Redskins Protest

oman128

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I root for a team called the Fighting Irish.

How come the sensitive sallys are never concerned with the image of an angry leprechaun looking to fight someone as a representation of Irish people?

Perhaps if the Irish lived in relative peace and harmony for millions of years and then out of the blue a foreign culture came in and methodically eradicated them utilizing means of mass genocide rendering the few remaining Irish who were never given an opportunity to adjust to this new culture in a corner of South Dakota with very little means to fend for themselves, and meanwhile this new culture invented a silly game where men hit each other and throw around a ball made of pigskin and they used an offensive term for the Irish (which Irish, clearly, is not an offensive term) as a team name in their game and still to this day, in South Dakota, the Irish were completely forgotten about, were and still are living in abject squalor, their promises of peace and treaties long since ignored and their once proud culture destroyed forever, then maybe you would be offended by that as well. Edited by metzelaars_lives

No one ever complained about Notre Dame's nickname or mascot.

It's a slippery slope to begin trying to alleviate everyone's problems through forced action. Who exactly is the arbiter for these debates and how far can they go?

Perhaps if the Irish lived in relative peace and harmony for millions of years and then out of the blue a foreign culture came in and methodically eradicated them utilizing means of mass genocide rendering the few remaining Irish who were never given an opportunity to adjust to this new culture in a corner of South Dakota with very little means to fend for themselves, and meanwhile this new culture invented a silly game where men hit each other and throw around a ball made of pigskin and they used an offensive term for the Irish (which Irish, clearly, is not an offensive term) as a team name in their game and still to this day, in South Dakota, the Irish were completely forgotten about, were and still are living in abject squalor, their promises of peace and treaties long since ignored and their once proud culture destroyed forever, then maybe you would be offended by that as well.

I'll preface my comment that I think the Redskins name should be changed, both because it is kind of offensive and also I find humor in any chance of screwing over Dan Snyder.

Anyhow, Metzelaars_Lives, I think there are plenty of similarities with the Irish and what you mentioned about Native Americans above. If you took out "South Dakota" and inserted "Ireland" and added the "British" after "foreign culture" you'd have a pretty accurate representation of Ireland the last thousands of years (and to some extent the first few generations of Irish Americans in this country, who were called "apes," "drunks," "subhumans," and yes "fighters."

The reason why the "Fighting Irish" is acceptable and the "Redskins" is not is because the folks at Notre Dame who picked the name were for the most part actually Irish Americans who I believe attempted to take ownership of a common slur against them. The Redskins, as we all know, was created by a racist white owner who didn't allow blacks on his team until 1970 and then tried to revise history by saying it was done in honor of their first coach.

Just my two cents...

Edited by TheLynchTrain

I don't think many people have a problem with something that'd be equivalent to that... like say the Florida Seminoles. The problem is "redskin" is a racist term for Native Americans/American Indians. Its kinda like someone a n*gger, sand n*gger, wetback, yellow, etc etc etc.

I think you mean the Florida State Seminoles

Perhaps if the Irish lived in relative peace and harmony for millions of years and then out of the blue a foreign culture came in and methodically eradicated them utilizing means of mass genocide rendering the few remaining Irish who were never given an opportunity to adjust to this new culture in a corner of South Dakota with very little means to fend for themselves, and meanwhile this new culture invented a silly game where men hit each other and throw around a ball made of pigskin and they used an offensive term for the Irish (which Irish, clearly, is not an offensive term) as a team name in their game and still to this day, in South Dakota, the Irish were completely forgotten about, were and still are living in abject squalor, their promises of peace and treaties long since ignored and their once proud culture destroyed forever, then maybe you would be offended by that as well.

I don't care one way or the other, If the Native Americans en mass deem it racist it should be changed.

That said, your belief that Native Americans "lived in relative peace and harmony for millions years" is silly. There were wars between tribes just as there is/was in any civilization. That should in no way influence whether the name should change or not.

I'd congratulate the kid for sticking to his ideals. He'd likely lose millions of dollars in the fiasco.

Hopefully the NFL forces Washington to change their name soon.

The NFL can't, but you know that.

What if the player who is drafted by the Redskins, hugs Goodell then says, he won't sign,play or report for Washington until they change the racist name of the team.

What would the Commish do ?

What would ESPN do?

Talk about drama, his Facebook and Twitter would blow up. Even Putin might like it.

The commish should step back & tell him to go piss up a rope !! Then he should tell him to take his happy ass to Canada & play for the CFL or stay in the states & play for the arena league cause the NFL don't need you !!

This country is becoming way to politically correct & sensitive … Get over it !!

Edited by T master

No one ever complained about Notre Dame's nickname or mascot.

It's a slippery slope to begin trying to alleviate everyone's problems through forced action. Who exactly is the arbiter for these debates and how far can they go?

the existence of a single white mascot doesn't invalidate the notion that numerous native american mascots are racist or offensive.

generally, i think it's up to the impacted party to determine whether or not they are offended by something. i've never heard anyone complain about the notre dame name/mascot and know of no effort or movement to change it. in fact, my irish friends seem to think it's cool. regardless, just because irish people are not offended by the notre dame mascot, it doesn't mean native american groups can't be offended by the redskins. it's a false equivalency.

The Irish Potato Famine resulted in 1.1 million - 1.5 million deaths from 1846 - 1851. There were several factors which, collectively, resulted in these famine deaths.

• The potato blight. This blight swept across all of Europe. But only in Ireland did it cause famine or famine-related deaths.
  • Ireland produced a food surplus. Back when Ireland had been free (in the 1700s), the Irish government responded to worsening food conditions by outlawing the export of food. This measure prevented famine. During the 1840s and '50s, the British government did not undertake a similar measure. As a result, Ireland was a net exporter of food during the Potato Famine.
  • British economic exploitation of the Irish meant that the Irish lacked the money with which to purchase their own food on the world market.
  • Britain increased its level of economic exploitation during the Potato Famine; with new taxes intended to punish landowners who harbored starving Irish.
  • Britain's aid to Ireland was utterly inadequate; and did not even begin to address the problem.
  • Britain discouraged or forbade other nations from sending aid to the starving Irish. Partly this was because foreign aid would draw attention to the fact that Britain could not or would not feed starving people within its own empire. And partly this was because there were those in the British government who saw the famine as a hidden opportunity to alter the demographics of Ireland.

John Mitchel wrote the following, "I have called it an artificial famine: that is to say, it was a famine which desolated a rich and fertile island that produced every year abundance and superabundance to sustain all her people and many more. The English, indeed, call the famine a 'dispensation of Providence;' and ascribe it entirely to the blight on potatoes. But potatoes failed in like manner all over Europe; yet there was no famine save in Ireland. The British account of the matter, then, is first, a fraud; second, a blasphemy. The Almighty, indeed, sent the potato blight, but the English created the famine."

Ireland's population had been 8 million before the Potato Famine. As a result of starvation and emigration, its population fell to 4 million. By 1990 its population had climbed back up to 5.5 million.

I don't care one way or the other, If the Native Americans en mass deem it racist it should be changed.

That said, your belief that Native Americans "lived in relative peace and harmony for millions years" is silly. There were wars between tribes just as there is/was in any civilization. That should in no way influence whether the name should change or not.

I am actually quite familiar with Native American history. I studied it a lot in College (at Canisius), frequently read books on the subject (am currently wrapping up Empire of the Summer Moon about the Comanches) and have been to Pine Ridge in South Dakota a handful of times. It's what struck a nerve with me and prompted me to respond in such a manner. Anyway, that's why I used the word "relative." As a very, very general rule, Native Americans often warred with neighboring tribes but battles tended to be more for sport (and horses) and involved relatively few casualties. Again, I said general rule, so please do not pick out an exception (the Comanches in particular were a savage people) and throw it at me. But I think we're kind of on the same page. Personally, I think the Cleveland Indians logo is way more offensive than the Redskins name but I agree that it's kind of their call to say whether it offends them or not.

I'll preface my comment that I think the Redskins name should be changed, both because it is kind of offensive and also I find humor in any chance of screwing over Dan Snyder.

Anyhow, Metzelaars_Lives, I think there are plenty of similarities with the Irish and what you mentioned about Native Americans above. If you took out "South Dakota" and inserted "Ireland" and added the "British" after "foreign culture" you'd have a pretty accurate representation of Ireland the last thousands of years (and to some extent the first few generations of Irish Americans in this country, who were called "apes," "drunks," "subhumans," and yes "fighters."

The reason why the "Fighting Irish" is acceptable and the "Redskins" is not is because the folks at Notre Dame who picked the name were for the most part actually Irish Americans who I believe attempted to take ownership of a common slur against them. The Redskins, as we all know, was created by a racist white owner who didn't allow blacks on his team until 1970 and then tried to revise history by saying it was done in honor of their first coach.

Just my two cents...

Uhh dude, there's still an Ireland and there's still Irish people. I know lots of them that do quite well for themselves. Again, I never said that the Irish did not have their share of persecution throughout history- no one would dispute that- but these are two totally different scenarios. I've been to Ireland, it was beautiful. People were happy and the towns I visited were thriving. I implore you to visit Pine Ridge one day, or hey, go on youtube, search Pine Ridge and watch a few videos to get a better perspective on what has happened to the Native Americans and their culture.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Whoa where am I???

I passed out reading that sentence without taking a breath.

Riiiiiiight... :lol:

You're a Wednesday.