Favorite all time movie?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Trading Places" is really solid. As is "Coming to America."

Agree on "Trading Places", I think that is a comedy that has become overlooked.

I also agree with those people that have mentioned other comedies such as "Ghostbusters" & "The Blues Brothers". Great choices.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Airplane" yet. Especially since everyone here loves to quote that movie.

Another great comedy that has not been mentioned yet is "Tootsie".

"YOU WERE A TOMATO! A TOMATO DOESN'T HAVE LOGIC! A TOMATO CAN'T MOVE!"

This is why the Godfather vs. Godfather II debate is so great. All of your points are well-taken. The young Vito/DeNiro, however, is what puts No. 2 over the top for me.

I think 1 myself. I have no good reason, other than older Vito and Sonny.

It's filmed so amazingly and the cinematographer just died last week

That's one thing about Mann--he tends to leave you about 15 minutes before you're ready. Better than James Cameron's M-O of push it 30 minutes past when you want it to be over IMO.

You are dead on with James Cameron, but I somewhat disagree with you about Michael Mann.

To be fair, I have never seen "The Last of the Mohicans", but I love "Heat" and "Collateral" and I think Mann nails it with the running time of those two films.

Too many to narrow down. I even have trouble making a top 5, but here it goes (in no particular order):

The Big Lebowski

The English Patient

Suburbia

The Shawshank Redemption

Ok, it's a top 4. I can't settle on #5. Too many great movies.

That's one thing about Mann--he tends to leave you about 15 minutes before you're ready. Better than James Cameron's M-O of push it 30 minutes past when you want it to be over IMO.

I always thought Cameron paces his films relatively well, though, so they never really feel that long to me. Even with the brutal hack-job (which he hid very well) he did in editing True Lies, it was a well-paced movie.

Peter Jackson, on the other hand... :death: The man stretches two minute action scenes to 15 minutes. He couldn't decide on the ending to The Return of the King...so he just showed all seven. "What, this movie isn't over? How many endings does this friggin' movie have???"

I always thought Cameron paces his films relatively well, though, so they never really feel that long to me. Even with the brutal hack-job (which he hid very well) he did in editing True Lies, it was a well-paced movie.

Peter Jackson, on the other hand... :death: The man stretches two minute action scenes to 15 minutes. He couldn't decide on the ending to The Return of the King...so he just showed all seven. "What, this movie isn't over? How many endings does this friggin' movie have???"

Crappy endings have ruined many a good film.