Sammy Watkins Vs. Ohio State

Last year I thought Boyd was destined to be a top 5 pick.

It looks like he was a huge beneficiary of having Watkins and Hopkins.

I've heard the reason for all the screens was bc Sammy is awesome but also bc Boyd was so badly inconsistent.

could be.

And fwiw, I wasn't knocking on all his screens. I was simply stating that the video in the OP wasn't so spectacular. That there's really nothing that special about a couple screens.

But I will give credit where it is due. The TDs are great. And even the screens aren't bad at all. He shows great ability to fight for yards.

Just hoped I'd seen more in what many say is his best game.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I look at Mack's OSU game a little differently, because OSU had a NC-caliber offense, IMO. He didn't have to face Hyde because he was suspended for that game, but he dominated what ended up being a very good OL and outran two sub-4.4 guys on a pick six that was a thing of beauty.

Lol touche. Point taken. I loved watching Mack all 4 years. And my thing is people who dont know Mack reference that game. I guess it was the national stage. Me and Promo probably could go for days about UB football and I would really challenge him to give me a better UB Bull than Kahlil. Craig Guest was the only one I could think of to touch Macks legacy.

2010835403.jpgThis man?

#gaileywasgenius.

Fitzpatrick.2

#notoboyd

Pettine + Gailey as coordinators= mind blown.

Lol touche. Point taken. I loved watching Mack all 4 years. And my thing is people who dont know Mack reference that game. I guess it was the national stage. Me and Promo probably could go for days about UB football and I would really challenge him to give me a better UB Bull than Kahlil. Craig Guest was the only one I could think of to touch Macks legacy.

Pettine + Gailey as coordinators= mind blown.

keep it old school. Gailey OC (62 years old). LeBeau DC (76 yrs old). Tom Coughlin (68 yrs old).

Pete Carroll (62 years old) is the second oldest coach in the NFL.

#beerballis87

Edited by jboyst62

Yeah. Some nice routes, a couple deep balls for TD's, a lot of screens that went for first downs thanks to good moves and powerful running. Terrible video.

could be.

And fwiw, I wasn't knocking on all his screens. I was simply stating that the video in the OP wasn't so spectacular. That there's really nothing that special about a couple screens.

This is a single game going play by play... Find a better video of any player against a top 20 team with a 6th round qb.

Edited by buffalover4life

When I watched that game my thoughts were that Sammy just played himself from a 1at round pick to a top 10 pick. Who knew it would be the #9 pick, a 2015 1st, and a 2015 4th.

Without that game Watkins may have been available at #9.

Not that I hate the trade just that that game was so impressive in all aspects of being a WR it couldn't help but send his draft stock into the atmosphere.

I hope he can translate to every Sunday in the NFL.

keep it old school. Gailey OC (62 years old). LeBeau DC (76 yrs old). Tom Coughlin (68 yrs old).

Pete Carroll (62 years old) is the second oldest coach in the NFL.

#beerballis87

Coughlin is what Marrone wants to be one day. I still dont believe Pete is really 62. Gailey to me was exactly the OC the team needs.

When I watched that game my thoughts were that Sammy just played himself from a 1at round pick to a top 10 pick. Who knew it would be the #9 pick, a 2015 1st, and a 2015 4th.

Without that game Watkins may have been available at #9.

Not that I hate the trade just that that game was so impressive in all aspects of being a WR it couldn't help but send his draft stock into the atmosphere.

I hope he can translate to every Sunday in the NFL.

Uhh... No. Sammy was a top 10 pick before this game. This game only solidified what was already thought about him. His workouts pushed him from top 10 lock to top 5 lock.

he's a WR right??? Not a RB right??? When I watch a highlight video of a WR I want to see the ball thrown beyond the LOS and the WR going up and getting the ball. Making plays. Most of the plays in this video could be made with NFL quality blocking.

Then... here: http://youtu.be/7Kjkh3yV8YA

Take yer gripes to the Complaints Department if this doesn't suit your fancy. :nana:

He takes "catching the ball" more seriously than any Bills wideout I've seen since James Lofton.

He moves the chains, and scores TDs and he's a beast to bring down.

Hard to like a guy like that... if you're a D Coordinator, or a Bills detractor.

OK, I finally watched a Watkins highlight reel. This did nothing to dispel what I've read about him.

He caught 2 balls on what were basically "go" routes.

All other catches were at/behind the LOS.

He carried the ball a bunch of times. Personally I don't want my #1 WR exposed to the pounding that NFL DE's and LB's will give him if he's handed the ball. Maybe you give him the ball 3-4 times in a season just to keep the opposing defense on its toes, but, I would not mind one little bit if he never carried the ball (on a hand off) for Buffalo.

He does snatch the ball out of the air beautifully, but, he will not "make a living" in the NFL on receptions at/behind the LOS.

He looks like he's a willing & decent blocker based on that game.

Uhh... No. Sammy was a top 10 pick before this game. This game only solidified what was already thought about him. His workouts pushed him from top 10 lock to top 5 lock.

Really? You want to argue weather Sammy Watkins was a con census 1st rounder or Consensus top 10 pick in mock drafts in December 2013?

The point is the game boosted his draft stock. People's opinion may vary from where to where.

For those of you that worry about his catches being on screens and short slants -relax. Clemson tried to get the ball to him as much as they could so that he could make plays. They could have thrown him a bunch of 20 yard outs but he would have had less touches that way. They threw screens, slants and ran jet sweeps so that he could work in space. He can do everything on the field.

For those of you that worry about his catches being on screens and short slants -relax. Clemson tried to get the ball to him as much as they could so that he could make plays. They could have thrown him a bunch of 20 yard outs but he would have had less touches that way. They threw screens, slants and ran jet sweeps so that he could work in space. He can do everything on the field.

If he wasn't asked to do it how do you know?

Even Nanker's highlight reel had only 1 play v. Georgia that was not a screen or go route.

Where are the highlights of him where he's actually asked to run routes?

After watching both of those it is obvious that he has terrific hands. Whether he can run routes???

So, two highlight reels...one catch that was not a screen or go...

Even Nanker's highlight reel had only 1 play v. Georgia that was not a screen or go route.

After watching both of those it is obvious that he has terrific hands. Whether he can run routes???

He did a lot of it earlier in his career at Clemson. I believe that he was 1 of 4 freshmen to ever be 1st team All-American. Nobody comes out of college as perfect route runners but by all accounts he is as advanced as just about any rookie. In addition, his work ethic will allow that to improve.

I honestly feel that the Bills are going to use him in a similar manner to how he was used at Clemson. When your QB has accuracy issues why would you want him throwing those 20 yard outs? They are going to try to maximize his touches and let him make plays.

I honestly feel that the Bills are going to use him in a similar manner to how he was used at Clemson. When your QB has accuracy issues why would you want him throwing those 20 yard outs? They are going to try to maximize his touches and let him make plays.

If they do then they are idiots and Watkins will have a short career.

If they do then they are idiots and Watkins will have a short career.

That's how Welker is used (and now Edleman). He is much better after the catch than those guys. He is going to catch slants and turn it up. He will catch bubble screens as well. Mel Kiper said that he is the best player after the catch that he has ever graded!! I think that he has been doing it for 36 years.

This guy is not one of the good players that we have drafted (think Gilmore). Watkins is a generational talent. He is as talented a college WR as I have seen (right there with Fitzgerald & Moss).

Sammy touched on this a little but forget where. I think it was during his first press conference as a Bill.

He basically said his freshman year he ran more traditional routes. After putting up huge numbers as a true freshman, defenses all started playing off man and giving him big cushions so CBs weren't getting burned off the line. His coach basically took advantage of that and used the screen game to pick up easy yards and get him the ball in space.

It was almost like stealing really. He's obviously not going to get the same kind of cushions in the NFL but by all accounts Sammy is a guy that can run a full route tree and be fluid at it.

Edited by Bangarang

Then... here: http://youtu.be/7Kjkh3yV8YA

Take yer gripes to the Complaints Department if this doesn't suit your fancy. :nana:

He takes "catching the ball" more seriously than any Bills wideout I've seen since James Lofton.

He moves the chains, and scores TDs and he's a beast to bring down.

Hard to like a guy like that... if you're a D Coordinator, or a Bills detractor.

easy guy. I've already said that I like the kid. Just that the OPs video didn't do him justice. Not sure why everyone is all goo-goo, ga-ga over it. It didn't show me much for being a highlight video of a WR

OK, I finally watched a Watkins highlight reel. This did nothing to dispel what I've read about him.

He carried the ball a bunch of times. Personally I don't want my #1 WR exposed to the pounding that NFL DE's and LB's will give him if he's handed the ball. Maybe you give him the ball 3-4 times in a season just to keep the opposing defense on its toes, but, I would not mind one little bit if he never carried the ball (on a hand off) for Buffalo.

He does snatch the ball out of the air beautifully, but, he will not "make a living" in the NFL on receptions at/behind the LOS.

you obviously get it.

you know I'm on board with him now, so I understand this. Just that video is all.

havent seen this video yet. But now I'm scared.

i don't care how terrible our QB may be. I don't want our STAR WR running screens all day. Seems like a big waste.

That's how Welker is used (and now Edleman). He is much better after the catch than those guys. He is going to catch slants and turn it up. He will catch bubble screens as well. Mel Kiper said that he is the best player after the catch that he has ever graded!! I think that he has been doing it for 36 years.

This guy is not one of the good players that we have drafted (think Gilmore). Watkins is a generational talent. He is as talented a college WR as I have seen (right there with Fitzgerald & Moss).

you seriously had me before when you told me to "think Larry Fitzgerald" but when you say Edleman or Welker, I get scared. We just had a guy (Stevie Johnson) that could do all that. We need better than a slot guy. I don't care how many balls Welker catches. We don't want that.

I'm still don't get why fans would be upset that he caught balls at the line of scrimmage and turned them into 10-15 yards. That's moving the ball. That's first downs. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have made their careers on dink and dunk. I get that everyone love's the big plays but they just don't happen all that often and teams need to take what they are given by the defense. 10 yard cushion from the CB? Ok I'll throw it to my playmaker and trust that he can probably beat that 1 guy maybe he'll beat the safety too.

I'm still don't get why fans would be upset that he caught balls at the line of scrimmage and turned them into 10-15 yards. That's moving the ball. That's first downs. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have made their careers on dink and dunk. I get that everyone love's the big plays but they just don't happen all that often and teams need to take what they are given by the defense. 10 yard cushion from the CB? Ok I'll throw it to my playmaker and trust that he can probably beat that 1 guy maybe he'll beat the safety too.

i don't think I've seen Payton Manning throw as many screens behind the LOS in his entire career as there are in that video. Dink and dunk is different than behind the LOS. Edited by mrags

i don't think I've seen Payton Manning throw as many screens behind the LOS in his entire career as there are in that video. Dink and dunk is different than behind the LOS.

May I suggest reading this? First game of last season, 78 yard TD by Thomas, off of a WR screen.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/11/6/5073860/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-offense-routes

Edit: Also this article talks specifically about how much he used to run the screen in Indy and would be doing the same in Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058566/printable/peyton-manning-will-run-familiar-schemes-with-denver-broncos

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Sammy ran screens all day against Ohio State because he could. If you watched this game in its entirety, you know that the game was close...back and forth and a bit of an offensive shootout. The game came down to the final play. Ohio State could not defend the screens, so they continued to run them. Clemson took this bowl game very seriously, and they did whatever they could to win, considering they had issues of their own with Ohio State's offense. I doubt that Chad Morris was overly concerned with what anyone thought about Watkins ability to run NFL routes when he devised the game plan. JMO. I would give pretty much anything for the Browns to have drafted Sammy. He is going to be a beast.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

May I suggest reading this? First game of last season, 78 yard TD by Thomas, off of a WR screen.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/11/6/5073860/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-offense-routes

Edit: Also this article talks specifically about how much he used to run the screen in Indy and would be doing the same in Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058566/printable/peyton-manning-will-run-familiar-schemes-with-denver-broncos

saying Payton Manning used the run screen and that's why he was successful suggests you know nothing about football. Just saying.

Sammy ran screens all day against Ohio State because he could. If you watched this game in its entirety, you know that the game was close...back and forth and a bit of an offensive shootout. The game came down to the final play. Ohio State could not defend the screens, so they continued to run them. Clemson took this bowl game very seriously, and they did whatever they could to win, considering they had issues of their own with Ohio State's offense. I doubt that Chad Morris was overly concerned with what anyone thought about Watkins ability to run NFL routes when he devised the game plan. JMO. I would give pretty much anything for the Browns to have drafted Sammy. He is going to be a beast.

best post of the thread and not even a Bills fan. Are all Browns fans this intelligent? Sign a few more up here would ya.

Peyton Manning does throw a ton of screens as well as long balls.

Used to be Pierre garcon on the pick play. Now it's demaryius or welkahhhh etc.

Not disparaging anyone's point here but I'll take 7-10 yard screen passes all day. Move those chains !

Edited by Ryan L Billz

As I said earlier, I've been watching complete games not highlights, it is a different perspective. If Ds were giving them that bubble screen they just keep doing it and not just to Watkins. I don't see why that is a bad thing. He catches everything with his hands away from his body. It is impressive how quickly he turns and gets up to speed after the catch. He has great vision. Couldn't really tell much about his blocking. Defenses had to account for him on every play, opened up things for other guys.

With the running back position becoming less important, does anyone think that WRs with running back skills are becoming a trend?

saying Payton Manning used the run screen and that's why he was successful suggests you know nothing about football. Just saying.

Wow, ok. Seriously? Did you click the links? Obviously not. I mean gee, why would 2 different writers, one who is a respected scout in Bucky Brooks, who both say Peyton (BTW it's P-E-Y-T-O-N, because you can't seem to spell) used WR screens A LOT in his career. So yea, that would suggest WR screens were a part of why he was/is a successful QB. I think it's yourself that knows very little about football and apparently can't be asked to read.

Peyton Manning does throw a ton of screens as well as long balls. Used to be Pierre garcon on the pick play. Now it's demaryius or welkahhhh etc. Not disparaging anyone's point here but I'll take 7-10 yard screen passes all day. Move those chains !

You know nothing about football.

Wow, ok. Seriously? Did you click the links? Obviously not. I mean gee, why would 2 different writers, one who is a respected scout in Bucky Brooks, who both say Peyton (BTW it's P-E-Y-T-O-N, because you can't seem to spell) used WR screens A LOT in his career. So yea, that would suggest WR screens were a part of why he was/is a successful QB. I think it's yourself that knows very little about football and apparently can't be asked to read.

You know nothing about football.

not everyone can be a wiener.

There really is no comparison for Sammy in the NFL....he does everything well....this is what makes him a rare talent...he is nit Julio or AJ but I believe a better all around player...I think he is more of a Percy harvin but with more talent....not sure why he has to be compared to these guys...I think Sammy is his own talent. Love his versatility....

There really is no comparison for Sammy in the NFL....he does everything well....this is what makes him a rare talent...he is nit Julio or AJ but I believe a better all around player...I think he is more of a Percy harvin but with more talent....not sure why he has to be compared to these guys...I think Sammy is his own talent. Love his versatility....

He's a Percy harvin Heinz Ward mashup IMO.

His body control and hands remind me of Fitzgerald too.

This is what makes him special...he is combo of all those guys.....every single draft analyst when asked who he reminds them of....they all stop and stutter...there is no direct comparison