4/25/14: Doug Whaley WGR Interview/Bills' Pre-Draft Presser

At today's luncehon he made it clear we are stuck with him...

Not a revelation for anyone who has been listening for the entire offseason. Log on to the Bills website and who's picture is in the background? Hint: initials are EJM. Look at the Bills 2014 schedule and who's picture is on it? same hint.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said it. Smoke and mirrors my friend. I don't doubt Whaley likes Clowney to a degree, but if they trade up I think it would be

in the 3-5 range and they would grab Watkins. I think that's truly Whaley's guy. It might also allow him to substitute players in

lieu of several draft picks.

My hypothetical guess: Watkins gets past J-ville. Whaley does a deal with the Browns.

Bills send:

9th pick

Manny Lawson

Stevie Johnson

Browns return:

4th pick

6th rd pick (2014)

Browns still get a pick in top 10. Get a young, very good starting WR and a DE who is proven in their scheme.

Bills recoup that 6th rounder spent on Williams, get the 4th pick to grab Watkins and give Lawson a chance to play in a scheme that fits him.

w/Watkins on board, SJ13 goes to Cleveland and settles in nicely with Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. (I would hate to see SJ13 go btw).

Seems like an equitable trade to me. Browns get two starters, one who is still young just to drop 5 spots in the draft. Bills get the dynamite

to go with Woods, Williams and Goodwin.

I'm not saying this would be the exact trade, but something like this.

There are still veterans out on the market for depth. Vets who have already proven themselves at the NFL level unlike a 4th, 5th, 7th round pick who you can't count on to make the team at this point. The Bills already have playoff talent. It's up to EJ. Get EJ more weapons and protection. Or make the defense beyond dominant. That will help him too. You talk like it's five years ago with the depth thing.

I dont think the Browns would do that deal because I think they will be taking Watkins at #4

CBF

The fact that Doug so willingly praised Watkins,Evans and Clowny in the interview is telling me that he is either not interested or thinks that they will not be available.

Suspiciously quiet on Ebron, coupled with the fact that John Murphy dedicated a good portion of last nights show on him.

Is Murph hearing whispers around the complex, I'm thinking this is the case.

@buffalobills

#Bills pre-draft presser: Doug Majeski, Jim Monos, GM Doug Whaley and Kelvin Fisher meet the media.

BmFcltLCIAAL1x8.jpg

Jim Monos: "Watkins is like a Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands. He's special like that" on-par with AJ Green, Julio Jones in college.

Whaley on RD1 QBs: "I hope four of them go before we pick (laughs). If four go, we'll be ready, if none go, we'll be ready"

Whaley: TE position is trending towards basketball, athletic types.

Whaley on Sammy Watkins: "We think his traits are dynamic enough to overcome his lack of height"

Doug Majeski on Khalil Mack: "He's got everything we would look for in a LB" #Buffalo

Whaley: #Bills have one pre-draft visit spot still open. Deadline for visits is Sunday.

Whaley: #Bills defense/Jim Schwartz will seek to accentuate strengths of players, put in position to be most successful.

Whaley: DB Corey Graham "has the flexibility" to play both corner and safety. Likely in the rotation at both spots.

Jim Monos on 2014 WR class: "Depth-wise, we can go through every round. It's deep." could push other WR talent down the board

Whaley on trade for WR Mike Williams: "For a 6th round pick, can you get a player like him (in the draft)? It was a no-brainer."

Kelvin Fisher: "The depth of the RBs in this draft ... theres a lot of 'do-it-all' guys." early contributions + special teams play possible"

Whaley: "Sometimes you have to bring in a dimension you don't have, and a size WR is something we don't have" #BillsDraft

Whaley: "TE and RB are great friends to a QB" #BillsDraft

Whaley on drafting OT at No. 9: "If we can plug and play, and we forget about the position for 10yrs, why wouldn't we?"

Kelvin Fisher on top OTs in Draft: "Lewan, Matthews (& Martin) can play left and right tackle ... they are athletic enough to transition"

Whaley: "With the switch to the 4-3, we could use more DE depth." LB depth also mentioned.

Whaley on #BillsDraft: "We can take any position ... that makes our job easier. We can stack the board."

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We believe that when we needed him most, he always put us in position to win"

Whaley: "It's a QB-driven league ... our main focus is to make sure (EJ Manuel) progresses."

Whaley: "Never say never" on drafting a RD1 QB, trading on draft day etc.

The fact that Doug so willingly praised Watkins,Evans and Clowny in the interview is telling me that he is either not interested or thinks that they will not be available.

Suspiciously quiet on Ebron, coupled with the fact that John Murphy dedicated a good portion of last nights show on him.

Is Murph hearing whispers around the complex, I'm thinking this is the case.

Dear God I hope not....if the BILLS stay at 9, Ebron is the ONE player, I would absolutely HATE at that position....now, if the BILLS trade down into the teens or 20s, then fine...I'll accept it, despite the fact I don't like it....

Interesting tweet from Schefter

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 6m

RT @evansilva: ESPN's Mortensen suggests Mike Evans as trade-up target for 49ers. Mort hearing Niners "could be very aggressive in draft."

This does not surprise me. I think they are going all out to win the SB even though their QB is young, they know they have a specific window with that defense.

What do you hate so much about him?

First: some of it is not Ebron per se, but the value of a TE. Historically, TEs just don't hold value in the top 10, with many of the best TEs being in 3rd and 4th Rounds, Gates, Graham, Witten, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, etc...Gonzalez is the last 1st round TE to have really made an impact, Pettigrew anyone? Eifert? Now, Eifert - to be fair - may have a phenomenal 2nd year, but that's really my point...even Gronk was a 2nd and his homicidal cohort was a 4th Rounder...the best TEs, tend to be Drafted in the middle rounds due to their NFL particular skill-set and the freakish athletes at TEs, don't seem to transition well to the NFL and the good TEs usually take a year or two...in another thread I posted some of those same TEs first year stats, when discussing Gragg...it really is amazing..

Second: again nothing against Ebron personally, I just don't think he fits well with Buffalo and their Offense, within their Division. Many people talk about Graham like he's a god at TE, but he plays in New Orleans at an indoor facility in the NFC South, so he travels to Tampa Bay and North Carolina, not NE in December or play at home in the snow against Green Bay....and you can take a look at his numbers, they don't hold up "as well" in cold, snowy, rainy weather...there's a reason for that...his speed and athleticism in jumping make him a great target, but not for Buffalo...Buffalo does better with a C.J. Fiedorowicz type player, big body can block and catch but won't take the top off a Defense, find a seam and get a 7 yard catch run a couple yards to move the chains...and as much as I hate saying this Gronk, is the ideal type TE for Buffalo...it sucks, but true and a reason why he's doing so well in NE (well...that a guy named Brady)

Third: I'm not sold on Ebron as the football player...I think he's truly gifted and has speed...but I don't like his drops, I question his ability to block and I'm not sure he'd be the type of player to come in line with a HC like Marrone...so, those are the three main reasons...

Apologize, if I came off as bullish or just a plain a*shole, it's just all this Ebron love on this board drives me a batsh*t crazy....philosophically, not personally

First: some of it is not Ebron per se, but the value of a TE. Historically, TEs just don't hold value in the top 10, with many of the best TEs being in 3rd and 4th Rounds, Gates, Graham, Witten, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, etc...Gonzalez is the last 1st round TE to have really made an impact, Pettigrew anyone? Eifert? Now, Eifert - to be fair - may have a phenomenal 2nd year, but that's really my point...even Gronk was a 2nd and his homicidal cohort was a 4th Rounder...the best TEs, tend to be Drafted in the middle rounds due to their NFL particular skill-set and the freakish athletes at TEs, don't seem to transition well to the NFL and the good TEs usually take a year or two...in another thread I posted some of those same TEs first year stats, when discussing Gragg...it really is amazing..

Second: again nothing against Ebron personally, I just don't think he fits well with Buffalo and their Offense, within their Division. Many people talk about Graham like he's a god at TE, but he plays in New Orleans at an indoor facility in the NFC South, so he travels to Tampa Bay and North Carolina, not NE in December or play at home in the snow against Green Bay....and you can take a look at his numbers, they don't hold up "as well" in cold, snowy, rainy weather...there's a reason for that...his speed and athleticism in jumping make him a great target, but not for Buffalo...Buffalo does better with a C.J. Fiedorowicz type player, big body can block and catch but won't take the top off a Defense, find a seam and get a 7 yard catch run a couple yards to move the chains...and as much as I hate saying this Gronk, is the ideal type TE for Buffalo...it sucks, but true and a reason why he's doing so well in NE (well...that a guy named Brady)

Third: I'm not sold on Ebron as the football player...I think he's truly gifted and has speed...but I don't like his drops, I question his ability to block and I'm not sure he'd be the type of player to come in line with a HC like Marrone...so, those are the three main reasons...

Apologize, if I came off as bullish or just a plain a*shole, it's just all this Ebron love on this board drives me a batsh*t crazy....philosophically, not personally

Does the name Vernon Davis ring a bell?

It doesn't come off as lukewarm as it did when you saw the video and heard Buddy's tone vs when talking about the other QBs. But here it is.

Q: Can you explain the perceived meteoric rise of Florida St. QB E.J. Manuel? Is it something induced by the darling of the NFL now, the zone read? Is that something that is kind of driving him up a little bit?

Buddy Nix: I really do not pay much attention to that stuff so I did not know he was making a move with the media. I would say that is probably some of it, yeah. The fact that he can run the football. I think in this league it is kind of a fad deal. Not saying that is a fad, but I am saying the league does things like that. It always comes back to you. You have to be able to throw the football in this league to win and to score. If you have a guy that can run it, he better first of all be able to make NFL throws.

Q: Can Manuel make the NFL throws?

Buddy Nix: I have not seen him make NFL throws. I have seen him make them at Florida St. He made throws and he was maybe a little inconsistent with it. He has plenty of arm and great athletic ability. It is just a matter of whether or not you can get him consistent in that part of it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-Bills-Pre-Draft-Luncheon/eb2de99f-b3fb-4005-9301-4a68b419c8f3

I think going into year two, we still could write up the same scouting report on EJ. I like him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Excellent post!

Had to disagree with any of your points

CBF

Does the name Vernon Davis ring a bell?

That's exactly my point...Vernon Davis was non-existent for his first few years in the NFL until Harbaugh and a new Coordinator came along!! He did NOT make an impact the way Gonzalez did in his first few seasons, just look at the stats....

That's exactly my point...Vernon Davis was non-existent for his first few years in the NFL until Harbaugh and a new Coordinator came along!! He did NOT make an impact the way Gonzalez did in his first few seasons, just look at the stats....

This isn't the same NFL as when Vernon Davis came in. OC's are now using the TE position much more prominently as deep threats. Ebron could certainly make an significant impact in his rookie year should he be drafted by the Bills when you consider the other personnel that'd be on the field with him. The Bills would be able to isolate him on safeties that he'd have a clear advantage on.

I sort of go back and forth when it comes to Ebron for the Bills... and today I want them to take him, if it is at 9 that's OK but if they can trade down to say 16 and get him, even better. He will not make it past the Jets at 18, IMO. The reasons I think he is the best pick for the Bills in the 1st is that he is a mismatch for defenses to game plan for. He is hard for DBs and LBs alike to cover. He upgrades two offensive areas at once - big red zone WR target and TE. I agree he doesn't fit the offense we saw last year from Marrone and Hackett... but that could be because they didn't have someone like him to create that type of offense. Just be stepping on the field, he opens things up for our other WRs. He could play in 2 TE sets with Chandler. He can line up as a WR. He can develop into a better blocker. He is only 21. He has an awesome personality and is a team leader. He is very enthusiastic with a big attitude. I think he will be Vernon Davis. They don't come around often. As far as the cold, snowy, rainy weather... any of these prospects from the South have to overcome the same question. Like Polian says, if you are picking in the top 10, you should pick someone who can score or stop the other team from scoring. They will throw it up to him in the endzone. He is 6'4 250, his size and athleticism combined will be more than the guy trying to cover him most of the time and I like that matchup. Edited by YoloinOhio

This isn't the same NFL as when Vernon Davis came in. OC's are now using the TE position much more prominently as deep threats. Ebron could certainly make an significant impact in his rookie year should he be drafted by the Bills when you consider the other personnel that'd be on the field with him. The Bills would be able to isolate him on safeties that he'd have a clear advantage on.

I'm not totally against the BILLS taking him, although I'm not rallying for it to happen, as I mentioned in my first post, I would be "ok" with it and accept it, but not loving it...I "hate" it for the BILLS at 9th, but down into the teens or later, I could learn to accept it, because the BILLS would pick up another Draftted Player, but just not sold on Ebron for all the reasons I mentioned, my football philosophy for the BILLS I suppose...but again, it's primarily the value and some of the player....

I sort of go back and forth when it comes to Ebron for the Bills... and today I want them to take him, if it is at 9 that's OK but if they can trade down to say 16 and get him, even better. He will not make it past the Jets at 18, IMO. The reasons I think he is the best pick for the Bills in the 1st is that he is a mismatch for defenses to game plan for. He is hard for DBs and LBs alike to cover. He upgrades two offensive areas at once - big red zone WR target and TE. I agree he doesn't fit the offense we saw last year from Marrone and Hackett... but that could be because they didn't have someone like him to create that type of offense. Just be stepping on the field, he opens things up for our other WRs. He could play in 2 TE sets with Chandler. He can line up as a WR. He can develop into a better blocker. He is only 21. He has an awesome personality and is a team leader. He is very enthusiastic with a big attitude. I think he will be Vernon Davis. They don't come around often. As far as the cold, snowy, rainy weather... any of these prospects from the South have to overcome the same question. Like Polian says, if you are picking in the top 10, you should pick someone who can score or stop the other team from scoring. They will throw it up to him in the endzone. He is 6'4 250, his size and athleticism combined will be more than the guy trying to cover him most of the time and I like that matchup.

See above....basically, I would understand IF the BILLS Drafted him in the teens or later, but would have a hard time accepting it if they picked him at 9th overall....having said all of that, I'm not one of the whiners that believes if a team doesn't do what I agree with that I'm going to go pout in the corner....once I've swallowed the pick and remind myself to trust Whaley - which I truly do, the guy has the BILLS moving in the right direction IMO - I will support any player (unless a crime is committed) that wears a BILLS uniform like they were my brother....

I'm not totally against the BILLS taking him, although I'm not rallying for it to happen, as I mentioned in my first post, I would be "ok" with it and accept it, but not loving it...I "hate" it for the BILLS at 9th, but down into the teens or later, I could learn to accept it, because the BILLS would pick up another Draftted Player, but just not sold on Ebron for all the reasons I mentioned, my football philosophy for the BILLS I suppose...but again, it's primarily the value and some of the player....

See above....basically, I would understand IF the BILLS Drafted him in the teens or later, but would have a hard time accepting it if they picked him at 9th overall....having said all of that, I'm not one of the whiners that believes if a team doesn't do what I agree with that I'm going to go pout in the corner....once I've swallowed the pick and remind myself to trust Whaley - which I truly do, the guy has the BILLS moving in the right direction IMO - I will support any player (unless a crime is committed) that wears a BILLS uniform like they were my brother....

Here, here! :thumbsup: