Jimbo ready to bid on the Bills

I wouldn't be surprised, let's say if Trump DID become an owner of the Bills, if down the road sometime he claims the Bills ARE the only real N.Y. team and try and move them somewhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC. I myself wouldn't be upset since I live in Queens, N.Y. and it will be easier to go to a game. But on the flip side of that coin, the prices for tickets will go up and I wouldn't have a reason to leave the city since I don't take "vacations". Driving up to Buffalo is the closest thing to a vacation that I experience in the year.

Trump has my vote only cuz he publicly said he wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo but politics is politics as we all know. Saying and doing are two different things.

Keep the Bills in Buffalo! Cuz it would sound really weird to call our team the NY Bills. People have enough Bills as it is and may cause people more stress for thinking they have a new bill to pay.

I'm confident that this wont happen. There's a reason that those two teams in the NYC area are in NJ.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Trump would need Jim Kelly more than anyone else. JK would give him the credibility he lacks at this point. I don't trust Trump and

I don't think most do. He's an attention whore, always saying something questionable and loves to be a star. Him saying he will keep the

Bills in B-Lo means little to me. Now if JK aligned himself with Trump? I still wouldn't be a fan of Trump's act, but I trust JK. I think the

group JK aligns himself with will say a lot.

I'm confident that this wont happen. There's a reason that those two teams in the NYC area are in NJ.

Don't be too confident though. The NYC area and the 5 boroughs are crowded with real estate without a doubt. But people forget that long island is also a part of NYC and has more than enough land and space to build a new stadium without being overwhelmed with city traffic.

Donald Trump would need Jim Kelly more than anyone else. JK would give him the credibility he lacks at this point. I don't trust Trump and

I don't think most do. He's an attention whore, always saying something questionable and loves to be a star. Him saying he will keep the

Bills in B-Lo means little to me. Now if JK aligned himself with Trump? I still wouldn't be a fan of Trump's act, but I trust JK. I think the

Credibility with whom? Trump is a businessman who even has experience with sports team ownership. Jim Kelly was a QB for a football team. As far as the NFL is concerned, Trump does not need JK. As far as the fans go, JK would be a big help to Trump. But Trump will have all the fan support he needs so long as the team stays put.

Trump does not need JK at all. However JK absolutely needs someone with business experience and a boatload of cash.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Don't be too confident though. The NYC area and the 5 boroughs are crowded with real estate without a doubt. But people forget that long island is also a part of NYC and has more than enough land and space to build a new stadium without being overwhelmed with city traffic.

But how far out on LI would they have to go to get enough land to build a stadium, plus the facilities needed for a team?

Plus didn't NYC already reject the Jets plans several years ago to build a stadium in Brooklyn?

Credibility with whom? Trump is a businessman who even has experience with sports team ownership. Jim Kelly was a QB for a football team. As far as the NFL is concerned, Trump does not need JK. As far as the fans go, JK would be a big help to Trump. But Trump will have all the fan support he needs so long as the team stays put.

Trump does not need JK at all. However JK absolutely needs someone with business experience and a boatload of cash.

Credibility with fans, yeah, but I'm not talking about that. My thoughts are he needs credibility with Mrs. Wilson and the Bills organization as well as the league itself. Other people have money too. The Wilson's don't have to sell to Trump, and the league need not approve of his ownership. And Trump's ownership experience did not end well wouldn't you say?

The Bills organization trusts Jim Kelly. Mr. Wilson kept him involved all of these years as an ambassador for the organization. JK, being a trusted member of the Bills family, someone who does not want to see the team move, would give Trump credibility if he chose to align himself with him. Because on its face, Trump saying he will keep the Bills in Buffalo is not necessarily something one could take to the bank. So Trump needs credibility, don't think he doesn't. His reputation for being an attention seeker, a flake and a man with, although it's his constitutional right, political opinions that could be embarrassing for the league could cost him because there are other options with money and less bad notoriety. Notice we don't hear public political opinions from sports team owners, particularly in the NFL. Because it's bad for business.

From the BuffNews article:

“Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,” Dan Kelly said.

As far as identifying any of the business people who are wooing Jim Kelly, Dan Kelly said: “We’ll talk about that when the time is right. Right now, our top priority is getting Jim the treatment he needs. That’s the most important thing.”

How does this become "Jimbo is ready to bid on the Bills"?

The poor guy just got back in town to continue his chemo/rads. He hasn't even put together what was long rumored as "the Kelly Group", let alone being "ready to bid".

Let's leave him be.

Edited by Mr. WEO

“Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,” Dan Kelly said.

As far as identifying any of the business people who are wooing Jim Kelly, Dan Kelly said: “We’ll talk about that when the time is right. Right now, our top priority is getting Jim the treatment he needs. That’s the most important thing.”

The poor guy just got back in town to continue his chemo/rads. He hasn't even put together what was long rumored as "the Kelly Group", let alone being "ready to bid".

Let's leave him be.

He'll be involved. And with the team passing to Mary Wilson, there is no urgency to sell quickly, so he can get his treatments and latch onto a group.

There have been reports that Thurman Thomas has been approached by interested groups as well... and he is very close with Mrs. Wilson. And wasn't it rumored that he and Kelly both were "getting a group together"? It seems like they would both be investors, and the majority owner would be someone like Trump or another guy with a billion whose plan is to keep the team in Bflo. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be outbid by another group who does not have that same plan, but I just have a feeling this has all been in the works for longer than we realize or the Wilsons let on.

I saw Thurman give a speech to an private organization a couple years ago. The subject of the Bills future ownership with him and Kelly being involved came up in the Q&A section. His response, and I'm paraphrasing here, was "if your checkbook is open, he can fill you in on the details privately".

But how far out on LI would they have to go to get enough land to build a stadium, plus the facilities needed for a team?

Plus didn't NYC already reject the Jets plans several years ago to build a stadium in Brooklyn?

That plan was for the west side of Manhattan, not Brooklyn. After it was rejected the Jets got on board with the new Meadowlands.

I suppose they could build a stadium in the empty lot after they raze the Nassau Coliseum, but the idea of a 3d team in the NYC market is silly to begin with.

how amazing would it be if Jimbo announced he's cancer free AND the new owner of the team? that would be the greatest day in WNY history

The odds of that happening would be about the same as hitting the powerball. The best Bills fans can hope for is that he is part of a ownership group. He would not be the owner, he would most likely have a PR job. He simply does not have the resources or experience to be an owner. He does, however, have the full backing and unwavering support of Bills fans everywhere and would be an awesome face of the team for any ownership group that desires to keep the team in Buffalo.

+10000000000000

Credibility with fans, yeah, but I'm not talking about that. My thoughts are he needs credibility with Mrs. Wilson and the Bills organization as well as the league itself. Other people have money too. The Wilson's don't have to sell to Trump, and the league need not approve of his ownership. And Trump's ownership experience did not end well wouldn't you say?

The Bills organization trusts Jim Kelly. Mr. Wilson kept him involved all of these years as an ambassador for the organization. JK, being a trusted member of the Bills family, someone who does not want to see the team move, would give Trump credibility if he chose to align himself with him. Because on its face, Trump saying he will keep the Bills in Buffalo is not necessarily something one could take to the bank. So Trump needs credibility, don't think he doesn't. His reputation for being an attention seeker, a flake and a man with, although it's his constitutional right, political opinions that could be embarrassing for the league could cost him because there are other options with money and less bad notoriety. Notice we don't hear public political opinions from sports team owners, particularly in the NFL. Because it's bad for business.

Well said.

The odds of that happening would be about the same as hitting the powerball. The best Bills fans can hope for is that he is part of a ownership group. He would not be the owner, he would most likely have a PR job. He simply does not have the resources or experience to be an owner. He does, however, have the full backing and unwavering support of Bills fans everywhere and would be an awesome face of the team for any ownership group that desires to keep the team in Buffalo.

Very true. Any new ownership group does not need Jim's money. He is not rich enough to make a meaningful contribution. As a public face of a new group, and for his expertise and relationships in dealing with the current Bill's management and ownership, along with the goodwill of the fans he brings along, I could see him getting a stake in the team. Somewhere around 1% to 2% possibly.

Let's leave him be.

Jim has gone public with his cancer battle, and yet you suggest we leave him be, while he and his family are inviting reporters into his personal space and providing regular updates on social media platforms. aware of the sensitive nature of his illness, no one to my knowledge has gone directly to Jim to ask him questions about his ownership intentions. The AP and The Buffalo News directly approached Jim's brother and business partner, Dan, not Jim.

the Bills will be going up for sale soon, and to suggest it's not newsworthy to determine the Kelly's intention is odd. the media would just as quickly be chided had it failed to ask these questions.

as far as suggesting Jim hasn't put together a "long-rumored" Kelly group is also a bit specious and/or naive. Are you suggesting that no plans were put in place for Jim to prepare for the Bills to go on sale prior to Ralph Wilson's death?

really think you're off on this.

jw

Wake me up when one of our local "journalists" actually does some real reporting instead of rehashing what we all know -- Trump is interested, so is Bon Jovi, we don't know about Jacobs, there are supposedly 10 others that have inquired, Kelly will hook up with one of the groups, yada, yada, yada !! ..... How about some investigating into these CRITICAL questions: (1) What role will Mary Wilson play in determining WHO the Bills are sold to ? (2) If Mary doesn't determine who, and it's up to the trust, who then decides who is selected as the buyer ? (3) Is the process an open or closed bid ? (4) does the team have to get sold to the highest bidder ? --- we all on the boards know that whoever it is sold to will undoubtedly need approval from 24/32 NFL owners -- but start reporting on those 4 critical questions --- instead of rehashing old news

Jim has gone public with his cancer battle, and yet you suggest we leave him be, while he and his family are inviting reporters into his personal space and providing regular updates on social media platforms. aware of the sensitive nature of his illness, no one to my knowledge has gone directly to Jim to ask him questions about his ownership intentions. The AP and The Buffalo News directly approached Jim's brother and business partner, Dan, not Jim.

the Bills will be going up for sale soon, and to suggest it's not newsworthy to determine the Kelly's intention is odd. the media would just as quickly be chided had it failed to ask these questions.

as far as suggesting Jim hasn't put together a "long-rumored" Kelly group is also a bit specious and/or naive. Are you suggesting that no plans were put in place for Jim to prepare for the Bills to go on sale prior to Ralph Wilson's death?

really think you're off on this.

jw

Of course John - it is obvious (at least to me and I assume most everyone) that Jim Kelly has for a long, long time now, had a plan in place hence his repeated insistence, "that money will not be a problem". What has surprised me (and perhaps the Kellys?) is the number of other groups (apparently) that would like Jim to join "their team". My GUESS would be that Jim will LISTEN to other offers but will likely stay with the (for us unknown) "money group" he put together years ago. I am very confident Jim's major goal is to win the bidding war and to align himself with the ownership team most likely to keep the team in Buffalo. The Trump bit of things are probably only a distraction. I doubt he was ever part of Jim's original money team.

People are understandably edgy wanting to hear definitive news. Always appreciate your stories, John! Keep 'em coming. -RichNJoisy (CNJBBB)