Jimbo ready to bid on the Bills

I do not know how much of a stake Kelly will have in ownership should he be able to buy the team. His business acumen seems solid but he might not have what it takes to run billion dollar business.

Just a lot of questions and those are only two thoughts.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to laugh at all the responses over in the closed Jimbo thread.

"Money might not be all that matters." So what does he have that'll make the difference between the $19 million he has and the $1.5 billion it'll likely take?

"He can make $50 million on an autobiography and movie rights." What movie is there to be made? Is he going to write a book in a day and sell it tomorrow?

He'd be a face and nothing more. He likely wouldn't give anymore than a few million, because he'll need money to live on.

Edited by SBUffalo

I think Jim needs to just work on trying to get better. Unless he has massive investors with 1.5 billion or so to contribute and allow him to be majority owner (not sure how with a net wealth of just 19 mill) I just can't see how he can be serious about buying.

I love Jimbo as much as anyone, but this would be a nightmare.

I don't want Trump anywhere near this team. If he is in the ownership group, he will be the loudest and most influential voice, and I think the odds of the team leaving Buffalo in the next decade go up 3X.

I don't need a Bills legend as a figurehead, I need an owner with ties to Buffalo.

I think Jim needs to just work on trying to get better. Unless he has massive investors with 1.5 billion or so to contribute and allow him to be majority owner (not sure how with a net wealth of just 19 mill) I just can't see how he can be serious about buying.

He can't be the majority owner unless it's a gift. He doesn't have the money to own 30%.

Wawrow's piece does not indicate Trump and Kelly will combine on a bid. It begins with a listing of the major players made public to this point:

"BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly is prepared to make a bid to buy the Buffalo Bills. Donald Trump's on board, too.

Don't discount the family of Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. And include New Jersey rocker Jon Bon Jovi's name for added spice."

correct.

jw

Jim Kelly is worth $19M according to celebrity networth - http://www.celebrity...elly-net-worth/

JK probably could make $50m selling an autobiography & movie rights.

They could call it "Draft Day"

Anyone who is asking Jim to be part of the ownership group knows the team is staying in Buffalo. I'm guessing JBJ didn't give him a call.

Edited by The Wiz

For the record, JK will have no actual buying power in pursuit of the Bills. He doesn't have enough money to own 1%. However, he'd be a great karma face for a guy like Donald Trump who will need some.

I wouldn't trust Trump to do anything that didn't benefit Trump and if that means moving the team to Berlin, he'd do it.

Now the price is 1.5 Billion or so?

Whoever buys the Bills would be smart to put Jim in charge at some capacity. Jim has a lot of respect from non Bills fans. Successful pro teams become so from tremendous sized fan bases which span the globe. Right now IMO the Bills are a very small market. We need to find a way to expand our fan base with a little creativity. Good luck Jim and GO BILLS.

Let's remember that the Wilson family gets to choose who they will sell the team to, and I know Russ Brandon is fielding calls from potential buyers. To me, that means that whoever has Jim Kelly has a big advantage over everyone else. I'm not surprised multiple groups have contacted Jim Kelly, but I ultimately think he'll go with Trump. JK and Trump have been friends since the USFL days and Jim even stayed at one of Trump's properties in NYC while getting treatment.

I was surprised that a number of groups have contacted Kelly as well, since he's been saying for several years he has a group of investors ready to go.

But, it makes sense in a way. Jimbo likely doesn't have the $300+ million to be the largest shareholder, so any role he plays in a new ownership group is more symbolic, but still very important. Since he is very much a proponent of keeping the Bills in Buffalo, it's a good sign that a number of these potential ownership groups do as well.

I was surprised that a number of groups have contacted Kelly as well, since he's been saying for several years he has a group of investors ready to go.

But, it makes sense in a way. Jimbo likely doesn't have the $300+ million to be the largest shareholder, so any role he plays in a new ownership group is more symbolic, but still very important. Since he is very much a proponent of keeping the Bills in Buffalo, it's a good sign that a number of these potential ownership groups do as well.

That was my understanding as well. It may just be that these potential groups (including Trump) have contacted Kelly because he has the strongest ties to Buffalo/the team/Mary Wilson, which would be smart on their part. And Kelly may change groups depending on who has the best chance of landing the team, which would be smart for him.

Yes very surprising. Particularly this quote:

“Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,” Dan Kelly said.

That's a lot of groups!

"Without providing names, Erie County deputy executive Richard Tobe said he has been approached by as many as 10 prospective ownership groups, which he has told to contact the team."

http://sports.yahoo....58866--nfl.html

EDIT:

I'd rather see someone who is super rich and isn't solely buying the team to make a profit, and wants the team to win above all else. Russ Brandon and his team of fools have had a stranglehold on the team for eight long years, and the only thing he proved is he knows how to lose. Time for more changes.

Edited by FeartheLosing

"Without providing names, Erie County deputy executive Richard Tobe said he has been approached by as many as 10 prospective ownership groups, which he has told to contact the team."

http://sports.yahoo....58866--nfl.html

EDIT:

I'd rather see someone who is super rich and isn't solely buying the team to make a profit, and wants the team to win above all else. Russ Brandon and his team of fools have had a stranglehold on the team for eight long years, and the only thing he proved is he knows how to lose. Time for more changes.

Who wouldn't? But beggars can't be choosers.

Who wouldn't? But beggars can't be choosers.

Most fans here don't want to see Trump own the Bills. Yet with a worth of 3.8 billion he isn't a beggar, and he stated he will keep the team in Buffalo.

If Jim Kellly and his group owning the Bills means keeping the same FO to make a profit.... well then I'd rather see Trump win the bid.

Should Kelly, and Trump be in the same group then it would be a win, win as I don't see Trump putting up with Brandon's losing for very long

I wouldn't be surprised, let's say if Trump DID become an owner of the Bills, if down the road sometime he claims the Bills ARE the only real N.Y. team and try and move them somewhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC. I myself wouldn't be upset since I live in Queens, N.Y. and it will be easier to go to a game. But on the flip side of that coin, the prices for tickets will go up and I wouldn't have a reason to leave the city since I don't take "vacations". Driving up to Buffalo is the closest thing to a vacation that I experience in the year.

Trump has my vote only cuz he publicly said he wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo but politics is politics as we all know. Saying and doing are two different things.

Keep the Bills in Buffalo! Cuz it would sound really weird to call our team the NY Bills. People have enough Bills as it is and may cause people more stress for thinking they have a new bill to pay.