WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we need only one good receiver on the team?

This is akin to the falcons going - Well we have Julio Jones now....time for Roddy White to go.

Woods, Williams and Goodwin are all better than whoever Atlanta's third option was when they drafted Jones.

Good luck to Stevie in San Fran. Like him as a player, but sometimes you just need a fresh start. Hope they lose to us in the Super Bowl this year. :D All the rest of you that are on the brink, step away from the ledge because it isn't that bad. We still have a good group of WR's and we have no idea what Stevie and Doug talked about behind closed doors. I'm pretty sure Doug did his best to accomodate Stevie in brokering a deal with the 49ers. Best to him going back home and I wish him success.

This is how I look at it too. I really didn't want him to be traded, but now that he has, it just seems right for everyone. I think the Bills really look good too, sending him to a contender in his hometown. He wasn't in their plans, that is just business with new regime, but they treated him right and I think it is a win-win. I didn't want to lose the only real vet on the team but I think Woods is a polished guy (except for "the punch" but it was against the Fish in a blowout so I don't mind as much) and can be that guy along with our new #1 WR even though a rookie, is used to being "the man." Edited by YoloinOhio

Great for Stevie. Half of the fans never apperciated how he went from a 7th round to 3 time 1,000 yard season. Now he gets to play for a great team in his hometown. But hey what do the 49ers know about talent?

The worst part is the biggest Stevie haters will be trashing the Bills after SJ has a good season. I hate this move so much.

Relax man, where was he going to play? With Watkins at #1, Williams at #2 and Woods at #3, Stevie would have had to fight for playing time. I think we are stronger with those three than we have been in years. I wish Stevie well. I liked him, but he and the Bills needed to move on. Good luck to Stevie In SF and Go Bills!

Why do we need only one good receiver on the team?

This is akin to the falcons going - Well we have Julio Jones now....time for Roddy White to go.

Not even close to the same! Stevie is no Roddy White! As people have mentioned prior, Stevie was the 3rd, 4th or 5th WR on our roster for NEXT year. Roddy is either the Falcons 1B or #2. Apples to oranges. Embrace the change and winning culture coming. Stevie couldn't!

How can anyone support this? We just traded our best WR for a 4th round pick next season.

Same old spinning-wheel Bills.

PS: How is it that Stevies Cap number is an issue for the Bills (who stink with very little talent) but not an issue for the 9ers (great team loaded with talent)

And people wonder why the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 14 years. Might as well make the 15 (and 16)

And $30 Million under the cap last season.

Right. We have Sammy Watkins at the cost of this years 1st round pick. Now what happened to next years 1st and 4th? They don't count towards that cost?

The Bills traded next year's 1st and 4th for the rights to swap this year's 1st round picks with Cleveland. Does that make it easier to follow?

How do you think the Eagles fans feel that they cut their #1 WR and got nothing in return? And he is now in their division. SJ wasn't close to the same player and they got a 4th rounder and he is in the opposite conference.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not even close to the same! Stevie is no Roddy White! As people have mentioned prior, Stevie was the 3rd, 4th or 5th WR on our roster for NEXT year. Roddy is either the Falcons 1B or #2. Apples to oranges. Embrace the change and winning culture coming. Stevie couldn't!

Dead on.

It's much more akin to the Falcons saying "Ok, we have Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Robert Woods, we can get rid of Harry Douglas."

A good coach solves the trust issue EJ had with SJ instead of just letting him be dealt away.

Would be ironic if we make it to the big one and end up versus the niners and SJ makes the winning TD heh.

Broke? Who's saying anything about broke...

You don't know what happened between EJ and SJ, what the coach did to try to solve the problem, or the specific issues between the two of them.

If SJ catches the winning touchdown pass, then they were wrong.

My point is that this happens all the time in the NFL. Ask the Colts (a winning organization, right?) how the Trent Richardson trade worked out.

I would suggest a visit to other teams' message boards after one of their veteran players is traded.

Edited by gobillsinytown

This is a GREAT move for BOTH the Bills and Stevie.

1. Bills get back a 4th which can be a 3rd. That makes the cost of Watkins even better.

2. Stevie, who I would put as 5th on our depth chart here after Watkins was taken will fit in nicely and should have a good career in SF. Im not saying he was the 5th best WR here, I am saying Woods and Watkins are your starters, Goodwin brings a unique skill set that no other WR can bring in the slot by taking off the top of the D so he compliments the 2 starters better. Same with Mike Williams who brings a size aspect none of our guys have. So I think the combo of those two playing opposite Woods and Watkins has more potential than Stevie in there.

3. This takes any potential drama out of the equation going into the season.

4. This opens up playing time for our 3 promising young WR's in Watkins, Woods, and Goodwin so they can further developl.

5. Stevie doesn't have to be the man in SF and should be a very useful and productive weapon on that talented offense.

Its a win win win for Bills, Niners, and Stevie. I really like this trade.

Thanks for the years Stevie...wish you the best even though I support this trade.

Right. We have Sammy Watkins at the cost of this years 1st round pick. Now what happened to next years 1st and 4th? They don't count towards that cost?

I just corrected your incorrect statement. We do have our 1st round pick, his name is Sammy Watkins. We just had to give up next years 1st and 4th to move up to get him.

Best of luck Stevie. He was a great success story with the Bills. He was a good player with the Bills, but never reached a higher level than that. Unfortunately, he also came up pretty small in huge moments.

The time to move on is now.

Edited by bobobonators

This is a good trade. SF gets a good #2 WR, Bills get a mid round draft pick in 2015 and the log jam at WR is being cleared. I liked Stevie and defended him last year when many were fed up with his antics and wanted him gone. Watkins, as a talent, has been said to be the top Offensive player in the draft. Guys like that get penciled in the starting line up. Woods was the #2 and Stevie would have been the slot. Now Williams could be that guy. This is not like in years past were there was a lack of talent at the position. WR was the deepest on the Bills. I wished he stayed and wish him well and good luck in SF. Life goes on and my view is the Bills are improving. You want to get depressed? Listen to WGR. The gloom and doom twins will entertain the pants off you. GO BILLS!