4/25/14: Doug Whaley WGR Interview/Bills' Pre-Draft Presser

:lol:

So Whaley gives a completely general stock quote that every GM gives when interviewed and that's vindication for Prisco?...Whatever...

OK...Pete...You were right...Whaley did not guarantee 100% that there was no way the Bills would trade up in the Draft...Goodness... :doh:

It's like this is the first time Prisco and Rapaport have ever covered a draft. Good grief.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The division was a lot different back then. There was no modern day Pats or anything equivalent. It was a division full of mediocre slop.

Like most people that aren't Pats fans, I detest Belicheat and his brand of "morality" and ethics, but as long as he's coaching that team with Brady at the helm they'll overachieve regularly and win the division.

Ryan's a very good coach too.

If you don't think that the coaching in the AFCE is good now, it was worse back then.

The division was led by a team whose QB was setting records in the passing game. Marino was prolific to say the least. He set a passing record that stood for nearly 30 years in an era not nearly as friendly to QBs. There were definitely similarities to the Brady-led Pats* of today. Polian acquired Bennett for one reason and one reason only: to pressure Marino and force Miami to find a different way to beat us. And it worked. As a case in point, in his 3rd game with us, the Bills stopped Marino's then record for most consecutive games with a TD pass.

I feel Clowney could have the same type of immediate impact.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Well...if we did move up for Clowney or Mack, it would put us in a great position to consistently put Brady on his backside, which is the way to beat the Patriots*.

Not only Brady but other teams with great QB's that we would see in the playoffs

CBF

Choir meet preacher. My work here is done. Hallelujah!

GO BILLS!!!

I think listening to Whaley the Bills are definitely in on trading up for Clowney.

Didn't seem that into Ebron at all.

Could all be smoke and mirrors but I truly believe the Bills will gun hard to trade up for Clowney.

The bills didn't seem to be into Manuel much last year... and we took him. Whaley and Marrone are really good at getting the guy they want without letting anyone know.

The only player I can see the Bills trading up for is Clowney. That being said, I'd prefer them to trade down than up and getting more picks in the top 100. The question marks surrounding Clowney don't inspire me to give up current and future picks to get him.

If we were to stay at 9...

IMHO Ebron and Watkins seem totally overrated, and I wouldn't take them at 9. With our receiver corps stacked at the moment, it's not a high priority. A right tackle would be a position to upgrade, but there is depth there and can be done in a later round.

My preferred scenario...

If someone wants to get one of the QBs, say Manziel is there who Jerry Jones has been rumored to covet, we can have two second round picks to get some good players.

What I think they'll do if they trade down:

Rd1 - 1) CB Dennard or 2) CJ Mosley or 3) FS Clinton-Dix - Adding another piece to the defense: press corner would be a big boost to our secondary. The Bills had scored a lot of points last year but gave up more. Addressing the secondary or LB corps I think is priority #1.

Rd2a - TE Austin Seferian Jenkins or Troy Niklas - both seem to be more of an in-line tight end that this offense uses. ASJ is probably the better blocker.

Rd2b - OT Kouandjio - I believe the administration is in love with this guy and will be our starting RT if he's available in round 2.

Rd3 - DE Chricton - A development prospect at left end.

We've addressed a weakness in the defense, adding a run blocker, and another run blocker who can also stretch the field (who has the hands of a wide-receiver with fewest drops among top TEs). We saw a lot of run up the middle on 1st and 2nd down last season, and I expect more of the same this season.

That's just my two cents, let the shredding commence.

I think listening to Whaley the Bills are definitely in on trading up for Clowney.

Didn't seem that into Ebron at all.

Could all be smoke and mirrors but I truly believe the Bills will gun hard to trade up for Clowney.

You said it. Smoke and mirrors my friend. I don't doubt Whaley likes Clowney to a degree, but if they trade up I think it would be

in the 3-5 range and they would grab Watkins. I think that's truly Whaley's guy. It might also allow him to substitute players in

lieu of several draft picks.

My hypothetical guess: Watkins gets past J-ville. Whaley does a deal with the Browns.

Bills send:

9th pick

Manny Lawson

Stevie Johnson

Browns return:

4th pick

6th rd pick (2014)

Browns still get a pick in top 10. Get a young, very good starting WR and a DE who is proven in their scheme.

Bills recoup that 6th rounder spent on Williams, get the 4th pick to grab Watkins and give Lawson a chance to play in a scheme that fits him.

w/Watkins on board, SJ13 goes to Cleveland and settles in nicely with Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. (I would hate to see SJ13 go btw).

Seems like an equitable trade to me. Browns get two starters, one who is still young just to drop 5 spots in the draft. Bills get the dynamite

to go with Woods, Williams and Goodwin.

I'm not saying this would be the exact trade, but something like this.

I hope they trade down instead of up. They already only have six picks and they need more depth of talent on this team. Trade down in the first and pick up an extra pick and they will still get a very good player, plus another player for depth later on.

There are still veterans out on the market for depth. Vets who have already proven themselves at the NFL level unlike a 4th, 5th, 7th round pick who you can't count on to make the team at this point. The Bills already have playoff talent. It's up to EJ. Get EJ more weapons and protection. Or make the defense beyond dominant. That will help him too. You talk like it's five years ago with the depth thing.

If the bills move up, most realistic spot would be with raiders. Price is more realistic. If a player they want real bad falls to that 5th pick, then I can see them jumping up. I don't think there will be a player like that at 5 unless they want Evans that badly. I like Evans, but not toove up. Rather stay and draft Ebron and keeping our 2nd for a tackle or something

If the bills move up, most realistic spot would be with raiders. Price is more realistic. If a player they want real bad falls to that 5th pick, then I can see them jumping up. I don't think there will be a player like that at 5 unless they want Evans that badly. I like Evans, but not toove up. Rather stay and draft Ebron and keeping our 2nd for a tackle or something

I don't think Evans is a dynamic enough talent to move up for. He is a very good talent, yes. But teams move up for players who can score from anywhere on the field. That's Watkins, not Evans.

At today's luncehon he made it clear we are stuck with him...

Stuck with him? Can we give the kid some time before you want to toss him out the door? He needs to improve, but he also did some good things last year.

You touched on something relevant. Good teams that are missing one or two or even just a few key players can afford to "trade up" for that highly ranked/touted player, but teams like the Bills should be trading down trying to fill as many spots with true starting caliber players as possible. We have a good 10 spots, at least, where we are forced to start depth caliber players.

And for us it always seems to be a one-step-forward, one-step-backward approach. We sign a guy like Spikes, forgetting that he's entirely one-dimensional, for a truly ballhawking FS that's among the best in the league. We'll see how that plays out, but in a passing league I easily view that as being a net loss. Then in free-agency of course the team talks big and becomes the league's biggest investor in turd polish.

This team is in absolutely no position to assume the ever-growing list of risks associated with Clowney. That could very well be another McKelvin type mistake.

This team's front office has such a glaring lack of understanding as to how to build a team, a statement for which there is absolutely no defense at this point.

Whoa...some of this I really disagree with....Byrd is a Safety...a dime a dozen of their position...there's a reason why the BILLS made a good offer to Byrd but were willing to stand-pat on their offer, because of Aaron Williams...now, a really good MLB is NOT a position that is easy to fill, especially one who is able to play multiple fronts and can be great against the run and not a complete liability in coverage...you may disagree about Spikes' capability in coverage, I just think he does fairly well....but MLB is by far the superior position in terms of signficance in Defense...like Byrd, dislike Byrd, overpaid, aptly paid - whatever, but Safety just isn't a position you invest too much of your shortened cap space to...and before you argue that the BILLS have a "ton" or had a "ton" of cap space, keep in mind this is the same board who rips the FO for not being proactive in signing guys like their LT, QB, DE...yet, DE is well paid, QB has yet to be determined, and LT - if Glenn continues to play as well as he did last year or better - has been solved and will need a payday shortly....

Oh, and on topic of the thread, I don't buy Whaley trading up....I think they want to trade down and gather picks in a Draft where OT and WR are deep and that allows them to Draft Defense in 1st round, LB or CB....

Edited by BigBuff423