RD2, Pick #44: T Cyrus Kouandjio - University of Alabama

SDS

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently, I have been called out on this board for knowing nothing about football. No problem :). That said, As a life long Crimson Tide Fan, I have watched virtually every game the Kouandjio has ever played, so I offer a few thoughts. NOT gospel truths......THOUGHTS.

1)In 2012, he did play LT for the Tide on the best OL in the history of college football. I think that Coach Saban put him there because he knew that he would be losing Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack and DJ Fluker. He was their 4th best blocker at the time. Sorry, it's true.

2) He is agile. I don't care about his measurable skills. And he is strong.

3) The kid is very smart. And he is NOT a person who I expect to get in trouble. One never knows but I have heard him talk and he seems like a HUGE character guy. He was born in Africa and in interviews he expresses BIG TIME love for America.

4) I think that he is more suited for RT than LT in the NFL. But the really good news is that he is an experienced LT. He played LT at the very best college program in the country. If Glenn gets hurt, this kid offers us a chance to not fall apart. This is huge my friends. HUGE!!!

5) The bad news is he is rumored to have health issues but who knows?

6) In all, I love the fact that they took him AND got an extra pick in the process. Sorry folks, I didn't like the Watkins deal, but between the SJ trade and this selection, it is far less painful.

7) Lets make the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) ROLL Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last I checked FSU was the best team in the country. Nice try Chief...

Cyrus - garappolo - amaro - Landry

I think we won round 2 too.... Not as widely as r1 but still like how were stacking up

It's so strange to me...In the first 3 Buddy years I never felt like I knew what they were up to...But these last two years have been far more stable and clear to me...Last year I wanted EJ and Woods...They got EJ, Kiko, and Woods...This year I wanted Evans and Kouandjio (though I fully admit I did not think he would slide that far...)...They got Watkins and Kouandjio...

For better or worse Whaley and I seem to agree a lot...I think Whaley should be concerned about that... :lol:

It's so strange to me...In the first 3 Buddy years I never felt like I knew what they were up to...But these last two years have been far more stable and clear to me...Last year I wanted EJ and Woods...They got EJ, Kiko, and Woods...This year I wanted Evans and Kouandjio (though I fully admit I did not think he would slide that far...)...They got Watkins and Kouandjio...

For better or worse Whaley and I seem to agree a lot...I think Whaley should be concerned about that... :lol:

I feel ya. Way fewer wtf moments the last two years when compared to the Nix era. It always felt like a game before. Whaley doesn't screw around.

Ive only read a few pages in this thread, but ESPN had NOTHING good to say about him except he's huge and can be taught. Otherwise, the 4 guys on the panel all laid into him for being slow, easily beat by smaller rushers, weak and not agile. Seriously, it was such a universal diss job I wondered why they didn't go off on how stupid we are.. Maybe because Saban visited the dias yesterday. Anyway, if Whaley, Marrone & Co like him at RT, then lets see what he can do. Edit: They did say he was smart..

I agree with you a lot...and that concerns ME! (j/k) ;)

Ive only read a few pages in this thread, but ESPN had NOTHING good to say about him except he's huge and can be taught. Otherwise, the 4 guys on the panel all laid into him for being slow, easily beat by smaller rushers, weak and not agile. Seriously, it was such a universal diss job I wondered why they didn't go off on how stupid we are.. Maybe because Saban visited the dias yesterday. Anyway, if Whaley, Marrone & Co like him at RT, then lets see what he can do. Edit: They did say he was smart..

And what did these same chucklheads say about Cordy, who ended up playing LT for the Bills and not RT like CK will be doing?

Yes...the smaller guys he got beat by according to Whaley were 6' 2" 190 lb players that don't exist in the NFL...

Ive only read a few pages in this thread, but ESPN had NOTHING good to say about him except he's huge and can be taught. Otherwise, the 4 guys on the panel all laid into him for being slow, easily beat by smaller rushers, weak and not agile. Seriously, it was such a universal diss job I wondered why they didn't go off on how stupid we are.. Maybe because Saban visited the dias yesterday. Anyway, if Whaley, Marrone & Co like him at RT, then lets see what he can do.

Just imagine how much they would have loved him if NE had grabbed him.

#24 on Mike Mayock's top 100

FSU was the better team this year, but Alabama is without question the better program.

How so? Both are football factories who have won the previous two national titles. FSU will be ranked ahead of them in preseason and by all accounts(FSU's heisman QB to Bama's' yet to be named starter) should be as good if not better. You mean historically? If so, means very little. RIGHT NOW debating FSU and Bama's status in the sport is splitting hairs.

Whaley brought up that people will say he gets beat by smaller DEs, but they aren't worried because he won't be playing smaller DEs in the NFL

Chandler Jones plays very small. He is a big dude but he plays very small, and it's not necessarily just leverage, it is compact swift movement.

Jones is going to eat up Kounwhateverhisnameisthatihavetonowlearnbutshouldnothavetobecauseishouldspendtimeonmoreimportantthingsanyway

Chandler Jones plays very small. He is a big dude but he plays very small, and it's not necessarily just leverage, it is compact swift movement.

Jones is going to eat up Kounwhateverhisnameisthatihavetonowlearnbutshouldnothavetobecauseishouldspendtimeonmoreimportantthingsanyway

I know I got to spend time on more important things also, but that names a killer.

Don't know if this was already posted but this is from Gil Brandt before the draft.

Wildcard: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

Previous rank: 15

Measured 6-foot-7 and 321 pounds at his pro day, and ran 5.42 and 5.53 seconds in the 40. Some issues remain concerning Kouandjio's knee, but Dr. James Andrews, the renown orthopedic surgeon, tried to alleviate them with a letter he sent to all 32 teams, explaining how many years he expected the tackle to be able to play. Kouandjio needs work on his pass protection vs. speed rushers, but is still a good player. If you have any doubt put on the LSU tape from this year; he was dominating. He had 25 lifts at his pro day but was only credited with 21 because he didn't "lock out" on four attempts. I could see him going as high as 20th overall in the draft. Could be a perfect pick for a team like the Seahawks at the back end of the first round.