It's not just EJ that has to improve

Marone, Hackett, Crossman Woods, Goodwin all need to step it up.

Woods was okay as a rookie, but he needs to play like a vet this year. TJ Graham may be our most experienced receiver and he sucks.

Goodwin needs to show he is not just some flash. We don't need him and TJ, he needs to send TJ into retirement.

Crossman is a big question mark. He has never shown that he belongs in the NFL.

Hackett is a kid playing with toys, there is nothing I have seen in his game plan that is impressive. Sure he'd like to run an up tempo offense but he couldn't even manage a slow tempo offense last year.

Marone made a lot of big mistakes. He needs to show he is the boss on the sidelines not just some guy wearing the mike. So far he reminds me of Mike Mularkey.

It won't matter if EJ improves if these guys don't.

Hackett had some disadvantages... A rookie QB who kept getting injured... A star WR who was injured... And Hackett himself was a rookie OC.

But I really didn't like how he used CJ. CJ's YPC dropped from 6.0 (2012) to 4.6 (2013). Hackett seemed clueless on how to give CJ the space he needs to show his stuff.

I also didn't like the uptempo offense. An uptempo offense makes sense when you have an offense that can sustain drives. We didn't have that. So instead we just gave our opponents more possessions. This is one reason why our run defense was ranked poorly last year. Thanks to Hackett, our D was on the field a lot and faced a high number of plays.

I really hope Hackett takes a step forward this year.

Woods was okay as a rookie, but he needs to play like a vet this year. TJ Graham may be our most experienced receiver and he sucks.

Goodwin needs to show he is not just some flash. We don't need him and TJ, he needs to send TJ into retirement.

Hackett is a kid playing with toys, there is nothing I have seen in his game plan that is impressive. Sure he'd like to run an up tempo offense but he couldn't even manage a slow tempo offense last year.

Marone made a lot of big mistakes. He needs to show he is the boss on the sidelines not just some guy wearing the mike. So far he reminds me of Mike Mularkey.

Really enjoyed this... I couldn't agree more... Clearly this isn't a cure all, but this is most certainly a start... I have high hopes for this year...

Its that "run it up between the tackles" play every friggen first down.....

first of all.....until this offseason we really didnt have the power back to make that work because they wouldnt use Frank the Tank on that play.....so every 1st down.....one yard.....2 yards.....no yards......

Now your at 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 8......we had to work TOO HARD to move between the 20's of the field......then when we got their our running game couldnt punch it into the end zone.....and for some reason Hacket wasnt using Chandler as a red zone target.

Lets hope with the improved OL and targets this all changes.

Its that "run it up between the tackles" play every friggen first down.....

first of all.....until this offseason we really didnt have the power back to make that work because they wouldnt use Frank the Tank on that play.....so every 1st down.....one yard.....2 yards.....no yards......

Now your at 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 8......we had to work TOO HARD to move between the 20's of the field......then when we got their our running game couldnt punch it into the end zone.....and for some reason Hacket wasnt using Chandler as a red zone target.

Lets hope with the improved OL and targets this all changes.

I can say with all honesty...The 1st down run plays were the single most frustrating thing for me to watch the entire 2013 season...And there was a LOT of things to be frustrated about...But those failed running plays on 1st down...Over and over again...That had me beyond frustrated... B-)

Our most experienced Wide Receiver is Mike Williams, a man who put up 11 touchdowns in his rookie season, as compared to 3 in two years by Graham.

I agree with most of what you said though. I will say that Hackett impressed me at times. The playcalling he did in the two minute drill comeback against Carolina was inspired. He, for the most part, did a great job in prepping a third stringer to face a very tough defense (at that point) against the chiefs...right until Tuel blew it with, compounded with a horrible play call. Hackett read Jets defense (one of the best in the league, remember) well in their second meeting, and he read the teams's emotions when they got pissed off at Rex Ryan's challenge.One play later, EJ hits Goodwin on the most beautiful pass I saw from him all season for a touchdown.

Of course, Hackett sputtered a lot too. He a rookie OC, and on top of that, he was the QB coach for a rookie QB. This year, there's a division of labor so I hope that a year of seasoning and less on his plate shows some impact.

Hackett had some disadvantages... A rookie QB who kept getting injured... A star WR who was injured... And Hackett himself was a rookie OC.

But I really didn't like how he used CJ. CJ's YPC dropped from 6.0 (2012) to 4.6 (2013). Hackett seemed clueless on how to give CJ the space he needs to show his stuff.

I also didn't like the uptempo offense. An uptempo offense makes sense when you have an offense that can sustain drives. We didn't have that. So instead we just gave our opponents more possessions. This is one reason why our run defense was ranked poorly last year. Thanks to Hackett, our D was on the field a lot and faced a high number of plays.

I was screaming this on TSW last year, especially early on in the season. I mean, that season opener was in the bag and the hurry up offense while ahead of the brady of all qbs was inexcusable. Nearly everyone on this forum came to Hackett's defense, and to paraphrase mugatu, I felt like I was taking crazy pills. The play calling got better as the season progressed, especially when hackett got out of the booth and on the sideline, but this along with crossman are two big concerns for me. After last season I honestly don't know how crossman still has his job

Hackett was put into a difficult position (1st year OC) and he failed the test. If he doesn't improve in year 2 his first and stint as NFL OC will be over.

He is getting help on the field and off so I'm hopeful. The team hired a Sr. Offensive Assistant and a QB coach. The QB coach should have been on board last season; it's Marrone's fault that Nathaniel was on an island. Hopefully he uses both his majordomo & his QB coach to lighten the load...but...unless Hackett has an open mind it won't matter what the other coaches whisper in his ear.

The on the field help is obvious. Things have to work out, but the O-line should be much better, RB should be better (Spiller healthy & better depth), WR should be better.

Crossman cannot do worse.

Schwartz to me us unknown. We know what he's done in the past, but is that what we'll get? Will this be a wide 9 defense (primarily)? Will the team be effective against the run? Will the team be effective against the pass (he blitzes as infrequently as anyone)? Will the players be able to absorb yet another scheme quickly?

I compiled stats last year for the first half of the season, and I shared it on TBD several times...we didnt ALWAYS run it up the gut on first down...but when we did, it tended to lead to 3 and outs almost 60 percent of the time...drives that began with a pass, led to sustained drives (6 plays or more) and points far more frequently than the "jam it up the middle plays"

Hopefully, if we claim to be such an analytically inclined organization, some stat guy is sitting at OBD compiling those same stats that I did and hands his reports to our coaching staff, who in turn say "Duh! Maybe I shouldnt jam it up the middle on more than half of every drive, and mix in some throws, which softens the defense, opens up the run game and leads to points!"

But, EJ absolutely needs to stay healthy and improve so that all around him on offense (and subsequently) defense, can get better

PLAYOFFS!

Hackett was put into a difficult position (1st year OC) and he failed the test. If he doesn't improve in year 2 his first and stint as NFL OC will be over.

He is getting help on the field and off so I'm hopeful. The team hired a Sr. Offensive Assistant and a QB coach. The QB coach should have been on board last season; it's Marrone's fault that Nathaniel was on an island.

This is what I don't get. If such a greenhorn like HAckett needs so much help to run the offense, why keep him as OC? It makes no logical sense. A team LOADED with young players needs a guy who has done this before.

What's the best reason to keep Hackett, in Marrone's mind? Anyone want to veture a guess?

This is what I don't get. If such a greenhorn like HAckett needs so much help to run the offense, why keep him as OC? It makes no logical sense. A team LOADED with young players needs a guy who has done this before.

What's the best reason to keep Hackett, in Marrone's mind? Anyone want to veture a guess?

hes his buddy

he sees potential in hackett that could really be true and we could see flourish and benefit from it

we wont know until after this season

hes his buddy

he sees potential in hackett that could really be true and we could see flourish and benefit from it

we wont know until after this season

I was really hoping for something other than best buddies. The problem is that with no head coaching experience himself, Marrone relied on his friendship to pick a crucial part of his staff. Did he even interview anyone else?

This is what he said before hiring Hackett:

"Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. I think our coordinators we want to make sure they’ve been in this league."

"Oh well, scrap that. I'll take Nate Hackett."

I think the biggest help will be the coaching additions.

The team has a former WR coach and asst OC helping out (Hostler) in addition to a QB coach, which should help Hackett focus more on game planning.

I also like that there are 3 defensive coaches with coordinator experience in Schwartz, Pagac, and Henderson.

Regarding the tempo. Hackett slowed the tempo down as the year went on, while keeping the no huddle aspects. I think it was a solid adjustment, and shows that he's flexible. Multiple games, they also made adjustments in the second half.

I'm hopeful that he'll grow.

That being said, he needs to better utilize CJ in the screen and receiving game. Along with better runs for him.

You are forgetting that our #1 receiver will be a rookie and that our defensive will be playing yet another scheme (5th scheme in 5 years or so?). Then there is also the matter of the o-line performance and with that our RB performance. This team has the talent to go far but it may as well bottom out next year. Good betting year imho.