Mike Williams highlights as Buccaneer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been saying since the day they traded for him, Mike Williams is an upper echelon WR, if you take away his off the field issues. I will admit, I have probably only seen about 6 Bucs games since he has been in Tampa Bay, but every time I watched them, he stood out as a great talent, not just "pretty good". People have been talking about him as if he is questionable to make the roster. The Bucs didn't just extend his contract for no reason. The guy is real good. If this season goes well, it is likely that the trade for Williams will go down as Whaley's shrewdest move. The fact that Marrone approved the trade (I am assuming), given that their previous time together at Syracuse didn't go so well, makes me feel pretty good about the prospect of this working out, on and off the field.

I liken what he brings to the offense to something like what Eric Moulds did for us, in his prime. The only thing that will keep him off the roster, is the kind of stuff that made Lovey want to get rid of him. Just has to stay out of trouble...lets hope a return home is good for him... even before drafting Watkins, and assuming we were looking at a WR stable of Mike Williams, Stevie, Woods and Goodwin going into the season, I thought his addition was a huge upgrade for the offense....I think what he can add, along with Watkins will be more than adequate to replace what Stevie brought to the field.

Edited by Buftex

No ones has doubted the guy's talent since he arrived in the league. He's consistently produced at a pretty high level. It's all about his off field issues. Hopefully he's grown up some, I guess we'll see.

That might be the most impressive highlight video I've seen for any WR. Wow this guy has Calvin Johnson/AJ Green-like talent.

^ lets tap the breaks a little bit here.

although i do think he's a nice wideout who's the type of jump-ball receiver the bills were sorely missing in the redzone last year.

I see a lot of Steve Johnson similarities, more so then I would have believed.

what does this have to do with Graham?

Ya'll always fuss at me for defending him. This is why - out of the blue pot shot

So comparing Mike Williams to Stevie in a positive light is ok, but comparing Graham's shortcomings to how Williams excels in those area's is wrong?

The thread has nothing to do with Graham, you're correct. But in regard to the pot shot, the nail that sticks out gets hammered first.

Edited by The Wiz

I live in Tampa so I've watched just about every game he's played and yes he's a baller. His leaping ability makes him even taller than 6'2".

You guys will love him on the field and scratch your head on him off the field. Hopefully, Marrone gives him the stern dad talk, and he realizes if he's cut from the Bills, he's out of the NFL. He will be cheap this year, but he'll earn a serious contract next year.

What I love the most is this is the last of Graham on the field as he's pushed down the depth chart. Goodwin showed he's better and more reliable than Graham.

I'm excited for our WR corp, and as long as EJ can develop some synergy with these new players, we should move up in our passing game. My expectation is we just move up to 14-15th I passing so middle of the pack, and with this new beef on the line rank #1 in the run.

With the new LBs, we move up to the top half against the run, and at the top of the league against the pass to be a top 5 defense. That sounds like boring football, but I'd rather be 10-6 in low scoring games.

To those, like me, not familiarized with what Mike Williams did as a Buccaneer, here is a youtube video a Bills fan edited and uploaded.

https://www.youtube....h?v=NFBJDhLfzks

It will be huge for this team if he can contribute this year.

And that's your 6th round pick Bills fans . . .

• Speed ++
  • Hands +++
  • Body Control +++
  • Route Running ++
  • Toughness +
  • Head - -

Question: Isn't he really a #1 receiver?

I have been saying since the day they traded for him, Mike Williams is an upper echelon WR, if you take away his off the field issues. I will admit, I have probably only seen about 6 Bucs games since he has been in Tampa Bay, but every time I watched them, he stood out as a great talent, not just "pretty good". People have been talking about him as if he is questionable to make the roster. The Bucs didn't just extend his contract for no reason. The guy is real good. If this season goes well, it is likely that the trade for Williams will go down as Whaley's shrewdest move. The fact that Marrone approved the trade (I am assuming), given that their previous time together at Syracuse didn't go so well, makes me feel pretty good about the prospect of this working out, on and off the field.

I liken what he brings to the offense to something like what Eric Moulds did for us, in his prime. The only thing that will keep him off the roster, is the kind of stuff that made Lovey want to get rid of him. Just has to stay out of trouble...lets hope a return home is good for him... even before drafting Watkins, and assuming we were looking at a WR stable of Mike Williams, Stevie, Woods and Goodwin going into the season, I thought his addition was a huge upgrade for the offense....I think what he can add, along with Watkins will be more than adequate to replace what Stevie brought to the field.

I've never understood the idea that people thought that he wouldn't make the team. During draft time, people kept talking about Woods being paired with Sammy and I kept fighting the urge to blow up and tell them that Mike Williams will be the #2. Before we took Sammy, I was pretty sure that he could have beat out Stevie at #1.

Looking at his draft measurables, he looks shockingly like Sammy Watkins (which is why I thought the Bills wouldn't draft him), Mike Williams is 6'2 to Sammy's 6'1, has ten pounds on Sammy, is 0.1 seconds slower in his 40 time, has a higher vertical than Sammy, and has four years of league experience to get him up to speed with the game.

And, of course, he had ELEVEN touchdowns as a rookie. I know that some of that is an aberration, like how Byrd racked up a ton of interceptions his rookie year and then slid but the man has talent. Barring arrest, the man should be on the field.

Considering that we kept saying that Woods looks like Stevie, I really see him in the slot. What do you guys think of a 3 WR set with Sammy and Mike on the outside and Woods running a slant over the middle?

Considering that we kept saying that Woods looks like Stevie, I really see him in the slot. What do you guys think of a 3 WR set with Sammy and Mike on the outside and Woods running a slant over the middle?

I can see Sammy rotating in and out of the outside and slot but would probably be something like 70/30 outside/slot.

And that's your 6th round pick Bills fans . . .

• Speed ++
  • Hands +++
  • Body Control +++
  • Route Running ++
  • Toughness +
  • Head - -

Question: Isn't he really a #1 receiver?

He's not that tough? And he can be a #1a receiver.

The forgotten man in the Sammy hoopla is Robert Woods. EJ found him a lot hen both were on the field. He is going to step up in year 2. Lotta weapons for EJ.

That's for sure. Lots of young talent.

The stats comparison of Stevie and Mike Williams is pretty interesting. They're different types of wide receivers, but they're close considering Stevie was clearly the number one target while Mike wasn't.

Stevie Johnson: 526 targets, 289 receptions, 3,720 yards, 26 TDs, 12.9 YPC in 60 games (4.8 receptions, 62 yards, 0.4 TDs per game)

Caught 55% of his targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.05 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Ryan Fitzpatrick (45 games), EJ Manuel (9 games), Thad Lewis (2 games), Trent Edwards (2 games), Brian Brohm (1 game)

Mike Williams: 418 targets, 215 receptions, 2,947 yards, 25 TDs, 13.7 YPC in 54 games (4 receptions, 54.6 yards, 0.5 TDs per game)

Caught 51% of targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.06 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Josh Freeman (40 games), Mike Glennon (3 games), Josh Johnson (1)

The one stat I can't find a good number on is drops. Stevie had 7 this year and 11 in 2012. Mike Williams had 1 this year (in 6 games) and less than 7 in 2012 (exact number not sure). Chances are Stevie has many more drops.

Confirms my guy feeling that we got one of two things, a steal for MW, or a good value for Stevie...

Both put up comparable numbers across the board, both had junk QB's...

Nod goes to MW for fewer drops, something is Bills fan got tired of watching out of SJ

I know I'm the wrong messenger to deliver this, but let's be serious: can anyone argue--with a straight face--that Mike Williams isn't an upgrade over Stevie?

What we need is a comprehensive flowchart of the Bill's offseason maneuvers. If I come back in a bit, and nobody has created one yet, then I'll know what I'm doing this afternoon :-)