2014 Bills OTAs Part 2 (June 3rd - June 5th)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how Brown said he talked to Hughes and Hughes said there wasn't much difference between how he approaches his position as they had so many 4-3 looks last year and he was listed as a DE. Maybe more of an adjustment for Lawson (when he ever shows up).

Also, a caller asked CB about whether Schwartz was going to be a Wanny-type passive DC and he kind of laughed it off and said Wanny had returned to the NFL after a 5-6 year absence at the collegiate level and the game had somewhat passed him by, that he just looked at the personnel and lined them up and hoped they beat the guy in front of them. He said he didn't see any similarities to Schwartz in that regard and echoed that this is in no way an overhaul of last year's D, that they are keeping aspects and changing some others.

Very interesting too about Mike Williams not looking great in practice and CB saying that he talked to some guys in TB who said he is a "gamer" and not really a practice player but he said he'll need to kick it up a notch going forward or he could see it affecting him on the depth chart, Yikes.

Edited by YoloinOhio

At least to me, it's becoming clear that Schwartz was an outstanding hire by Marrone. The guy really seems to know his stuff and he's not trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Love the comments about everyone having a clean slate; nobody is in the doghouse and nobody is in the penthouse. You have to bring it and prove it anew each year.

The article someone posted yesterday from back in 2008 about Schwartz' dedication to analytics (when he was the Titans' DC) was great to read as well. If he and his staff really spent the entire winter reviewing every snap of the Bills' season I think we'll see players being put in position to succeed.

I think it was Kelly who posted earlier this week that all of the concern over "learning a new defense" is pretty much b.s. -- I think Schwartz confirmed that as well. He said terminology in defenses has to change each year, regardless, because the teams and QBs you play against have heard the calls.

I don't think we're looking at another Wannstedt.

Thanks for these (and all the rest). Hackett said something interesting near the end of the interview, a point I hadn't considered before regarding Schwartz's impact. Around the 11 minute mark Hackett mentioned that having Schwartz "it's a lot more realistic than what we'll face each week," in comparison to last year's defense which "was all over the place... and most of the teams we play are more traditional". He capped it with relating how that will specifically help EJ and gave the example how EJ didn't get to see an NFL cover 2 defense (still the majority scheme, or at least the base scheme of most teams) until his first game. Hackett seemed convinced that having that daily exposure to a more traditional defense will help both the WRs and the EJ tremendously.

It's an interesting point and one I guess I had never really considered. I think like many I assume a QB, even a young QB, would have plenty of experience against cover 2 from high school through college. And I'm sure EJ had plenty. But it is a different beast when it's run by NFL level secondaries. The speed can't be replicated in practice and seeing it live, only while under live fire while having to adjust to every other thing rookies are forced to adapt to is probably pretty daunting. Everything in cover two is about finding the seams and timing -- that timing can only come with repetition and familiarity against that look. I'm sure they ran scout D for the first team O to mimic the week's opponent but that's a limited number of snaps on Wednesday of game weeks and maybe some during the walk through. Not a lot of time to develop the timing and patience needed to beat the cover 2 with the athletes team's have on the boundaries.

The front office is all in on EJ already, but I wonder if this notion played any role in how quickly Marrone and Whaley pounced on Schwartz. Probably not much, but it's something that kinda jumped out at me during that interview.

Great point. My personal opinion is that EJ needs more "vanilla" defense until he settles down and builds up his confidence in himself and his offensive teammates. I thought we suffered recently from being too vanilla (under Jauron I believe) to the opposite extreme where we looked completely unprepared to handle anything exotic week 1. So there is a balance. . . .

@JonahJavad

Video: RB Bryce Brown & WR Marcus Easley working separately during individuals. #bills http://instagram.com/p/o3eS17LzNI/

@ChrisBrownBills

Doug Legursky a new notable non-participant. Mark Asper to get 2nd team C reps in his absence. #Bills

@BuffRumblings

#Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett is a ball of energy, and he wants his offense moving as fast as possible: http://sbn.to/1tLhZq3

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/06/05/new-combo-on-left-side-of-o-line/

"With starting LG Chris Williams not on Han at voluntary OTAs the combination up front had a surprising change on Thursday. Starting at left tackle is Chris Hairston and kicking inside to left guard is Cordy Glenn.

Head coach Doug Marrone briefly experimented with Glenn at guard early in training camp last year, but with Glenn clearly his best tackle in 2013 he left him on the blind side."

@JonahJavad

Video: Sammy Watkins on 10 yard comeback. Notice the footwork. #bills http://instagram.com/p/o3gCppLzPw/

@ChrisBrownBills

Aaron Williams working in some team work in 7-on-7 today. #Bills OTAs

@JonahJavad

Route vs. Air Drill: Sammy Watkins reels in 20 yard outside comeback (turns to sideline- not inside- coming out of his break). #Bills

@JonahJavad

After the catch, sounded like Sammy said, "That's the easiest route!" I'll ask him bout it after practice. Would make sense tho. #Bills

@JoeBuscaglia

Without Chris Williams to take 1st team reps at LG, #Bills have shifted Cordy Glenn to LG and Chris Hairston is at LT.

@JoeBuscaglia

On Wednesday, Mark Asper was at LG on 1st te without Williams here. #Bills

@ChrisBrownBills

Corey Graham off to heck of a start. 2 INTs in 1st 2 segments of team. 1 on under thrown deep ball other off tipped ball. #Bills

http://blogs.buffalo...side-of-o-line/

"With starting LG Chris Williams not on Han at voluntary OTAs the combination up front had a surprising change on Thursday. Starting at left tackle is Chris Hairston and kicking inside to left guard is Cordy Glenn.

Head coach Doug Marrone briefly experimented with Glenn at guard early in training camp last year, but with Glenn clearly his best tackle in 2013 he left him on the blind side."

You have to know who can play what positions in an emergency.

Glenn is the starting LT. rest assured

@JonahJavad

EJ to Tony Moeaki for nice gain. Fred Jackson goes for no gain on dump pass. Two incomplete passes intended for Chris Hogan. #Bills

@JonahJavad

Downs reset. Let's try this again offense. #Bills

EJ pass to Woods deflected but caught (no gain). EJ to Woods across middle for 1st down. EJ pass too deep for Goodwin down sideline. #Bills

@JonahJavad

EJ to Anthony Dixon for a handful. EJ pass batted down at LOS. Kouandjio called for holding on 4th Down. Field goal good. #Bills

Practice over. Team huddles at midfield. #Bills return to OTAs next week.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz