All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on gods green earth does a 6-10 team with a corps of 2nd year QB's, and a bad O line see themselves as playoff contenders? I literally had a good laugh when I read that remark.

Why not.... They were 6-10 last year with 4 losses by just one score or less.

And they improved at LG, significantly so with LB corp, and at WR and CB. Only worse at FS.

Woods and kiko, were great as rookies and will only be better. EJ will likely be much better as well.

Coach and OC have their rookie year behind them. Question mark will be Schwarz, but he's been successful.

So they can easily make an argument they expect to be better, and better should mean a playoff contender.... And we've yet to factor in the draft which will only help this case.

I expect them to be better. Why not?

What two draft picks? They trade SJ13 and a 2nd in this scenario. They swap 9 for 4. So it's not actually giving up a first because

they get a first back.

You're right. However, it really is like trading two picks, because the Browns still get a high first rounder and a second rounder and a proven wr for only trading a few spots. Seems like a horrible idea.

depending on how deep you mean, i think you may get different answers from the front office if asked. i think they see themselves as playoff contenders, and with 1 more impact player perhaps someone that could even win a game once there.

add that impact player, and still get a RT, or TE in the 3rd and i think they would be quite alright.

whether you agree with that take, i think its where they see themselves.

Adding an impact WR and RT/TE will still leave some holes at G and LB which could be exploited by opposing teams. This weakness could potentially undo the goodness of adding a WR. And note that the original post claims StevieJ will be part of this maneuver. Which means we will be thin on experience as well on the receving front.

All in all, I don't agree that we are a playoff caliber team if we give up our 2nd and Stevie (and note I am not a big Stevie fan and yet hold this opinion). I much rather draft a WR/TE, LB and G with our (current) top picks.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I really like Sammy Watkins, but that is a lot to give up in a very deep draft -- especially when there should be a very good player available for us at 9. We would be giving up three pretty darn good players (Stevie and whoever would be available with our first and second pick) for Sammy.

Agreed...It's too lopsided...

If it was Stevie and the Bills 3rd or 4th then I would be OK with it...But I have the distinct feeling that a couple years down the road when we see what was available at #41 this will look like a terrible idea...I've messed around with a bunch of these simulations this year using all kids of different big boards...And every time I simulated a Draft for the Bills I was shocked at the names I could choose from that slipped through to #41...Kiko went #46 overall last year in a Draft that everyone and their mother agrees was a MUCH thinner talent pool when compared to this year...I just don't see how it's possible that Sammie Watkins can be worth whoever we can get at #9 and #41 combined...There's just no way in my mind...Furthermore I would MUCH rather trade down and pick up another 2nd because the depth in this Draft is so good... B-)

You have to think that SJ - with his age, contract amount, and injury history - has at most one year left with the Bills.

So would you trade 1 year of SJ, plus your 1st and 2nd round picks, for A.J. Green or Julio Jones 3 years ago?

I think I would.

If the Bills feel that they are one potentially impactful offensive player away from the playoffs then yes, you make the move.

Do you feel that the Bills are one potentially impactful player away from the playoffs?

Needs still remaining without a 2nd round pick: O-line starter, DE (we need a starter), RB (FJ's age, CJ's health), TE (starter would be nice), LB--need depth in the middle (potential starter down the road w/ Spikes on a 1 year deal), OLB--need depth, DB--need depth (plus who starts at safety), O-line depth.

If the Bills feel that they are one potentially impactful offensive player away from the playoffs then yes, you make the move.

Do you feel that the Bills are one potentially impactful player away from the playoffs?

Needs still remaining without a 2nd round pick: O-line starter, DE (we need a starter), RB (FJ's age, CJ's health), TE (starter would be nice), LB--need depth in the middle (potential starter down the road w/ Spikes on a 1 year deal), OLB--need depth, DB--need depth (plus who starts at safety), O-line depth.

I'm actually looking at it differently. I don't view it necessarily as a "win now" move. You're getting the opportunity to lock up an elite playmaker at a cap-friendly rate for five years. You're giving up a declining, overpaid vet and a second round pick that may or may not work out (and only gets a four-year deal, right?). You gotta take that opportunity if it presents itself.

I'm actually looking at it differently. I don't view it necessarily as a "win now" move. You're getting the opportunity to lock up an elite playmaker at a cap-friendly rate for five years. You're giving up a declining, overpaid vet and a second round pick that may or may not work out (and only gets a four-year deal, right?). You gotta take that opportunity if it presents itself.

& you're losing the 41st pick in a deep draft in the process...that will leave the team with one less cap friendly contract.

Start convincing me now that Watkins is worth all of the chatter surrounding him. Obviously people who know football, scouts, FO coaches etc. like the guy if what we read is to be believed...I just can't get over the hurdle that more than 50% of his receptions last season began at or behind the line of scrimmage. That won't be the case in the NFL.

Is he a polished route runner?

Does he have excellent hands?

Can he disengage from tight coverage?

These are honest questions that I'm interested in getting feedback on.

I don't watch much college ball either so I'd like to add another question to your list - what are his ball skills like? Does he go up and get it at its highest point or does he wait for it to come into his body?

That’s a lot to give up to move up 4 spots so he better be more than a 1 trick pony. Basically, he better be able to do some of the things that guys like AJ Green, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitz do like go up over double coverage and bring in a pass in. If he can do that, I’d be ok with this trade; if not then I think the price is too steep.

I would have no problem with it if we didnt have to give up our 2nd round pick this year.

Then again...look what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones and that move paid off for them

CBF

First things first... Atlanta was coming off of a 13-3 year when they drafted Jones and they were 9-7, and 11-5 in the 2 years prior to that. They were CLOSE, so grabbing that one "key" player would make sense... their thought process was that their 2 first rounders that they were giving up for him were gonna be around #30... TOTALLY different that picking in the top 10 like we do almost every year. Secondly... did they give up too much? This link questions the results...

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/10/did-the-falcons-give-up-too-much-for-julio-jones-in-the-2011-draft-day-trade/

I would have no problem with it if we didnt have to give up our 2nd round pick this year.

Then again...look what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones and that move paid off for them

CBF

funny that they traded with Cleveland as well.

here is what Atlanta gave up to go from 27 to 6. way bigger jump then 9 to 4.

The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round because they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012.

I agree with you, and for a couple of reasons. I really don't think this staff likes Stevie much (for better or worse), and I also think that Watkins is a true blue chip, difference-making player. The Bills need elite playmakers, and I think a serviceable RT can be had in the third. I think it's a pretty fair trade for the Bills -- they give up a second round pick and a player they don't seem to really want around for an elite pick. Ebron is not an elite player, and I won't be surprised if Matthews and Robinson are gone by the time #9 rolls around.

Edited by dave mcbride

I wrote this in another thread, but looking at it I don't think it's pick #4 that the Bills are trading for if they are adding SJ13...it's got to be pick #1 or #2..but anyways heres what I wrote:

I think it all depends on the teams doing the trade...look at some of last years trades:

Miami trades pick #12 and #42 for Raiders #3 - this would be most like what Bills are trying to do...Miami switched 1st round picks and gave up their second round pick to move up 9 spots into the top 3...Buffalo's #9 is worth more then Miamis #12, so i could see Bills swapping firsts and giving a 3rd for Cleveland's #4 moving only 5 spots down with the difference in points being much less then what Miami and Raiders had last year.

Buffalo trades #8 and #71 for Rams #16, #46, #78 and #222 - this is a swap of 2 picks in 2 different rounds with Rams giving up a 2nd and a 6th or 7th

Cowboys trade #18 for 49ers #31 and #74 - 49ers move up 12 spots for a switch of 1st's and a 3rd round pick