Jimbo ready to bid on the Bills

If I understand it correctly, the trust can sell to whomever they want, as long as the buyer pays fair market value. It shouldn't have to go to the highest bidder.

If the team is worth $850 million (don't know the exact number, but we'll use that for now), then the trust can sell to a buyer that offers $900 million and the promise to keep the team in Buffalo over (for example) Donald Trump or a buyer that offers $1 billion without any guarantee to keep the team in Buffalo.

This is how I understand it, but I may have missed a detail or two in the explanation I heard.

This may very well explain why, as was reported last week, Mrs. Wilson is in the process of interviewing multiple investment banking firms whose task it will be to identify the overall value of the estate.

If "high bid" alone was going to dictate the sale, why bother with retaining a firm to estimate value? Just let supply and demand rule and dictate the sale price.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geez, the journalism profession you speak of seems so easy, where information just falls from the sky, and all the questions are tied up and answered so easily, as if by the wavef of some magic wand.

you implore me you say. good for you. implore all you want, but you're imploring doesn't pay my bills. you demand answers to questions as if they are easily asked. as if we live in some sort of movie-version of journalism where you can go to the corner store and buy a deep throat off the shelf. how about you stop trying to insult me with your implorations and attempt to understand how my job works.

thin-skinned, sure, with yahoos like you who have difficulty separating speculation and fact. i don't deal in speculation. i pin down the facts. but, of course, you know better.

like WEO, you pretend to understand exactly who i've talked to and where my stories are coming from. perhaps, it's easy and convenient to be part of a message board where posts can be debated ad naseum. i don't deal with posts. i deal with people, and getting close to those people in the know. and there are times when someone may know something without direct knowledge and it takes days, perhaps weeks, to pin that information down.

we at the AP would rather be cautious than wrong. if we're not first, at least we can be right. but you don't understand that, because you seem to think that we in the business have Mary Wilson on speed dial. good for you. call me thin-skinned. but keep in mind that i will argue that, based on your posts, you have no idea of where i'm coming from or what my job entails.

so there, we're even. i'm regurgitating stuff, and you're speaking out of your blow-hole.

there, i didn't hold back either.

jw

i'd even suggest that there was more to last weekend's story that, as a result of double-checking and asking questions, that we elected to take out. but you wouldn't believe that anyway because all we do here is sit around and interact with our critics on message boards. believe what you want.

"Yahoo ?", "Blow hole ?", I'll attempt to keep my post a bit more professional and avoid the name calling you seem to cherish so much. As you correctly point out, I don't know you, so please don't assume you know me and what I know and what I don't know, leave the assumptions out of your posts as you claim to leave them out of your stories. Nobody, including me, ever said your job or being a journalist was easy, and I'm sure no one told you growing up that it would be either, but what profession in life is ? There are people we all know that have jobs that are actually really hard, I don't think I need to remind you of those people who put their lives on the line for a much smaller paycheck than you or me. I respect journalists, but, more importantly, I respect people who take pride in their jobs and do them well each and every day. I know the questions I asked aren't easy to find answers to, but aren't those the stories you dreamed of writing when you were a kid ? Maybe I am glorifying your profession or maybe I'm trying to inspire you to do more on behalf of us fans. We want to see this team stay here for the long term and we want to know what is happening behind the scenes. Despite social media, journalists still are the fans eyes and ears into the world of sports, you have a responsibility and along with that a very high expectation. Reminds me of that famous line "to whom much is given, much is expected", or something like that, but hey, what do I know, I'm just a yahoo with a large blow hole. Edited by TXBILLSFAN

"Yahoo ?", "Blow hole ?", I'll attempt to keep my post a bit more professional and avoid the name calling you seem to cherish so much. As you correctly point out, I don't know you, so please don't assume you know me and what I know and what I don't know, leave the assumptions out of your posts as you claim to leave them out of your stories. Nobody, including me, ever said your job or being a journalist was easy, and I'm sure no one told you growing up that it would be either, but what profession in life is ? There are people we all know that have jobs that are actually really hard, I don't think I need to remind you of those people who put their lives on the line for a much smaller paycheck than you or me. I respect journalists, but, more importantly, I respect people who take pride in their jobs and do them well each and every day. I know the questions I asked aren't easy to find answers to, but aren't those the stories you dreamed of writing when you were a kid ? Maybe I am glorifying your profession or maybe I'm trying to inspire you to do more on behalf of us fans. We want to see this team stay here for the long term and we want to know what is happening behind the scenes. Despite social media, journalists still are the fans eyes and ears into the world of sports, you have a responsibility and along with that a very high expectation. Reminds me of that famous line "to whom much is given, much is expected", or something like that, but hey, what do I know, I'm just a yahoo with a large blow hole.

yep, too much effort to deal with you. easier to ignore. be happy, i think you're among the first for me.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

This may very well explain why, as was reported last week, Mrs. Wilson is in the process of interviewing multiple investment banking firms whose task it will be to identify the overall value of the estate.

If "high bid" alone was going to dictate the sale, why bother with retaining a firm to estimate value? Just let supply and demand rule and dictate the sale price.

Unfortunately I recently had to deal with my Dads estate as well as a trust. As executor and trustee I needed a "date of death valuation" on all of the assets for tax purposes.

What Mrs. Wilson is doing is probably for similar reasons.