4/25/14: Doug Whaley WGR Interview/Bills' Pre-Draft Presser

appreciate the well thought out post, and it doesnt seem aggressive at all.... i dont know that i agree with it, but i cant say that im right and your wrong either.... i will give my opinion though, for whatever its worth

1) I think we are seeing a pretty swift change in the position the last handful of years. while i will agree that most of your examples are pretty current - the dynamic tight ends are climbing draft boards and their contracts are growing fast than other positions. Jimmy Graham was a midrounder a few years ago, but i think he would have been a late round/udfa a decade ago (had 200 receiving yards in his college career). its part of why you see the potential battles over the franchise tag numbers - they are outpacing their historical share of resources. the elite are far more exceptional specimens with bigger impacts on the game than they ever have been. Is ebron that guy? i dont know. you have to like the build, and hes very talented but hes a step slower than vernon davis and the production question marks seem fair to me. especially if the argument is he makes a middle of the pack qb better because he can "go up and get it." - but why wasnt he doing that more?

2) this one i think you are a mile off on. Jimmy graham has produced very well in various field conditions (though not played a ton in the elements, as you note). last year he was pretty beat up come december and probably shouldnt have been on the field. then you are coupling in things like traveling to seattle twice (quite different than being seattles tight end, as far as being an offensive player in that stadium and a tough matchup even if it wouldve been in a dome), and that the saints offense as a whole struggled against good opponents on the road. too many packages, too much reliance on timing plays against physical teams, etc.... i dont think it was any kind of indictment on elite tight ends playing in the elements, but a variety of issues with the saints and grahams health.

3) very fair questions. not an expert here, and wont claim to know the answer with any certainty (even the experts dont) -- but i will say 1 & 2 do not make me want to bump him down as a systematic approach. im not rushing to get an elite TE at #3 in the draft but i think they are established in the first half of round 1... just a matter of if HE is worthy.

Re: #2 - Fair enough to agree to disagree. I just don't think Ebron would do well in Buffalo, ala Graham, but if he puts on the BILLS uni, you can goddamn bet I'll be cheering for him....he wears the colors (and isn't a law-breaking douche), I support him and hope for all that is holy, I am dead-wrong and would be very happy to start an apology thread after his Rookie season to say as much...I'm not above eating my fair share of crow...hell, for some parts of my life, I survived on it!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya...And I understand Chandler is not the most talented guy...But I think he is more talented than Moeaki or Lee Smith (though I know Smith is more of a blocker)...I just think if you're trying to build a Championship roster you can do worse than having Scott Chandler around...That's all... B-)

I agree, at 6'6" and 275 lbs, I see Chandler as a very fluid route runner. Good hands, willing blocker.

I agree, at 6'6" and 275 lbs, I see Chandler as a very fluid route runner. Good hands, willing blocker.

Inconsistent hands....Woefully ineffective blocker.....Little to no YAC ability

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Inconsistent hands....Woefully ineffective blocker.

this last year he had a bad fumble, but in his total time with us I never would have called his hands inconsistent. This last year maybe.

As far as blocking, I said willing. And he is.

I'm not trying to make him out to be great, but I also don't believe he's the garbage you're describing.

this last year he had a bad fumble, but in his total time with us I never would have called his hands inconsistent. This last year maybe.

As far as blocking, I said willing. And he is.

I'm not trying to make him out to be great, but I also don't believe he's the garbage you're describing.

Didn't say garbage. I said mediocre and in my book that simply isn't good enough.

I dont think the Browns would do that deal because I think they will be taking Watkins at #4

CBF

Very possible. That was a thought I had which is why I threw in SJ13 instead of more picks. But yeah, Watkins to

Cleveland looks like a possibility. Imagine Gordon, Cameron and Watkins?? Lord...

There was a thread a while back regarding surprise Bills' cuts for this season. I posted that it would be Chandler. If the Bills do wind up taking Ebron, it'll be thanks for your past contributions, but see ya Scott!

I doubt that. Chandler allows them to run two TE sets. And Chandler can play. He's just not the explosive player like Ebron or Davis or Graham or Gronk. Bye bye Lee Smith would be more like it to me.

Edited by purple haze

I am not a fan of pass catchers with abnormally high drop rates as drops often are the equivalent of turnovers. I prefer a large TE talent that can be an asset in goal line / short yardage run formations (where the Bills stunk and Marrone said they had a plan to improve.) Said TE should be a great blocker and excel at catching the ball above his head against man coverage underneath.

This does not sound like Ebron to me.

The Columbia sc radio station 107.5 the game got wind of the interview. They were just adamit about it being the worst place for Clowny to be drafted. That there is not one good reason to play for Buffalo. Heath clone wad the host. Just fyi

Edited by MikeSpeed

The Columbia sc radio station 107.5 the game got wind of the interview. They were just adamit about it being the worst place for Client to be drafted. That there is not one good reason to play for Buffalo. Heath clone wad the host. Just fyi

A sports broadcaster in Columbia, SC is irrelevant. As they would say down there, "God bless his heart."

Thurman was still a year away. Shula said it himself the day we acquired Bennett. "Buffalo has a pass rush now." Which is what we needed to get past Miami in the division. Polian said the same thing. Bennett's impact was immediate, from the moment he entered his first game against Denver. His presence altered Miami's attack against us and prevented other teams from making Bruce the sole focus as well.

I'd say that Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Lofton, as well as Bruce, Bennett, and our OLine had more to do with establishing sustained dominance in the conference, but the first order or business was getting past Miami. Just as the first order of business now is getting past Brady and the Pats*.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeh, I was at the game...Elway was the QB, and he had a swivel on his head when he realized that Bruce Smith and Bennett were both in there. Looking back a forth at those two guys....talk about intimidation.....it was Bennett's first game, and he had immediate impact.

Full transcript: Bills pre-draft press conference

Pre-draft remarks from President and CEO Russ Brandon, GM Doug Whaley, Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos, Director of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher, and Coordinator of College Scouting Doug Majeski.

Doug Whaley on Adding a Safety <2:00>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about the possibility of adding a safety in the draft to replace Jairus Byrd.

Fisher, Whaley on Offensive Line Prospects <2:32>

Kelvin Fisher and Doug Whaley talk about some of the top offensive line prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Whaley and Monos on Ebron, Tight End Class <1:50>

Doug Whaley and Jim Monos talk about the league moving towards athletic tight ends, Eric Ebron, and this years tight end draft class.

Doug Whaley on Trading Up <1:38>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about the possibility of trading at this years NFL Draft. Doug Whaley on Trading Up

Monos on Wide Receivers, Whaley on Williams <3:32>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about how the trade for Mike Williams came about, and director of player personnel Jim Monos talks about this years draft class.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz