Remember the guy who sued the Bills over excessive texts?

Beerball

Bills get preliminary approval for a $3,000,000 settlement. $2,500,000 will be used to pay valid claims. The debit cards will work at the stadium or online store.

Sorry, can't tell you what the remaining $500,000 will go to. Hopefully someone with a subscription will fill in the details. You can get the gist of it here:

http://www.law360.com/articles/529316/nfl-s-bills-win-ok-for-2-5m-deal-over-excessive-texts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills get preliminary approval for a $3,000,000 settlement. $2,500,000 will be used to pay valid claims. The debit cards will work at the stadium or online store.

Sorry, can't tell you what the remaining $500,000 will go to. Hopefully someone with a subscription will fill in the details. You can get the gist of it here:

http://www.law360.co...excessive-texts

So this is why the Bills stopped texting and instead went with news/updates from the Bills' app.

Figure 65% MU on purchases from the Bills store.

Then factor in that some people won't spend 100% of the card, while others may actually go to the store and spend money out of pocket on top of the settlement.... Paying in credits to your own store is quite the deal once you factor in all the benefits

Then factor in that some people won't spend 100% of the card, while others may actually go to the store and spend money out of pocket on top of the settlement.... Paying in credits to your own store is quite the deal once you factor in all the benefits

agree 100%

http://www.law360.co...excessive-texts

Wow. Well, at least the money goes back to the Bills in some way. My guess is remaining 500K is attorney fees. Such a stupid lawsuit.

this is a good point. Bills may make money off of this. Plaintiff's prob saw a looser case, and accepted a deal where they get "money" to buy Bills stuff. All in all sort of a win-win. P's feel vindicated, Bills don't loose much if anything. (except 500K to P's atty's, and money spent on theirs).

This lawsuit is exactly what's wrong with America. Everyone looking to sue the other, raises all of our insurances and prices we pay for everything. It's a joke. As others have pointed out, the settlement is a bit of a joke. Retail markup is traditionally 250%, meaning something that cost the Bills $40 sells to the public at $100. So that $2.5 million will cost the Bills $1 million. Factor in not everyone will redeem the full value, and other may actually spend a bit out of pocket to cover any additional expense. All in all it's not too big of a deal to the Bills, but still I despise these type of lawsuits. And I will back up my position by not taking any of the money offered, as I was one who received those texts. By accepting the money, I'd be a hypocrite.

And I will back up my position by not taking any of the money offered, as I was one who received those texts. By accepting the money, I'd be a hypocrite.

Well I'm torn about it. On one hand I don't care about the texts. But on the other hand by accepting the payout, I can make sure the original person that sued is getting less money, if they split it evenly among all who join the claim.

Well I'm torn about it. On one hand I don't care about the texts. But on the other hand by accepting the payout, I can make sure the original person that sued is getting less money, if they split it evenly among all who join the claim.

That's not how it works. There will be a set amount each claim will be reimbursed. Let's just say there were 50k people receiving the texts. That means each person will be entitled to $50. If less than 50 k apply for the credit they will still get the same $50 and the Bills will save the money. If only 1000 people claimed the credit they wouldn't each get $2500, that's not how the system works as far as I know.

This lawsuit is exactly what's wrong with America. Everyone looking to sue the other, raises all of our insurances and prices we pay for everything. It's a joke.

Agree....spill coffee for millions, get a text get a million.

Makes zero sense. Enjoy your caviar and methed out call girls who haven't lost all their looks yet lawmen.

That's not how it works. There will be a set amount each claim will be reimbursed. Let's just say there were 50k people receiving the texts. That means each person will be entitled to $50. If less than 50 k apply for the credit they will still get the same $50 and the Bills will save the money. If only 1000 people claimed the credit they wouldn't each get $2500, that's not how the system works as far as I know.

The guy who sued gets an incentive award on top of this for being the lead plaintiff in the class. I am guessing the award will be between 2000 and 25000 dollars, as crazy as that seems. So, it won't matter how many people claim the vouchers; the guy who sued will be making off with a good deal regardless.

Thanks. Then I won't bother making a claim if I get informed I can.