3 or possibly 4 stadium sites will be presented by 7/11

Exciting time for Buffalo. I hope people appreciate this once-in-a-couple-generations opportunity, and that the decision-makers don't screw this up. Unless NFL promises a Super Bowl for a Niagara Falls stadium, can't see how downtown area isn't best location.

probably this

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say strong favorites are:

Renovate

Build on Adjacent Lot

Somewhere in Southern-downtown, but not at harbor (Perry Street?)

Wildcards for 4th spot

Batavia

Summit Park Mall

UB/Audubon

Harbor

East Side area

Lancaster somewhere

Central Terminal neighborhood is awful. It would be a mistake putting it in a place with nothing there now. The stadium needs to be part of a burgeoning area like Canalside.

That's the whole point. It spurs development in an otherwise underdeveloped area. Many cities have used stadiums to create a renaissance in areas of urban blight. Denver (Coors Field) comes to mind as an example. It's not about what the area looks like now, but what it looks like 20 years from now.

From a transportation and preservationist standpoint, the Central Terminal area has a lot of merit. Land is dirt cheap there too.

That's the whole point. It spurs development in an otherwise underdeveloped area. Many cities have used stadiums to create a renaissance in areas of urban blight. Denver (Coors Field) comes to mind as an example. It's not about what the area looks like now, but what it looks like 20 years from now.

A football stadium on its own is not going to transform an area, those 8 home games are nothing compared to a baseball stadium's 82 games over a 6-month span. What a football stadium can do is buttress an already developing area, such as Canalside. You need to look no further than the Ralph for proof - in 40+ years the only economic developments in the immediate area directly attributed to the stadium are what, a few bars?

You build a stadium alone in a ghetto and 20 years from now you are going to have a stadium alone in a ghetto.

A football stadium on its own is not going to transform an area, those 8 home games are nothing compared to a baseball stadium's 82 games over a 6-month span. What a football stadium can do is buttress an already developing area, such as Canalside. You need to look no further than the Ralph for proof - in 40+ years the only economic developments in the immediate area directly attributed to the stadium are what, a few bars?

You build a stadium alone in a ghetto and 20 years from now you are going to have a stadium alone in a ghetto.

You may have said it a little harshly, but i got to agree with the sentiment.

The stadium should be built on the water. For those who have said 'i don't want to ruin the waterfront with a stadium', are you joking??? The waterfront in Buffalo is pathetic compared to cities like Cleveland and Pitt, both towns that embraced the waterfront and developed on it!

Good, gosh i can already see why so little happens in Buffalo. I can only hope that strong decisive leaders exist and will make swift and accurate decisions. Forget about what ever constituent has to say, get something done!

From a transportation and preservationist standpoint, the Central Terminal area has a lot of merit. Land is dirt cheap there too.

That was the original intent of putting the Central Terminal where it is...in 1929! How'd that work out for us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Central_Terminal

"Buffalo was a quickly growing city at the time, and it was believed that before long Central Terminal's area would become closer to the center of a sprawing metropolis of 1.5 million people. The City was not so sure, but planning was well underway in 1924, despite the lack of an agreement at the time."

Somewhere in the Canalside area is the best choice, IMO.

Left field ideas for the Stadium location.

1. What if we built it in Lake Erie on pilings.

2. On Grand Island, just over the bridge.

3. LaSalle Park.

4. Delaware Park

Edited by oman128

3. LaSalle Park.

4. Delaware Park

Or on a big barge and if the team sucks cut it loose and let it over the falls!

I dont think I have seen anyone suggest this before but what about Larkinville, that seems to be a up and coming place, there is an old white/ grey building on Seneca street that from the size of it looks llike it could hold an NFL size stadium. there are also lots of other old buildings that are being re purposed, some im sure would need to be torn down for parking.

I see your Coors Field and raise you Atlanta's Turner Field, or Detroit's Comerica Park, where you leave the game and walk AS FAST AS YOU CAN to wherever you're parked and get the hell out of Dodge.

I see your Coors Field and raise you Atlanta's Turner Field, or Detroit's Comerica Park, where you leave the game and walk AS FAST AS YOU CAN to wherever you're parked and get the hell out of Dodge.

ERGO why the Braves just flipped the City of ATL the proverbial middle finger and moved about 10 miles north to the burbs.

The city of Atlanta is one of the worse run cities in America.

Cheektowaga- aero drive area near Madams and Pharoahs as well as the airport, transit, and the 90/290split.

Looking at the map, I stumbled across a similar area, off Transit between Genesee and the 90. Looks like wasted space at least from the air. And, I've heard of it. Git 'er done.

This stadium study could be the most important news of the decade , along with a new owner. If the private group is serious they could raise the money for a multipurpose dome on the outer harbor, the state could fix the traffic flow problem.

3. LaSalle Park.

4. Delaware Park

The piling and subaqueous bracing costs alone would increase the stadium cost by 50%, otherwise that'd be a cool idea.