young unproven coaches, a new group of receivers, half a new line, etc. I believe he has the skills, the talent, the will, the physicality, but he is going to need a full year of experience I think before we can think of him as pretty good. If he didn't miss half the year last year counting training camp he'd be much further ahead.

So what if it's voluntary. The coaches are teaching the players their respective systems right now. Considering that the defense is changing schemes for the 5th year in a row (or is it 4th?), you'd think the players would take it seriously and show up. The ones that aren't, unless they have some serious events happening, are players I'm not a big fan of at the moment.

If these guys want to win as badly as they say they want to, they show up and put the work in.

I agree. The new CBA sure caters to the lazy player with so few mandatory practices.

I just can't relate to the professional football player sometimes. The team leaders should be on these guys to get their butts in there.

Same with holdouts. I think if I was a veteran pro football player and whether it was a team with championship aspirations or a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years, I'd be on a guy to get his butt in there because we needed him to get ready for the season. Football requires too much teamwork and practice repetitions for a guy to holdout and show up just before or after the season starts.

I couldn't believe it when Jason Peters was holding out into training camp and nobody had heard from him. Even a few of the veterans at the time voiced the opinion that "that's his deal".

Yeah, we were talking about this yesterday. Hackett's passing game is all timing-based and Stevie wreaked havoc with timing. Especially on shorter drops of 1-3 steps.

GO BILLS!!!

And a talent-laden defense.

Gentle men All.

I think you have it covered.

May i add

These coach interviews pressers have been pretty informative . Answered some questions we fans have had it seems.

I would like to think there is a good synergy between the 3 amigos . Horses pullin the cart . Talking the talk good enough for me for now. It's knida fun keeping tabs on what these guys are saying as they go along.

Not walking the walk yet , i do keep that in mind.

Top 5 roster developments from week two of OTAs

It's still not real football, but week two of OTAs revealed some interesting roster developments.

Though it’s still not real football Buffalo’s coaches have been busy formulating plans and developing decisions on what they can and cannot do with specific players, position units and their respective schemes in OTAs. Here now are the top five roster developments from the second week of organized team activities.

PFF Reveals the Bills Secret Superstar of 2014 <17:31>

Pro Football Focus Analyst and Writer Pete Damilatis joined The John Murphy Show to reveal who he has as the 2014 Bills Secret Superstar and why he grades him so high on the Bills roster.