trade up, trade down, stay put...

At the end of the day, the right answer (as best anyone can tell on draft day), this depends entirely on whether they thing who they can get in a trade up is better than who they think they can get by holding onto their current picks or with the picks they'd acquire by trading down.

My $.02 worth is as follows:

1. If they think that Clowney is another Bruce Smith or Watkins is another Larry Fitzgerald, then trading up makes sense - even if it costs next year's #1.

2. If they think that staying put and grabbing Mike Evans/Eric Ebron would provide a significant upgrade in receiving options - AND they think they can get a good OT in round 2, then staying put makes sense in my mind.

3. If they think that trading back allows them to get 3 good starters at 3 of: WR/TE, OT, OG, DE, S, ILB then I think this would be the best option.

IMHO, this draft should be about finding the best players possible regardless of position, but with a slight emphasis on offense.

I do think that the OL would benefit from an upgrade at RT, but that depends on whether they think Pears can play better (was he hurt last year?) and whether any of the available players are any better.

They really could use a dynamic receiving option to allow Woods, Goodwin, Johnson and Williams to play off of. Scott Chandler is an adequate receiver at TE, is Ebron much better? We all love Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans, but at what price and are they that much better than someone the Bills might be able to get in round 2 (Jason Mathews, Sefarian-Jenkins, Benjamin, Robinson, Lattimore, Landry, etc...

I think that improving the pass blocking and run blocking in round 1 with a receiving option in round 2 would help EJ Manuel maximize his talent more than Watkins/Evans/Ebron would.

Thoughts, dissenting opinions???

I only see trading up this year as a smart move for a franchisee QB. A QB is the only player that can single handily move a team forward to being Super Bowl competitive. I see no Brady, no Luck, no Manning, or similar player who is even close to a sure shot. (yes, I know Brady was not even such a consideration during his draft year).

If a team is just one player away from a Super Bowl, then it might make sense. The Bills are far from being just one player away from being in that position. I don't see any ONE player that will possibly make the Bills be a Super Bowl favorite.

It would make more sense to trade down in this deep draft and hope to get a couple impact players this year that might just put the Bills in the position in next years draft to be just that one player away.

A very good player is going to be there at #9. Probably one of the 7 elite players everyone is talking about. A lot depends on Manziel, Carr and Bortles. The more I think about it, I really want Buffalo to stay put.

I think a lot will depend on what Houston does. Lets say Houston takes a QB first, there might be a run on QB's after St.Louis (or maybe St. Louis is able to sell their pick) as QB needy teams scramble to get "their" guy. I could see that pushing these elite guys down towards the Bills.

But if Houston doesn't select a QB and St. Louis makes their pick, if the Bills want to get one of these elite guys, they are going to have to trade up.

I think if the Bills signed a quality OT in free agency this year, I would feel better about them giving up a second round pick but thats not the way it turned out.

I feel we need to address RT in the second round after addressing WR/TE in round 1

CBF

1st choice...trade back (unless someone great falls or a great player high on their draft board is there)

2nd choice...stay put

3rd choice...trade up

4. Blow sh*t up. Trade all picks for Ricky Williams

Trade back I like Dallas as they may want to move up for a DT or Trade back with cleveland to get their 3nd first round pick that will give them the qb the want.

I wanted them to trade back again last year a second time to get more players.

A very good player is going to be there at #9. Probably one of the 7 elite players everyone is talking about. A lot depends on Manziel, Carr and Bortles. The more I think about it, I really want Buffalo to stay put.

That is my fear, that none of the QB's are going to get picked, and the really elite players will all be gone. If that happens, I say, find a dance partner, trade the 9th pick away for a decently slotted 1st round pick, and other depth picks.

I think if the Bills signed a quality OT in free agency this year, I would feel better about them giving up a second round pick but thats not the way it turned out.

or, Chris Hairston that guy???

my $.02 worth is as follows:

1. If they think that Clowney is another Bruce Smith or Watkins is another Larry Fitzgerald, then trading up makes sense - even if it costs next year's #1

What it cost to trade up to different picks based upon the draft value chart

1........... entire draft 2014 and 2015 plus a 2nd in 2016?

2... ..........1st, 2nd, & 4th this year, next year's 1st

3.............1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks

4.............1st, 2nd round and 5th round pick

5.............1st, 3rd and 4th round pick

6.............1st, 3rd and 7th round pick

7.............1st, 4th, 5th and 7th round pick

8.............1st, 5th and 7th round pick

9................nothing

Sorry, but trading up is very costly althought the chartt way overranks the first 3 picks. I would guess that to get Clowney (didn't he get 3 sacks last year in college?) would probably "only" cost our first 4 picks this year and our first 3 picks next year. Basically, we would not have a pick in the top 100 for two years, which means we would be down 5-7 decent or very good starting players for two years. That would be death for the franchise.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

This is where it gets scary for fans. You have to trust the front office of the Bills entirely. If they feel they are one player away, on either side of the ball, from winning the division, then you go for it. It's not about "winning the super bowl," per se, it's more about just making it to the playoffs and hoping the team you built gets hot and wins 3-4 games in a row--but that process starts by beating the Patriots and winning at least the 4 seed in the AFC.

I don't know if the Bills are 1 player away, but I work in a different field than NFL talent analysis. In fact, I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion on more than 1 or 2 players--a position which I'm guessing (if we're being honest) 99% of football fans fall into. I watch the Bills for enjoyment. With that in mind, the further the Bills trade up, the more enjoyable this draft is going to be for me.

Move up to one and bring JFF to buffalo--why not?

9................nothing

Sorry, but trading up is very costly althought the chartt way overranks the first 3 picks. I would guess that to get Clowney (didn't he get 3 sacks last year in college?) would probably "only" cost our first 4 picks this year and our first 3 picks next year. Basically, we would not have a pick in the top 100 for two years, which means we would be down 5-7 decent or very good starting players for two years. That would be death for the franchise.

I agree with this. The Bills are not in a position to trade away their best resources. Not at all. And, what happens if the player they trade up for gets hurt? Or if EJ is a bust? These things are possible.

Yeah, the very last thing (almost) I want to see is the Bills trading up.

If none of the QBs are picked, will the Bills give it a chance with Maziel?

This is nothing but a hunch, but imo Houston wants Johnny Football. I don't think that they want him at #1. I think they would like to pick up some extra picks and take him.

I suspect this because if he turns out to be good, the GM will be fired due to fan backlash and the owner missing out on millions of dollars.

Again, just a hunch.

Edited by Bill from NYC

9................nothing

I don't know if I agree with this chart, seeing as Miami went from the 12th pick to the 3rd pick with swapping 1st's and a 2nd. That's a move of 9 spots and getting into the top 5 for a 2nd rd pick.

I'm not saying that that's what it would take to get to #1 spot, but I also don't think they want to get to the #1spot. If they could get to the #4/5 spot, so Cleveland or Oakland, could only cost a 3rd round pick. And besides Goodwin, the Bills haven't been exactly knocking them out of the park in the 3rd round (Graham, Sheppard, Carrington, Ellis, Youboty, etc.)

If something comes out that Jville, Cleveland. Or another team top 12 wants Manziel we would be in prime position. Dallas would want to move up and someone always comes from no where to the top 7. Thatd be good talent dropping down. Talent we may not need. We could more easily go back. I'd almost move out of the first to get a first next year and a second this year if it is an early second.

I'd go ASJ if he is there. And Hyde with the other 2nd. Everyone knows we are getting a TE in the first 3 rounds. Thatwill be part of what I figure will turn in to a run. And we will then see 3 RB's reached for early.