2014 Bills OTAs Part 2 (June 3rd - June 5th)

@JonahJavad

Shoulder not broken or separated. Watkins says he'll be back for practice next week and plans to workout tomorrow. #Bills

@JonTWCNews

Watkins says he is fine and will be back working out tomorrow. OTAs done for the week. #Bills

@JonTWCNews

New #Bills RB Anthony Dixon says his role in crowded backfield is to "be the hammer." #BillsMafia

@JonTWCNews

#Bills RB Fred Jackson says he can't think about contract situation (in final year), but reiterates he wants to retire a Bill.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JonahJavad

Shoulder not broken or separated. Watkins says he'll be back for practice next week and plans to workout tomorrow. #Bills

Noooooo....oh thank God!

@JonTWCNews

Watkins says he is fine and will be back working out tomorrow. OTAs done for the week. #Bills

@JonTWCNews

New #Bills RB Anthony Dixon says his role in crowded backfield is to "be the hammer." #BillsMafia

@JonTWCNews

#Bills RB Fred Jackson says he can't think about contract situation (in final year), but reiterates he wants to retire a Bill.

Get it done FO.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Bills without 13 players as OTAs wrap up for week

The second week of Organized Team Activities are complete at One Bills Drive, and the Buffalo Bills concluded practices without a baker’s dozen of players to go through all the drills. Whether it was for various injuries or just absences from the voluntary workout, the Bills didn’t have their full complement of players on the field to end the week.

Watkins route running progress report

Bills rookie receiver Sammy Watkins has made route running his top priority in the spring practices. Knowing the precision that receivers coach Rob Moore and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett are demanding, Watkins is anxious to tighten everything up. Here’s his assessment of where he’s at after two weeks of OTAs and a rookie minicamp.

Moorman, Dombrowski hanging punts

The punter competition continued at OTAs on Thursday. Both Brian Moorman and rookie Jake Dombrowski were working on hang time, distance and directional punting in practice. Both punters had a moonshot in their series of kicks Thursday.

I HATE the thought of moving Glenn to guard. I know it's OTAs and they have to try things in case of injuries going forward and such but I cringe every time I hear it.

Don't see it happening, but they better be ready to deal with an upset player who will bolt as soon as he can if they move him inside. The guy is going to get PAID as a left tackle eventually, hopefully by us

I HATE the thought of moving Glenn to guard. I know it's OTAs and they have to try things in case of injuries going forward and such but I cringe every time I hear it.

I think this was primarily to see if Hairston can fill in at LT. Glenn had to move somewhere, in that case, why not try him at LG?

Having him practice at guard makes a lot of sense if for no other reason that this:

You only dress 7 OL on game days.

Let's assume for a moment that they dress a starting 5 of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, and Kouandjio, along with the swing OT (for this discussion let's assume it's Hairston) plus an interior player (probably Legursky or Richardson).

Lose an OT or OG and the backup comes in, easy. Lose the C and Urbik slides over with the backup coming in at OG.

What happens if you lose 2 OLmen though?

- Lose 2 tackles and Hairston and the backup guard come in with Williams sliding out to OT.

- Lose a tackle and guard and the backups come in.

- Lose 2 interior players and you now have a choice of playing Hairston at guard--a position he's never played--or moving Glenn over and letting Hairston play OT.

That's my case.

Having him practice at guard makes a lot of sense if for no other reason that this:

You only dress 7 OL on game days.

Let's assume for a moment that they dress a starting 5 of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, and Kouandjio, along with the swing OT (for this discussion let's assume it's Hairston) plus an interior player (probably Legursky or Richardson).

Lose an OT or OG and the backup comes in, easy. Lose the C and Urbik slides over with the backup coming in at OG.

What happens if you lose 2 OLmen though?

- Lose 2 tackles and Hairston and the backup guard come in with Williams sliding out to OT.

- Lose a tackle and guard and the backups come in.

- Lose 2 interior players and you now have a choice of playing Hairston at guard--a position he's never played--or moving Glenn over and letting Hairston play OT.

That's my case.

Yes, you need to have a continuity plan B, C and D to keep EJ upright. He's the key to everything.

New guard Chris Williams likes the fit

Free agent signee Chris Williams has been dropped between Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood on Buffalo's offensive line and couldn't be happier with the fit.

“I’m really impressed by our secondary” JMS 6/5 <40:14>

The Bills wrapped up another week of organized team activities on Thursday. Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz joined the show to discuss what he’s seen out of the past two weeks. Although the OTAs are not full-go practices with pads and hitting, Schwartz describes the sessions as a perfect time to implement his defensive system.

Not a lot of talk on here about how EJ is doing. From the few tweets I have read, it sounds like he has been a bit underwhelming, so far. Am I overreacting? Or is this the 700lb gorilla in the room?

I pay the most attention to Joe B.'s reports, as he (at least to me) is impartial and not overly negative or positive. He has reported both good and bad thus far out of EJ, but overall the impression I get is he is seeing significant progression from last season.

I doubt he will ever need to play guard. This to me seems more like they are trying to build continuity by making him try out the inside. Kind of like, you doing a coworkers for a day and see how things work so you can do your job better.