Remember the guy who sued the Bills over excessive texts?

Beerball

this is like getting a $25 coupon at Buffalo Chop House for your $100 meal.

Wow this brings back a memory. My sister-in-law buys her parents a $25 gift cert for the Chop House. I'm laughing to myself like WTF good is that? Then she says to my wife and me, "Here's yours too so you can go with mom and dad and treat them". Then I'm like WTF thanks for the $400 tab

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of successful frivolous lawsuit opens the doors for suing for 13 years of pain and suffering.

Wait...

Anyone in with me for a class action?

Wow this brings back a memory. My sister-in-law buys her parents a $25 gift cert for the Chop House. I'm laughing to myself like WTF good is that? Then she says to my wife and me, "Here's yours too so you can go with mom and dad and treat them". Then I'm like WTF thanks for the $400 tab

That won't even cover two glasses of wine unless you're ordering Gallo.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

lord.... i remember a story of a guy getting TONS of texts from a malfunction of some sort. i didnt realize that this was the guy that got 6 texts instead of 5 one week, and 7 a few weeks later. what a terrible human being.

The guy who sued gets an incentive award on top of this for being the lead plaintiff in the class. I am guessing the award will be between 2000 and 25000 dollars, as crazy as that seems. So, it won't matter how many people claim the vouchers; the guy who sued will be making off with a good deal regardless.

From today's News story: $5,000 in cash to Wojcik as class representative.

Bills get preliminary approval for a $3,000,000 settlement. $2,500,000 will be used to pay valid claims. The debit cards will work at the stadium or online store.

Sorry, can't tell you what the remaining $500,000 will go to. Hopefully someone with a subscription will fill in the details. You can get the gist of it here:

http://www.law360.co...excessive-texts

$500K for lawyers I would presume.

13 texts in a week instead of the maximum of 5? Seriously? What a joke. How about this: Unsubscribe. It would take less time than contacting a lawyer and filing a complaint, wouldn't waste everybody's time, and wouldn't lead to people thinking you are simply an a**hole...

This lawsuit is exactly what's wrong with America. Everyone looking to sue the other, raises all of our insurances and prices we pay for everything. It's a joke. As others have pointed out, the settlement is a bit of a joke. Retail markup is traditionally 250%, meaning something that cost the Bills $40 sells to the public at $100. So that $2.5 million will cost the Bills $1 million. Factor in not everyone will redeem the full value, and other may actually spend a bit out of pocket to cover any additional expense. All in all it's not too big of a deal to the Bills, but still I despise these type of lawsuits. And I will back up my position by not taking any of the money offered, as I was one who received those texts. By accepting the money, I'd be a hypocrite.

There are a lot of things wrong with America; this insignificant lawsuit isn't one of them. But kudos to you for standing up for what you believe in -- not accepting a discount card to your favorite team's store. You're a hero.

I usually don't like to chime in on crap like this..... but I think it would be hilarious if someone had Jerry Wojcik's contact info and everyone spammed him with how they felt about his fanhood and moral integrity.

There are a lot of things wrong with America; this insignificant lawsuit isn't one of them. But kudos to you for standing up for what you believe in -- not accepting a discount card to your favorite team's store. You're a hero.

I strongly disagree that there's nothing wrong with this "insignificant" lawsuit. I think it's disturbing. As far as your smart a$$ compliment, gracias.

I strongly disagree that there's nothing wrong with this "insignificant" lawsuit. I think it's disturbing. As far as your smart a$$ compliment, gracias.

Ok, I'll bite. There is NOTHING wrong with this lawsuit. Does it "look" ridiculous on its face? Sure -- but there's a bias out there that attempts to make all lawsuits appear frivolous and unnecessary. This was a consumer protection suit. There are regulations out there to protect people from being spammed and harassed using their phone numbers. Not everyone gets all text messages for free -- do you know what this guy's particular situation was? Maybe he budgets his text use and specifically signed up knowing he wouldn't get more than what they said they would send. We hate this because it was *our* team and how could a *fan* do this, but substitute another company or a marketing agency and most here would sign up. Consumer protection suits like this are necessary because they send a message to other companies to more carefully monitor what they do -- and do what they say.

Related but different question: do you think it's "disturbing" that company after company in this country is systematically taking away your right to have a complaint heard in a court of law?

the guy received 3 more texts over a two week period than he expected....

Jerry Wojcik, a Bills fan and area native now living in Florida, contended in his October 2012 suit that the team violated the terms of its text service by sending him 13 messages over two weeks when it promised to send no more than five per week.

The debit cards are worth $57.50, $65 or $75, depending on which class tier a fan is assigned to.

$562,500 to Wojcik's lawyers and $5,000 in cash to Wojcik as class representative.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/bills-agree-to-3-million-settlement-in-fans-text-message-lawsuit-20140421

Edited by papazoid